Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me pick my new road bike!
Quote | Reply
Rolling up at the races this Sunday, I notice that my '09 Cervelo SLC-SL black and white frame (in my mind still the best looking bike Cervelo has made) has a huge crack on the down tube. Unclear whether this is from hitting a pot hole racing the previous weekend, or whether it's impact damage from a small rock from either the front wheel or a passing car. Irregardless, it's not safe to ride for anything but the trainer...

So, I find myself in the market for a new frame. What should I get?

- I fancy myself a bit of a climber, but I don't really believe in the notion of a "climbing" frame, i.e. an R3, being faster than an S3. The physicist in me just can't rationalize it. So I don't want a hog, but I'm unlikely to go weight-weenie.
- I don't want to spend a fortune, I really think that >$1500 feels like taking the piss for a road frame
- I would not mind getting something used at all, but don't have time to spend 3m trawling ebay or the classifieds

I've been casting my glance in the direction of the Fuji Transonic. Seems like it can be had for just north of $1500, it's not too heavy, pretty aero depending on what sources you believe, and I quite like the looks.

All right, 'twitchers, hit me with all your advice. What frame will lead me to more cat 3 glory?

--
When I channel my hate to productive, I don't find it hard to impress
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new road bike! [JFromTheBlock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally recommend the Supersix evo, parlee Z5, specialized tarmac or venge, and scott foil. I ride a supersix evo hi-mod now and love it. Great climbing bike moderately aero, and has a great ride.

I recommend hitting up brian on here- mybikeshop.com as he has a ton of road bikes right now that are well priced.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second the Cannondale Super Six - it's a brilliant all round race bike. Also look at the Colnago CX Zero. These are probably the two best all round road racing frames in your price range. If you *must* have an aero frame the new S3 is great as well. The Giant Propel is also getting good raps but it can be a pig in crosswinds.

Aero matters a lot less in mass start races than tri/TT, so don't be scared to branch out and try something new. You'll be surprised.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 for 3. I ride a super six evo (red) and really enjoy it. Great overall bike. Climbs well, stiff enough to respond to what I consider an effort, and some out there consider a warmup. Iwent back and forth on the evo and a Scott foil. Both are great options, I just got a killer deal on the evo. Also, if you want to look at alum bikes, the Caad (cannondale) is another option.

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own one of the only 2016 SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod bikes available right now. I got it early July after the Cannondale launch event in Ogden, Utah and you should wait until that bike is available for retail sale in October. It is unreal. I've never experienced something so responsive, stiff and compliant all in the same ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new road bike! [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy515 wrote:
I personally recommend the Supersix evo, parlee Z5, specialized tarmac or venge, and scott foil. I ride a supersix evo hi-mod now and love it. Great climbing bike moderately aero, and has a great ride.

I recommend hitting up brian on here- mybikeshop.com as he has a ton of road bikes right now that are well priced.

Those are nice bikes, but are well above the OP's budget of around $1,500. Even used, many of those will be hard to get for $1,500.

I think the Fuji is a good bike for the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey... what size are you looking for in a frame?

might have some options here... http://www.mybikeshop.com

thanks!

brian

more bikes and gear available at:

http://www.mybikeshop.com
sales@mybikeshop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new road bike! [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's a lot of praise for cannondale! Especially since I youthful the gospel here was that weight, compliance and stiffness were all entirely made up qualities, certainly with little to no bearing on performance :-)

the hi-mod seems to be a bit more than I was hoping to spend though...

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you're after an aero road frame, the Blue AR1 can be had for pretty cheap and is quite a good bike. posted some decent aero numbers according to John Cobb.

The NeilPryde Alize did decently in the tunnel and isnt too expensive, either.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new road bike! [mybikeshop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm looking for something around a 51-52cm. I had a look at your site and I couldn't find any frames for sale?

Thanks!

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey... thanks for looking. I'd be happy to part out the new 2014 Blue AC1 EX bike for you. It's a 52.5cm. Too big? It's unused and with full warranty too.

Just an option... thanks.

brian

more bikes and gear available at:

http://www.mybikeshop.com
sales@mybikeshop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be happy to sell you my Neil Pryde Alize in small with Ultegra Di2. PM me for info.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new road bike! [slowshortround] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I'm really just looking for a frame at this point. The Neilpryde looks like an interesting alternative though.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to chat about just the frame also.

Let me know - just send me PM and we can take it offline!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out VeloVie's site. All of their frames are on sale for $500 now.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new road bike! [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim, I am looking at the same bike. Care so post some pictures? Did you get the Team Color Version?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new road bike! [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll get you some pictures. The new Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod is fantastic. I can't say enough good about it. One thing to be aware of...many SuperSix owners have had issues with the BB PressFit bearings making clicking noises. I was no exception. It drove me nuts but a highly reputable Cannondale shop that sold me the bike installed a permanent BB30 sleeve. It has been quiet now for about a month of riding, no issues - knock on wood. That issue wouldn't deter me in the least from getting another one...I'm going to get one for my wife in October when they're generally available.

The bike accelerates, descends and climbs like a champ.

This is a stock photo of what I got. I have it setup with the ENVE seat post, Zipp 303 FC Clinchers w/PowerTap G3, Cobb SHC saddle, FSA carbon compact bars and SpeedPlay Cannondale green Zeros.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you go to 4k? The lower level Giant Propel with 55mm wheels and 11speed Ultegra di2 is pretty attractive. You may even save a bit since it's end of season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more +1 to the supersix... i freaking love mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doesn't really matter, i think an aero bike is more better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A) reading comprehension is really low here; OP says 1500 and people are posting Hi-Mods as their recommendations.

Pro tip: Nobody cares what you ride or what you like. Post to help others, not stroke your ego.

B) OP: you'd be bet off buying a used frame and the components separately. You can get an Ultegra set, complete, for about 6-700 bucks, total. That leaves ~1k for the frame. I see like-new Venges and Tarmacs going for that or less.

I personally ride a Tarmac SL Pro and love it to death. Got it used for a steal. So go that route.

If you aren't a member, join the "Online Swap Meet" group on Facebook. You'd have a complete bike shipped to your door by this weekend if you check hourly.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new road bike! [FlacVest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flac is right... What's with all the crazy talk?

Pick a few frames you'd likely consider, then post a WTB in the classifieds requesting a PM. Then check back in a few days and see what you have offered...

Or troll Craigslist, pinkbike, the classifieds etc... There's good used stuff everywhere.
Quote Reply