Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bormio Italy Riding (was a Pool search thread)
Quote | Reply
A bunch of us are heading over to Bormio for a couple of days of riding before going to 70.3 WC's (I guess taking the longer scenic route to get to Austria from Munich) . Anyone suggest a pool or a lake for swim options. Primary plan is to try to do Stelvio and Gavia if weather cooperates, but if not would be interested in a swim too. Can't give up too much time to Manofthewoods next time I am in the same event as him and he swims like a fish!!!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 27, 15 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Bormio Italy Pool or Lake Swim Options [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I recall there's no lake in Bormio and the public swimming pool is rather expensive but OK. Far better to use the stunning old roman spa! Especially once you've done a few of those monster climbs. Don't underestimate the Stelvio, you ride almost to the top from Bormio, drop down and then climb it again from the Swiss side. It's a 5 plus hour ride and the weather can close in quickly. For the Gavia make sure you've got some lights, the tunnels twist so you cannot see from one end through to the other. You can also ride to Livignio and that does have a lake but it would be quite a long day too.

Hope that helps,
SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't swim there when I was in Bormio, but Bormio Terme is just before the road starts to go up the Stelvio.
It looked decent enough.

http://www.bormioterme.it/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you dog! the 3 biggies are there. you didn't mention the mortirolo. what would be better, racing the 70.3 worlds or just staying there doing those climbs?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Bormio Italy Pool or Lake Swim Options [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anything is better than climbing the mortirolo!
never ending 12-20% road going though thick forest, I can see why people would climb the Gavia and Stelvio multiple times, but the Mortirolo? no way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did a 10-day cycling trip in this area in June. We didn't swim while in Bormio because we were too busy riding, but if there had been a convenient swim venue, I'm sure my husband would have taken advantage of it since he was right in the middle of IM training. Have fun!

Top of Gavia:

Top of Stelvio (48 switchbacks)

Quote Reply
Re: Bormio Italy Pool or Lake Swim Options [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
never ending 12-20% road going though thick forest, I can see why people would climb the Gavia and Stelvio multiple times, but the Mortirolo? no way!

The hard core guys in our group all climbed it and I think it was solely for the bragging rights.
Quote Reply
Re: Bormio Italy Pool or Lake Swim Options [jenschaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jenschaf wrote:
NUFCrichard wrote:

The hard core guys in our group all climbed it and I think it was solely for the bragging rights.

The Mortirolo is one tough beast. I'd do it again though just so I could do the Mortirolo, Gavia loop. We had intended to do that, but a pretty cold rain started and we turned around as we didn't want to get stuck on the other side of a 9,000' pass (Gavia) due to snow or have to do a Hampsten to get back to Bormio. I'd also like to go back and do the Stelvio, Stelvio loop.

Okay, basically if I had my way I'd spend all of next summer going up and down passes in the Dolomites, Alps and Pyrenees. Maybe I should start a gofundme. :-)

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Bormio Italy Pool or Lake Swim Options [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:

Nonsense. The Mortirolo was awesome, truly a bitch, but it was a great ride. I had to turn off autopause on my Garmin though it's so steep in some sections. Had some lunch at the top and then headed over to the Gavia which was even better. The screaming descent from the Gavia back into Bormio was a blast as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the resorts in town has a hot spring fed lap pool, it was closed when I was there in May so I don't know if it's too hot to actually swim laps in. Very jealous, if you have time add the cancano climb in there, it's right in Bormio as well and has some great views, it short too, only an hour or so round trip iirc
Quote Reply
Re: Bormio Italy Pool or Lake Swim Options [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
you dog! the 3 biggies are there. you didn't mention the mortirolo. what would be better, racing the 70.3 worlds or just staying there doing those climbs?

Dan.....DOOOH....I should have just stayed in Bormio and skipped coming to Austria....and canned the 70.3 World's. So I got in Gavia, Stevlio and Bormio 2000 (the local ski hill 10K 700m vertical) in the 34 hours I was in Bormio. If I had my choice and If I planned better, I would have stayed one more day and stayed all day Thurday and done Stelvio and Gavia from both sides and had Fri morning to do one more climb, then drive to Zelle, "taper" on Saturday and race on Sunday. I will post some pictures on here for those who are not on my FB page where I posted some. I did not have time for Mortirolo on the schedule we were on.

