Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Share with me your favourite vertical bike wall mount
Quote | Reply
My company is moving to a new office location soon and our office manager has specced in a dedicated bike storage room. The room is a bit on the small side so in order to optimise storage space, we're planning to install mounts on the wall to allow people to hang their bike vertically (i.e. by the front wheel). A quick Google search reveals quite a few options (some deluxe; some basic). I know most Slowtwitchers are known for not having an opinion about *anything* but I figured I'd poll the collective wisdom to see if there are any popular choices out there.

Some requirements:
  1. Need to be able to mount each bracket separately so that their heights can be staggered (to allow for bikes to be a little closer together).
  2. Each mount needs to be able to accommodate any width of wheel (road, hybrid, mountain -- but probably not fat bike)
  3. Does not need to include added bracketry for locking the bikes to the wall

Any suggestions?

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Last edited by: Croptop: Aug 25, 15 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Share with me your favourite vertical bike wall mount [Croptop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have looked at a bunch, but end up using these:

Really the only problem is if you have a non-structural fairing on your wheel (flo, hed, etc.). In my garage, I just stagger them high/low on each beam. Sometimes simple just gets the job done.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Share with me your favourite vertical bike wall mount [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:

Really the only problem is if you have a non-structural fairing on your wheel (flo, hed, etc.). In my garage, I just stagger them high/low on each beam. Sometimes simple just gets the job done.

Yep, I have three of these at various spots in my garage. My three bikes, wife's bmx bike, kids bike, treadmill, trainer all in the garage and we still fit our two cars in there. Screw these puppies into a stud and it stays put.

trav

Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:

X3. Unless you have some deep dish commuter rims, I go for these. Cept mine are black and therefore, much cooler. I used to cut a strip of microfiber cleaning rag and tied it around the hook to act as padding, but you don't even really need that. The black ones have foam instead of plastic.
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Share with me your favourite vertical bike wall mount [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion (and the reaffirmation of the suggestion), all. This definitely looks like the cheapest, easiest solution. One dumb question, though: can this hook be screwed into metal studs (after drilling a pilot hole, of course). The framing at the new office building uses all metal studs rather than wood so I'm not sure that these will work.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: Share with me your favourite vertical bike wall mount [Croptop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, is the simple answer. The metal studs usually are a very thin galv. sheet metal and will not hold a screw thread for this amount of load (think tin can strength). Load bearing metal studs would not usually be used on interior walls and even then would not be much better (slightly thicker metal). Drilling completely through to the other side, then bolting a wood ledger (or something like that) over the width of two or more studs (16" centers) to which you could mount a hook (s) could work, on both sides of the wall. If the contractor knows that this kind of mount (hook) is going to be used they would normally add a 2 x 2 or 2 x 3 (whatever fits inside the stud) before drywall goes on. But you would have to make sure you aren't drilling through any services (electrical, water, waste, AC, you name it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While a bit more expensive, for an office environment where the dry wall hangs on metal studs, I would think a wall system like the Monkey-Bar bike wall rack would be a better solution.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Share with me your favourite vertical bike wall mount [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to suggest something like that but on a more basic process. In my apt, I needed to come up with a way to mount 3 bikes in 42". I mounted a 1x3 piece of wood at the height of the wheels. and Screwed in the hooks pictured above. Then staggered them with 1 bike front wheel up, next bike, rear wheel up, then front again. It worked great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought these when they were on kickstarter. Works great for me-http://www.getclug.com

They have three sizes, so you could mix it up...
Quote Reply
Re: Share with me your favourite vertical bike wall mount [ceswee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really want to like the Clug, but have had two problems with mine. First, if your tire goes flat your bike falls, because the Clug grips the tire and not the wheel. I returned from a ride, racked my bike, and 30 minutes later heard a CRASH. My tire had picked up a slow leak and I didn't realize it while riding. Enough pressure released after I racked it that it fell. Second, Clug doesn't work with Challenge Elite 700x23 (and maybe some other) tires. Challenge has a thickish bit of tread that extends to about 10pm and 2pm. The tire rattles around just enough in the Clug below this tread that I don't trust it.
Quote Reply
Re: Share with me your favourite vertical bike wall mount [ceswee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ceswee wrote:
I bought these when they were on kickstarter. Works great for me-http://www.getclug.com

They have three sizes, so you could mix it up...

Doesn't this depend on an inflated tire, e.g. if you left a bike racked for a few weeks or longer and the tires lost air, wouldn't the bike potentially drop out of the holder?
Quote Reply
Re: Share with me your favourite vertical bike wall mount [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that can impact it. d be more concerned about riding my bike with low air pressure. I didn't take the OP's inquiry of one for long term storage-daily storage for commuters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right, for the OP this should be a non-issue. But for longer-term storage of multiple bikes, seems like a concern, many of us presumably have multiple bikes and some of them don't see much action. Since this wasn't addressed, was wondering if I was somehow misinterpreting how key tire air pressure seemed to keeping the bike secure.
Quote Reply
Re: Share with me your favourite vertical bike wall mount [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell from personal experience that they do. This winter I got injured so I couldn't ride my TT bike (w/ latex tubes). I forgot to inflate the tires regularly and the bike droped to the floor.
Quote Reply
Re: Share with me your favourite vertical bike wall mount [pbateman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pbateman wrote:
I can tell from personal experience that they do. This winter I got injured so I couldn't ride my TT bike (w/ latex tubes). I forgot to inflate the tires regularly and the bike droped to the floor.

A pretty big caveat for this design, though in certain circumstances--like a daily commuter--still a potentially useful product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.cycloc.com/

How about these? Looks quite versatile in terms of mounting direction and look pretty cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every single "daily commuter" bike storage facility I've ever seen has ended up with a bunch of bikes collecting dust in it for months or years. A bike rack that drops your bike when the tires go flat might actually be wrote a useful way of dissuading people from abandoning their bikes there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Steadyrack in my garage

https://www.steadyrack.com/

Bit pricier than the basic hook options, but being able to fold the bikes flat to the wall after you've buying them is nice. Only issue I could see would be that the bikes do end up touching each other if you do that, so if you had some people who were OCD about their bikes it could cause some friction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - I've got this at the Kitsilano training studio. DA50's just squeak into the rack (at your own risk) but all other regular wheels lock in easily. Mounts to a stud. I think it's great.

<http://www.mec.ca/...ck/?f=10+50002+51534

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an older version of these- really nice in that uses multiple bolts, manages the torque well of the wheel on the hook, looks nice. I didn't pay $20, but probably $10 each.

http://www.performancebike.com/..._1023886_-1___000000

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the red hooks posted above. I mounted a horizontal 2x4 to the wall in my garage and then screwed the hooks into the 2x4. This allowed me to get the bikes at the exact height that I wanted, and I could put the bikes as close or as far apart as i wanted to since it doesn't matter where the studs are. I also have hooks for spare wheels between the bikes.

I don't know if steel stud would be strong enough to hold the 2x4 and the bikes.
Quote Reply