Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Considering moving to silicon valley, advice please [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Yes, you need to drive..... and good luck with that!
Can you say car-mania and gridlock?

Good riding (a quick 90 min on weekdays)?
Forget it....good rides are at least 30-45 to get to....better drive...(Coast/Canada/Livermore)....
Those who think that Foothill Blvd, Portola, Old La Honda, Canada, etc. are fantastic riding have not seen much of the world or usually ride consuming large quantities of medical brownies.

Good trail running in the valley:
Drive....
Shoreline? You mean the Sunnyvale/MV sewage ponds?
No Thank You.

Open water swimming?
Drive...
over to the coast or up to Golden Gate where the water of the Bay actually gets "recycled".
But the Great Whites really like the whole area too....especially juveniles are adventurous and learn by test-biting things....exciting!

Suburbia at it's worst and those who think this is a great place to live (and have a social life) must not have traveled....
But Money is good, and so are cost of living. If you are a Techie, have no real social life, no interest in Arts and Culture, pull down 100K (which you'll spend mostly just to live there), you may like it.

I am stuck here for now....but I'd rather be elsewhere.

I understand where you're coming from, ideally I wouldn't want to drive everywhere either, but unless I get out the door before 7am on weekends I end up driving to out to the country to cycle, so I am already used to that. I've lived in cities for the last 8 years or so, i am used to crappy places to run...
Quote Reply
Re: Considering moving to silicon valley, advice please [BenE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BenE wrote:
My 2 cents

I have lived in Menlo Park for 15 years. Being single you might find SF better (although MV might be OK), as PA and MP can be kind of lame for younger singles - from what I have heard (although if you are into older women I have heard the cougar scene is alive and well up at Rosewood on Sand Hill :) ).

I believe the biking is better down here than Marin (too much traffic on roads with no shoulders, plus you need to cross the GG bridge - which sounds cooler than it really is -crazy amounts of tourists). The coast rides on the peninsula are nice with limited traffic on most roads - can pick 2-3 ways to go over and come back. Once out to the coast you can do some loops on Highway 1 on the coast and some inner small roads.

The running trails here are awesome - way better than Marin (which other than some famous ones -Dipsea - have a lot of exposed fire roads). I have been dropped off in Rancho San Antonio park and run up to the ridge, along the ridge, and back down to MP for 30-35 mile runs w/ only 3 miles of pavement. Once you get a bit out on the trails you are by yourself - amazingly a lot of people don't seem to utilize these trails - at Huddart I can do 20 mile runs and maybe come across a few people.

Bad side - traffic to Tahoe blows!!! Cost of living (mostly due to rental price) is crazy from what I have been reading.

Good side - every other bike you see in Woodside is $10-15k, you can pick up nice used stuff cheap :)

This resonates with me. I'm torn because MTV is a sleepy town and idk how I feel about living, working, and dating googlers. However, as beautiful as Marin is, all the traffic really turned me off. I can imagine biking up that way and being run off the road by someone in a rental car. I've never run trails so that might be the largest adjustment.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering moving to silicon valley, advice please [Wonnk13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonnk13 wrote:
Dating anywhere around the Bay Area makes me a bit nervous with the guy:girl ratio being what it is...

Oughta be fine down in Man Jose!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Considering moving to silicon valley, advice please [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
Wonnk13 wrote:
Dating anywhere around the Bay Area makes me a bit nervous with the guy:girl ratio being what it is...

Oughta be fine down in Man Jose!

...except i'm a straight dude. I'm imagining a situation in which i'm one of a dozen type A tech-athlete-over-achiever competing for the same woman.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering moving to silicon valley, advice please [Wonnk13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have plenty of friends that do the google SF PA bike route. That's another way of killing two birds with one stone. Good way to get training in and commute to work. The commute is the commute. All the young people seem to live up in the city and commute down here for work. The ones that seem to live down here are in long term relationships or some other tie to the peninsula.