I actually expected to see more tri bike over in Bormio thinking that more tri geeks would use the 300ish kilometer proximity to go ride some of those climbs while they are here in Europe, but basically saw no triathletes there.
Quote Reply
Re: Bormio Italy Pool or Lake Swim Options [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
jenschaf wrote:
NUFCrichard wrote:

The Mortirolo is one tough beast. I'd do it again though just so I could do the Mortirolo, Gavia loop. We had intended to do that, but a pretty cold rain started and we turned around as we didn't want to get stuck on the other side of a 9,000' pass (Gavia) due to snow or have to do a Hampsten to get back to Bormio. I'd also like to go back and do the Stelvio, Stelvio loop.

Okay, basically if I had my way I'd spend all of next summer going up and down passes in the Dolomites, Alps and Pyrenees. Maybe I should start a gofundme. :-)

I am thinking that a good way to spend a week would be 3 days in Bormio with double Gavia and double Stelvio loops, then make your way across to Bourg d'Oisans and cram in as much riding on Col de Ferm, Glandon, Mollard, Galibier and les deux alps and then end the week with the Alp d'Huez tri where you get to do Ornon and Alpe d'Huez. Might be nice to do Alp d'Huez standalone on a single day just to be able to time it.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
jenschaf wrote:
NUFCrichard wrote:

I am thinking that a good way to spend a week would be 3 days in Bormio with double Gavia and double Stelvio loops, then make your way across to Bourg d'Oisans and cram in as much riding on Col de Ferm, Glandon, Mollard, Galibier and les deux alps and then end the week with the Alp d'Huez tri where you get to do Ornon and Alpe d'Huez. Might be nice to do Alp d'Huez standalone on a single day just to be able to time it.

Dev

The idea that anybody would ride up Alpe d'Huez at anything other than full gas to compare yourself to the pro's seems crazy. Like going into a guitar store and not playing the opening riff of Stairway to Heaven on that sunburst Les Paul. Like going into a Krispy Kreme to just order coffee.

It is your DUTY.

I'm just saying...

Before Strava there was timtoo.fr. You could rent a transponder at the tourist office in Bourg D'Oisains to carry in your pocket and it would automatically time you. Afterwards you could go back to the tourist office and get a printed "Diplome, La Montee de l'Alpe d'Huez" to hang on your cube wall at work. Of course with the advent of Strava and a gazillion people riding the mountain in La Marmotte and what all, the timtoo list is kind of thin compared to Strava. But Strava doesn't give you the diploma to hang on your wall! Only one Euro. Well worth the trouble.

http://www.timtoo.fr/chronos_list/7

BTW, we stayed one night in a nice little hotel in Le Freney d'Oisans when our car broke down. My wife was checking the hotels in Bourg d'Oisans and was not happy with what she found. The tow driver's garage was in Le Freney just down the street from this place so he took us there. Worth checking out. Hotel Le Cassini

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Bormio Italy Riding (was a Pool search thread) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing, and I mean nothing better than two days cycling in Bormio. Day 1 up the Stelvio, descend into Switzerland via Umbrail Pass and then back up Stelvio's famed 48 tornante from Prato with descent back to Bormio. Day two Bormio to Mazzo then up Mortirolo, descend to Ponte de Legno and ascend Gavia and return to Bormio. Epic climbing, epic descents, epic scenery and epic satisfaction. My buddies and I all universally think the Gavia is the most beautiful climbing experience and the Mortirolo the most evil.
Quote Reply
Re: Bormio Italy Riding (was a Pool search thread) [Zuzzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zuzzy wrote:
Nothing, and I mean nothing better than two days cycling in Bormio. Day 1 up the Stelvio, descend into Switzerland via Umbrail Pass and then back up Stelvio's famed 48 tornante from Prato with descent back to Bormio. Day two Bormio to Mazzo then up Mortirolo, descend to Ponte de Legno and ascend Gavia and return to Bormio. Epic climbing, epic descents, epic scenery and epic satisfaction. My buddies and I all universally think the Gavia is the most beautiful climbing experience and the Mortirolo the most evil.

Thanks....this is exactly my plan if there is a next time....and I hope there is. There are very few things in endurance sport that could beat those 2 days (assuming of course it is not 2C and pissing rain/snowing at the summits). We got a perfect window, but not quite enough time to do that and everything else that had to be done with our small group.
Quote Reply