Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
SharkFM wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Marcelo Chierighini shits and giggles, his height and weight, lists his BMI at [pink]

Yeah and dying off at the finish >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIxotMyBgPo all giggles im sure.

Ummm, I really don't mean to seem rude but he doesn't seem to be "dying off at the finish" and, more to the point, even if he did, this was at the end of 48.8 100 LCM (42.5 SCY). When you get down to swimming 100 LCM in under 48.8, or 100 scy in under 42.5, be sure to let us know; otherwise, i would not be so quick to criticize a guy who i think is consid faster than you.

Besides, isn't your wife a swim coach??? Why don't you just swim the workouts her team does??? This would prob be your best bet at getting faster. You have a "live-in swim coach", use her!!! I'll take a swim coach over a "food coach" any day:)

Chierighini went faster than that at Worlds and at the meet I just referenced.
He must have lost weight since Pan Ams. (Quote)

Oh of course, there is no other possible explanation:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
[
Ummm, I really don't mean to seem rude but he doesn't seem to be "dying off at the finish" and, more to the point, even if he did, this was at the end of 48.8 100 LCM (42.5 SCY). When you get down to swimming 100 LCM in under 48.8, or 100 scy in under 42.5, be sure to let us know; otherwise, i would not be so quick to criticize a guy who i think is consid faster than you.
Chierighini went faster than that at Worlds and at the meet I just referenced.
He must have lost weight since Pan Ams. (Quote)
Oh of course, there is no other possible explanation:)

He smoked the first 50, but didn't have much left for his finishing kick, overtaken by the leaner dudes. The zone where efficiency starts to supersede the power at cost. 50M vs 100 quite different those two. Just what I see.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
I don't know what you mean (or even if you know what you mean) by "changing body chemistry". Basically everything you do changes your body chemistry, mostly short-term reversible effects, caffeine included.

I think the ergogenic effects of it on race day are indisputable though and one thing that is almost universally overlooked is habituation. As someone that works in medical research, it's so frustrating to see people cherry-pick arguments from papers that support their cause without acknowledging the conditions and limitations of the testing procedure. Most of the peer-reviewed studies that people are throwing around here will have their subjects abstain from caffeine for a period before studying the effect of reintroducing it. If you don't regularly consume caffeine, your body will respond very differently to a race-day dose than that of a 4-6 cup-a-day drinker. In that regard alone, I'd say it could be beneficial (performance-wise) to cut out coffee and use it as an ergogenic training/racing supplement. Long term health benefits and general wellbeing are a completely different subject matter though.

I don't suppose many people will appreciate this though. As the mainstream media prove time and time again, it's easier just to cherry-pick arguments that support your bias than to actually take an objective standpoint.

Yes that is exactly the clinic protocol. To reboot, Christina's discussion around my food log was firstly Q what level do I want to implement? A "give me the gold standard". Then she began to break it down, leading to: No coffee, no coke. However for race day she was very specific on when to introduce caffeine etc. After a discussion about decaf (no) and she was rolling out the plan to wean off - I stopped her and said "OK forget all that we go cold turkey as of now, and really I don't need caffeine on "race day" - for me what's the point? Kind of like when I stopped any alcohol consumption years ago, when I stop, I'm stopping for good.

Chemically - I noticed a change in my skin, urine, intestines, my head, and now further on - in my joints. I don't think you can hydrate your way out of a coffee induced diuretic situation. Coming up on one week in, my joints feel spectacular. I've been on the bike 2 hours everyday this week, in addition to 1 hour in the pool and some light running or walking afterward. I'm sleeping less but sleeping more. Yeah I had some withdrawal symptoms for sure, dopiness at times and I would also classify as blues or depression, but things are starting to line out.

It's weird but the wall clock seems to have slowed down, which is drag when you are working!

But yeah it's OK I'm all cool with it. Although I was very impressed by the swimmers at the worlds (your gold standard right there) I did not book the appt to swim faster. That 's bonkers, I don't care my swimming has been off the chain this summer anyway. fast enough.

I didn't know what to expect, I just knew I could not go this one alone. At the end of the day I'm a bear with his nose in the garbage can.

Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
aw3 wrote:
I don't know what you mean (or even if you know what you mean) by "changing body chemistry". Basically everything you do changes your body chemistry, mostly short-term reversible effects, caffeine included.