In terms of dating...yeah it sucks... Sorry to break it to you but they don't call silicon valley Man Jose for nothing. Dating though seems to be better these days since all the apps cut through a lot of the bullsh*t. The only advice I've got is to not get insecure about salary and stuff. There is tons of wealth here so if you get into a d*ck measuring contest...you will lose (and I don't just mean exclusively looking at your male competition...the women that you meet will likely earn multiples of what you do). The good thing is that the quality people look for other things. That's how I met, dated, and married my wife:)

There are a bunch of wonderful activities here not just related to tri. I would say that if you are exclusively looking at the bay area for only the tri training opportunities then you've missed the entire boat as to what the bay area offers. Climb, windsurf, surf, kiteboard, outrigger, snowboard (hopefully with el nino), backcountry camp, become a foodie, visit the museums, opera, symphony...etc.

If you do get serious about living in the palo alto/ los altos area. Shoot me a pm and I will see if I can hook you up with housing opportunities down in this area. You are young and I would try the west coast out. Most poeple try their hardest to stay out here when they move here. Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My response should have been in pink :)

Well whatever you figure out, good luck!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, lots of different experiences articulated here. FWIW, I grew up in Texas, have lived in DC and Boston, and have spent a lot of time in CO and northern Europe, but I've been in the Bay Area since '97 and Menlo Park since '99 (spent the first two years in SF), and I'm not sure I'd want to live anywhere else other than maybe the Big Island, but even then I think I'd miss this place.

I moved here when I was 34, so I was a bit further along in my career than you are now, and I was also already married (still am), so I've never experienced the dating scene here firsthand. That said, the benefit of being on a local tri team that has athletes in a range of ages is that I get to observe the dating scene. A whole bunch of marriages (and hookups) have come out of my tri team (Sheeper, but it's probably the same on other teams), and now we're on a babyfest - 8 or 9 couples this year alone (one loses count). Not that you want that at age 27, but all of these couples were single when they joined the team, so it's not exactly an infertile wasteland of exclusively male SV types.

The riding and running on the Peninsula is first-rate in my experience, especially considering where we are. Best access is on the 280 corridor, and that gets expensive, though you can find house rentals and such in remote areas of Portola Valley and Woodside if you look. Open water swim options are few, but I brave the lagoon in Redwood Shores, despite the occasional (non-stinging) jellyfish encounter.

Money is the big issue; those who have "made it" have a very nice life. Those who haven't but want to can find it tough. And then there are those who grew up here and work normal jobs (bakery, schoolteacher, etc.) thanks to inheriting property from their parents. If you only hang out with tech people, you tend to forget that there are many other people who get along just fine here without doing that. Although tech has provided me lots of material things, I don't like to live it 24x7 - I like hanging out and training with people from all walks of life. On long rides, even if I'm riding with tech guys, we rarely talk work. Joint suffering may be the great equalizer. :-)

SF vs Peninsula: I enjoyed my couple of years in SF, but I was focused on running then, so I had lots of options from where I lived (about 6 blocks from Ft. Mason on the edge of Pac Heights). The riding and swimming weren't so convenient, and neither was commuting to Palo Alto (the restaurant options were outstanding, though). Commuting sucks the life out of you no matter where you live, and in a boom economy like we have now the traffic gets very bad. These things never go on forever, but I would take the plunge, play the SV/SF startup lottery and see what happens. If you're lucky, you make some money before a down cycle comes, and then you pounce on some good real estate and ride it up in the next wave. In the meantime, make time to enjoy it here - the weather's great, the landscape is gorgeous, and we have lots of open space and nice roads to ride and run on. If you want to check out Team Sheeper, PM me and I'll get you set up.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived right in the middle of SF for eight years. Very glad I moved. Cost of living and traffic are absurd. I had an easy 10 minute walk commute to work. People that live in SF and commute down the peninsula, or vice versa, are, in my opinion, insane. Studies show that people are at their most unhappy when commuting. People wildly underestimate the opportunity cost in money and happiness of commuting. Time is money, and commuting is misery.

There is a certain disconnect with reality that pervades California, Silicon Valley, and especially SF ("the city"). People have an inflated sense of importance, and think SF is the center of the universe. Sorry but your app that makes it easier to send anonymous pictures of your penis to random girls is not "changing the world".

