Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heat Rash and Gatorade Endurance
Quote | Reply
I have two questions, and they may or may not be related.

1) Can someone confirm the size of the Gatorade Endurance bottles that are provided at the bike aid stations for Ironman? I've been working on a spreadsheet for my nutrition and hydration strategy for IM Chattanooga at the end of the month -- my first Ironman (and my first marathon and perhaps my first century ride as well) -- and the athlete guide doesn't specify. I was under the impression until just now that they were 12 oz bottles since that's the serving size listed on Gatorade's wesbite, but it looks like you can only buy 24 oz bottles on Amazon. Having a 24 oz bottle every 15 miles vs. a 12 oz bottle certainly makes a big difference in my planning.

2) During the last couple of months of training here in Atlanta and during vacation near Charleston, SC I have developed heat rash on the tops of my thighs after every bike ride or even indoor trainer ride over an hour. I feel like I'm getting enough fluid during the workouts, but I've definitely been learning the hard way about hydration and nutrition for long rides over theses last months. Does the heat rash signal that I am definitely falling short of my hydration needs, or is that probably just my body's way of responding to the heat?

Thanks for the help Slowtwitch. You've been helpful over the years as I've read from the shadows.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Rash and Gatorade Endurance [thanimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure they are 24 ounce. If you ever go to the grocery and see the gatorade bottles with sport tops, it is that exact bottle except it has a different label and obviously contains GEF rather than regular Gatorade or G2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatorade only makes endurance in the 24oz size, gallon, or powder from what I have heard and seen (I work for Gatorade). I could be wrong but I believe that's right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heat rash is generally over heating and blocked pores which could be related to the shorts you are wearing. If they are not moisture wicking then that would be a probable cause. It is typical in hot and humid locations when working hard.

Calamine lotion will help with the itching but be sure to clean the area well and let it air dry and let the area breath by wearing loose clothing. I've heard that lanolin can help as well as a prevention before you suit up and head out the door.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Rash and Gatorade Endurance [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prickly heat doesn't have anything to do with hydration. Here is what helps me. As soon as the workout is over, cool the body down. Get into a pool, shower, etc. and get the cold water flowing. Stay in long enough to get the core temperature down. Then get the area dry. Apply some type of medicated zinc powder such as Gold Bond. Let the area breathe and air out. Repeat. Most important is the cold water cooling the area down.
Quote Reply