I think the ergogenic effects of it on race day are indisputable though and one thing that is almost universally overlooked is habituation. As someone that works in medical research, it's so frustrating to see people cherry-pick arguments from papers that support their cause without acknowledging the conditions and limitations of the testing procedure. Most of the peer-reviewed studies that people are throwing around here will have their subjects abstain from caffeine for a period before studying the effect of reintroducing it. If you don't regularly consume caffeine, your body will respond very differently to a race-day dose than that of a 4-6 cup-a-day drinker. In that regard alone, I'd say it could be beneficial (performance-wise) to cut out coffee and use it as an ergogenic training/racing supplement. Long term health benefits and general wellbeing are a completely different subject matter though.

I don't suppose many people will appreciate this though. As the mainstream media prove time and time again, it's easier just to cherry-pick arguments that support your bias than to actually take an objective standpoint.

Yes that is exactly the clinic protocol. To reboot, Christina's discussion around my food log was firstly Q what level do I want to implement? A "give me the gold standard". Then she began to break it down, leading to: No coffee, no coke. However for race day she was very specific on when to introduce caffeine etc. After a discussion about decaf (no) and she was rolling out the plan to wean off - I stopped her and said "OK forget all that we go cold turkey as of now, and really I don't need caffeine on "race day" - for me what's the point? Kind of like when I stopped any alcohol consumption years ago, when I stop, I'm stopping for good.

Chemically - I noticed a change in my skin, urine, intestines, my head, and now further on - in my joints. I don't think you can hydrate your way out of a coffee induced diuretic situation. Coming up on one week in, my joints feel spectacular. I've been on the bike 2 hours everyday this week, in addition to 1 hour in the pool and some light running or walking afterward. I'm sleeping less but sleeping more. Yeah I had some withdrawal symptoms for sure, dopiness at times and I would also classify as blues or depression, but things are starting to line out.

It's weird but the wall clock seems to have slowed down, which is drag when you are working!

But yeah it's OK I'm all cool with it. Although I was very impressed by the swimmers at the worlds (your gold standard right there) I did not book the appt to swim faster. That 's bonkers, I don't care my swimming has been off the chain this summer anyway. fast enough.

I didn't know what to expect, I just knew I could not go this one alone. At the end of the day I'm a bear with his nose in the garbage can.

3 weeks in.. more placebo effect. hold on for 3 months (this is the average age of a cell in your body) then you can make conclusions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
After some thought (actually the swimmer BMI thread), I figure the most important priority is not for training regimen, gear, technical, race strategy etc. it's actually for health & performance of the "engine" or racer, long term.

I guess it is a bit like putting boost and chipping an engine, pulling weight, standard racer stuff - except we are working with muscles and blood vs metal and oil.

So I went to google and found a nutritionist at optimal performance here in Vancouver. She's worked with the Canucks and swim clubs etc. Going today, in a few hours.

Anyone on here have a nutrition coach?

Maximize vegetables, grains, beans and veggies; minimize processed foods, sugar, dairy products, oils, meats, eggs, etc.
That's all you need to know. I just saved you a lot of money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
aw3 wrote:

Chemically - I noticed a change in my skin, urine, intestines, my head, and now further on - in my joints. I don't think you can hydrate your way out of a coffee induced diuretic situation. Coming up on one week in, my joints feel spectacular. I've been on the bike 2 hours everyday this week, in addition to 1 hour in the pool and some light running or walking afterward. I'm sleeping less but sleeping more. Yeah I had some withdrawal symptoms for sure, dopiness at times and I would also classify as blues or depression, but things are starting to line out..

Not a thing as it turns out: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Up the bean intake but kick coffee? Coffee is beanz jackhole
Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
Try again chap. I said health, not performance. I don't question caffeine's ability to improve performance. The OP said health, the health claim was challenged.

I think finding studies talking about long term benefits of caffeine consumption will be far and few. Nearly a year ago, I was working with a doctor to improve some hormone levels. Caffeine was the first thing he cut out. None, zilch, nada for 100 days.

Just curious as to why 100 days ?? Is that to allow everything to line out?

I finding that I feel really sensitive to salt last few days, so I am upping my water intake and just eating fresh foods. I think this is because the diuretic effect of coffee (and it had that on me big time) was likely flushing salt and perhaps other electrolytes down the drain.

One week in and my stomach has flattened and I've definitely lost a few pounds.

Quote Reply

Prev Next