The training is superb. OWS at Aquatic Park, cycling in Marin, running in GG Park. I could do all of these things basically by stepping out of my front door, and trained year round without any issues.

95K/yr is more than enough. In medical school I survived with a wife and a baby, living in the heart of SF, on about 45K/yr. We had a cute but small apartment, went on modest vacations to see family, ate out once a week, and had money to buy gear and enter races. The fact that other posters on here think that six figures is insufficient is more evidence of how out of touch Bay Area residents are. I had dozens of friends who were single, lived in the city, and had a nice lifestyle on wayyy less than 45K/yr.

Again, very glad to be gone. What it boils down to for me is that it is too crowded and way overpriced for what you get. Caveat to my perspective being that as a doctor, my career opportunities are not constrained by living away from the Bay Area. In fact, I can make 2-3 times as much by moving to a less populated area with the cost of living that is 25% or less of the Bay Area.

my two cents.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering moving to silicon valley, advice please [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK gotcha. (I live in Woodside so don't even need to get in the car.) A good tradeoff might be to move to Redwood City. Fairly affordable, near 280, and short (5-10m) drive to the trails.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering moving to silicon valley, advice please [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
solitude wrote:
There is a certain disconnect with reality that pervades California, Silicon Valley, and especially SF ("the city"). People have an inflated sense of importance, and think SF is the center of the universe.

Boy I can't imagine how anyone would get that impression after reading this thread... /s
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Drew Eckhardt [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Drew Eckhardt: Sep 1, 15 12:45
Re: Considering moving to silicon valley, advice please [Drew Eckhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that got very financially deep quickly. I can't comment on the reasonableness of those figures but I sense that they're probably pretty close. My point of reference is my own situation living in a DIRT CHEAP area of the northeast (upstate NY...and I mean Lake Placid upstate). I'm a regular old CPA bean counter and six figures isn't too difficult of a barrier to break even relatively early in one's career. And a NICE home goes for like 300K here. 450 will get you a house on the water (sizeable lakes up here) and 1M a mansion with a helipad (no jokes). But it's DANG cold up here.

At any rate, that's pretty useless information for the OP aside form the fact that he should be looking for way more than 95. Maybe 150 and I'd be considering the move more seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonnk13 wrote:
I'm 27 years old and just out of a relationship. With nothing holding me down, I figured it's a good time to go off on new adventure and switch coasts for a while (native New Englander now in the DC / Balt. region). Last fall I turned down an offer in Mountainview for 95k a year. Assuming I can get that, or better and can find a roommate I should be able to survive financially.

I'm trying to get a sense of the scene out there. I know the "Bay Area" has a reputation as a good place to train, but can anyone speak to the Mountainview, Palo Alto, Los Altos area? The old La Honda road looks like a decent place to ride, where do everyone do their swimming? And how livable would, hypothetically, 95k be before tax? That doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room considering rent is gonna be easily 2k a month.

Another option I know even less about is Boulder, CO; I would absolutely move there I just need to research the tech scene a bit more to get a sense of the jobs in the area.

I know this is a very broad post, but I'm genuinely interested in the experiences / feedback from those of you who are wiser / know the area better than I do.

1. What's the growth potential on the 95K? Is it an engineering gig at some VC-backed startup? You're not going to be happy living long-term in SV at 95K and I doubt you want to be stuck here when there's a cyclical correction.

2. SV is a sausage fest and will probably be even after any downturn. Supply and demand is not on your side.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering moving to silicon valley, advice please [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
Wonnk13 wrote:
I'm 27 years old and just out of a relationship. With nothing holding me down, I figured it's a good time to go off on new adventure and switch coasts for a while (native New Englander now in the DC / Balt. region). Last fall I turned down an offer in Mountainview for 95k a year. Assuming I can get that, or better and can find a roommate I should be able to survive financially.

1. What's the growth potential on the 95K? Is it an engineering gig at some VC-backed startup?

Venture backed startups (I've worked for five with three in series-A, and talked to dozens of others) can meet big company base salary through around the principal engineer level, although you won't get a match on bonus or restricted stock sellable for a lot of money as soon as it vests.

