Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lionel and the "Kona Special"
Quote | Reply
I was chatting with an IM Pro winner a while back and we was talkin' Kona. I said it would be ideal to head over there for months, train in the environment so that it feels like your home. To drop in and race to peak performance has got to be difficult in those unique conditions, time shift etc.

OK so here's LS's Kona simulation training Canadian style:

<

Heck of an effort, must be rotting the beams in the house! The only glitch I see is the swim.(freshwater/wetsuit) Actually the best place in Canada to simulate a Kona swim would be Kits pool here in Vancouver - salt water and 75DegF, 130M long.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel and the "Kona Special" [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOLS - his wallpaper is himself running neck to neck with frodeno
We all know how that turned out - so pretty good inspiration
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lionel is a beast the dude inspires me for sure!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That guy is a beast. Wow. Will be fun to pull for him in Kona. I had a chance to talk to him briefly at IMTX and he couldn't have been any more down to earth and nicer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Kona prep

Really disappointed he's not doing 70.3 WC in Austria.

Hilly bike would be teally good for him
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His training regiment is unbelievable. Love watching this guy come out of the water minutes back and blow through the male pros like they're AGers. Hope his swimming can catch up a bit to the rest of his game and that he doesn't burn himself out..
Can't wait to watch him in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel and the "Kona Special" [davegraham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now's the chance for all the fishes on here to critique his swim stroke.

Even to my turtle speed eye it looked awkward.
Although 4k of swimming in an hour is still outrageous.
(not to mention the rest of his day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if I'm completely wrong, but it appears he has somewhat of a nasty right knee tracking issue on the bike.

That said.....what he does it unbelievable!

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel and the "Kona Special" [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
I don't know if I'm completely wrong, but it appears he has somewhat of a nasty right knee tracking issue on the bike.

I saw that, too. I'm certainly not an expert, but the right knee does move outside quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel and the "Kona Special" [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever seen Froome's elbows while he's riding -- apparently not a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel and the "Kona Special" [pricardo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elbows moving is a whole lot better than a knee moving laterally during a pedal stroke. One leads to a lot more injuries.

He should come in pretty rested after taking it easier at his last IM and not doing 70.3WC. A top 10 in Kona would be good for him with him not finishing a full IM strong (IMFL did not have a swim).
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel and the "Kona Special" [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
LOLS - his wallpaper is himself running neck to neck with frodeno
We all know how that turned out - so pretty good inspiration

That's awesome!! It's pretty hard not to cheer for this guy... He's all heart and hard work. I doubt he'll win in kona, but I sure hope he has a strong day.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel and the "Kona Special" [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always noticed his knee as well. I think it is very pronounced because his cadence is also rather low compared to most. He seems to favor the slower more powerful pedal stroke. Which makes his running ability even more amazing. I would be dead if I tried pushing that gear, at his power for any amount of time. His blog is great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love how he does

"I have no set plan on the bike"

3.5 hours later...

When I have no plan on the bike, I ride about 15 minutes
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel and the "Kona Special" [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surprising to me that he doesn't ride in aero on the trainer. I find that I put out slightly less watts in aero. When doing longer race simulations I try and stay down and target those muscles specifically.

Regardless those numbers in those conditions are pretty spectacular. Looks like he's got his hydration dialed in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:

According to the latest LAVA crapazine it's due to riding the Computrainer all the time. Seriously. Good read the article.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew from race video that he has unusual run form. However, nothing prepared me for seeing it in person. It's the same on the bike, his knee tracks outside and then wham, massive push down. On the run, it is extremely pronounced. Almost looks like a long jumper planting for takeoff with each stride!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel and the "Kona Special" [IndyClay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When the video cam almost immediately fogged up in his work out room, all I could think about was how much mold is growing in that room.

If he's renting, I wouldn't want to be the owner unless Lionel is taking measures to rid the house of the humidity.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply