Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me choose my first tri bike on a budget
Quote | Reply
I would like to purchase locally, so that would leave only felt, specialized, argon, giant, and cannondale in the mix.
For a 45 minute drive I can include trek, and for 2.5 hours I can throw in cervelo and BMC.
I think giant plans to release a new tri bike during Kona, I think felt is supposed to offer cheaper IA versions, but the new models obviously won't have any discounts :(
I'm in no hurry, my next race will probably be June!
I currently ride a Tarmac and expect this will continue to be my primary ride.

I would like to stay under $3k, but all things are negotiable!

What would you get and why?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my first tri bike on a budget [SpeedNeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new IA 10, 14, and 16 models are going to be awesome. I'd wait for that.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my first tri bike on a budget [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that - I hadn't heard of those.
If they do offer an IA 16 that would be very tempting for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well get fitted and then check their stack/reach
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my first tri bike on a budget [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears I have two options for a proper fitting - one is an hour drive and one is 4 hour drive.
The hour drive guy said he could only do a fit to a bike I had?
The other guy I have not spoken to, though it sounds like he can do it without a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suggest you get accurately fit to the bike you have, then take those coordinates and determine best bike fit for you of the candidate brands/models. One to consider is the Felt B14. Very sweet spot from a price/performance standpoint. About half the new ST-approved sweet spot ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my first tri bike on a budget [BubbaKardashian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can get a b14 today for 20% off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Argon E117 Tri+

I may be selling my Shiv for one of these after this season and I don't have an Argon dealer within 5 hours of me lol!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my first tri bike on a budget [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note the BUDGET part of my post.
;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read $3400 MSRP I would think you could get close to your budget. Plus if the bento box and rear hydration storage is included with the + and its $3400 that would be tough to beat after you add those accessories to anything else. We will see though when they actually release them and what is all included and not included.

My wote would probably be a Cervelo P2 although I would upgrade most of what it comes with but out of the box its still looks like a pretty decent bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about an e112 build?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpeedNeeder wrote:
I can get a b14 today for 20% off.

B14 at 20% off + Flo front and rear + good deal on Quarq = pretty damn fast bike with great PM for about $3500. That's what I did. Very happy with the result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a bike crash July 4th and had to replace my 2011 C'dale slice that I LOVED.

I ended up with a 15 Cervelo P2. Blown away - easy to work on, impressed with 105 11 speed. If it works - it's a little rocketship.

I'm pretty sure it's half responsible for my KQ even though I had literally 4 rides on it :)

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:
I read $3400 MSRP

For the + frameset... http://triathlon.competitor.com/...dels-for-2016_120827
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my first tri bike on a budget [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AHH, the regular 117tri is what is $3400 with an Ultegra build. I am sure that can be sourced in his budget and the other stuff added later. If I had an Argon dealer close to me I would at least shop them and see what kind of options they can offer in your price range.

Still, P2 tough to beat Ive seen 2015s on closeout for $2k. I believe It was at Bike Authority in Cleveland that had one at that price I think it was a 56 too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpeedNeeder wrote:
It appears I have two options for a proper fitting - one is an hour drive and one is 4 hour drive.
The hour drive guy said he could only do a fit to a bike I had?
The other guy I have not spoken to, though it sounds like he can do it without a bike.

without
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P2 is a great bike. And if you score a used one just a few years old, you'll still have dollars to outfit your vessel with the right stuff.
Quote Reply