Note however the pay goes with the position not the person. If they need a senior engineer with five years of experience, the cash and stock budget is for that level and you won't do better with twenty and director level experience.

I pass on venture funded startups that won't pay enough because the position is more junior than they claim, they don't value engineers making good treatment less likely, they don't understand the difference better engineers make, and/or their technical problems don't require better engineers so they're boring. There are plenty of others with work at least as interesting, some of which are doing the same thing.

Tangentially, quora.com is probably a better place to get answers on software engineering in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Last edited by: Drew Eckhardt: Sep 1, 15 15:00
Quote Reply
Re: Considering moving to silicon valley, advice please [kollac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine just bought a glorified cement trailer on 1/10th of an acre in a lousy neighborhood in Redwood City for $1 million. It's the ugliest house I've ever seen.

That's my definition of insanity, but to each his own.

If I were young and single and ready for an adventure, I'd move to Colorado.

For what it's worth, I've lived in SF for seven years (five of those years as a student with no money).
Quote Reply
Re: Considering moving to silicon valley, advice please [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
I've got a pretty cynical view of SV. The nice places to recreate are too far away from where you can afford to live (which is also pretty far away from your job, and if not your first job, then your next one, which is part of the reason you live in SV, so that you can be working again on Monday after you lost your prior job on Friday), so then your choices are to suffer in soul-swallowing traffic or to instead wallow in mediocrity on the filth-ridden "trails" that are nearby the shitty overpriced 1bd apartment you can barely afford. That's starting to get ranty so I'll shut up.

I know that there are places I could live happily there, but 95k/yr wouldn't even come close to making that happen. Or, I could find a sweet place to live that's relatively more affordable and be faced with a 2hr commute.

Works fine for many many people, but it's death by a thousand cuts for me. I'd go Michael Douglas in "Falling Down" within a year there.

Fantastic post! haha
I used to live in LA at the beach and the options were more or less the same.

Bill Foster: Why am I calling you by your first names? I don't even know you. I still call my boss "Mister", and I've been working for him for seven years, but all of a sudden I walk in here and I'm calling you Rick and Sheila like we're in some kind of AA meeting... I don't want to be your buddy, Rick. I just want some breakfast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonnk13 wrote:
renorider wrote:
Wonnk13 wrote:

...except i'm a straight dude. I'm imagining a situation in which i'm one of a dozen type A tech-athlete-over-achiever competing for the same woman.

Do you mean nerds?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoCal (LA/Orange County) and the Bay Area are extreme. There is no better description. So many amazing qualities that can't be found anywhere else, but it comes at a massive price, and not just a monetary price.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering moving to silicon valley, advice please [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
Wonnk13 wrote:

I'm trying to get a sense of the scene out there. I know the "Bay Area" has a reputation as a good place to train, but can anyone speak to the Mountainview, Palo Alto, Los Altos area? The old La Honda road looks like a decent place to ride, where do everyone do their swimming? And how livable would, hypothetically, 95k be before tax? That doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room considering rent is gonna be easily 2k a month.

Another option I know even less about is Boulder, CO; I would absolutely move there I just need to research the tech scene a bit more to get a sense of the jobs in the area.

I know this is a very broad post, but I'm genuinely interested in the experiences / feedback from those of you who are wiser / know the area better than I do.

1. What's the growth potential on the 95K? Is it an engineering gig at some VC-backed startup? You're not going to be happy living long-term in SV at 95K and I doubt you want to be stuck here when there's a cyclical correction.

2. SV is a sausage fest and will probably be even after any downturn. Supply and demand is not on your side.

1. That offer actually came from GOOG (non engineering position). With cost of living, 95k in SV would def be a paycut relative to what i'm making now (startup that just raised B round, insanely stressful-- ie gf couldn't stand it). With the perks and weather, I think could stomach a slightly smaller paycheck for the experience professionally. For sure, within a couple years if I wasn't north of 130k i'd be out of there, stock package be damned.
Quote Reply

Prev Next