Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifreemc wrote:
masa757 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOsh3hnqnUQ

did anybody notice this yesterday on stage 6? If you look carefully you'll see this MTN rider come down that hill SOOOO fast then he slams his brakes too hard, skids, wobbles then bam right into the side of the support car. I hope it wasn't because of a mechanical like his rear wheel coming loose.

Ran across this view of it a few minutes ago. This also caused another crash shortly afterward, guys were overcooking this corner big time! He definitely would have ended up in the woods which probably would have ended worse.

WOW! That is hard to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's horrific. And, I don't know how he explains it, because he wasn't even close.

You can see on the FB video taken at the corner that there was a gradual turn in the opposite direction just prior. That means he couldn't see the hairpin. Commentary claimed this was a 60mph descent.

Of course there would have been warning signs and a speed limit posted, but if he is tucked and bombing down a hill at 60mph it's easy to miss that. So he doesn't realize the hairpin is coming until WTF!? and it's too late to slow down.

One thing that bothers me is how much the drivers have their heads up their asses. If a car is going to stop, then they should park themselves directly behind the fallen rider to keep other riders and drivers from running over him. And the two motorcycle riders goof around directly in the *open* corrider which causes the 2nd pair of riders to go down.

Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah its hard to watch.. Really makes you wonder what was he thinking...

They should take notes from this guy, especially right around 1:23 in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvy4s4Jn2LY
Last edited by: masa757: Aug 10, 15 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple things...there were no warning signs about the turn. The amateurs (me and 500 others) rode Stage 6 ahead of the pros that morning. I've ridden that decent many times and its a very dangerous turn. Some dude in front of our group overcooked the turn ever so slightly and ended up in the gravel - he had skills and pulled it out...I don't know how. The pavement is in excellent shape. They resurfaced it about two months ago. There is no oil, there was no gravel, water, rocks or other obstructions. I think he just came in real hot, hit the brakes, skidded and that was it. The two motorbike guys should be publicly humiliated and then flogged for stopping in the way and causing two more crashes - total idiots.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant normal highway signs. Like a hairpin symbol and 25mph. Surely there was one of those?

Ahhh... would be so nice to experience a good road surface again. Everything is chipseal around here now.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where is that turn? I'm assuming coming down guardsman or in Big cottonwood?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [dirtydan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's descending Guardsman Pass road on the Big Cottonwood side. There's a stretch of road near the top that is long and steep. It sweeps right and then that hairpin just appears. It's the first of two hairpins on that descent. This accident was clearly a case of lack of course awareness and how that hairpin develops quickly. As another poster indicated, bales of hay would be a good idea for this and several other turns along this route.
Quote Reply

Prev Next