Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1x11 for road bike? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 'normal' road bike has 50/34 chainrings and an 11-32 cassette. If I could stay off the dirt/gravel roads, I'd probably run an 11-28 on that particular bike. The 10-42 cassette definitely stands out when compared to conventionally sized cogs.

Mark Chandler, Editor In Chief
GRAVELBIKE.com | ride everything
Last edited by: GRAVELBIKE: Aug 3, 15 13:39
Quote Reply
Re: 1x11 for road bike? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Just came back from the Alps with a mate who was using a SRAM CX1 gruppo with a 38t and 11-32 in the back. He gave up after a day and a half.

Single ring is fine for TT's, but there's no real aero advantage unless you get rid of the mech hanger as it creates almost as much drag as the mech itself.

I am considering converting my 2012 Cervelo P3 to 1x11 and would like to get rid of the front mech hanger. Does anyone know how to remove the mech hanger without damaging the frame and could it be reversed if it didn't work out?
Quote Reply
Re: 1x11 for road bike? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, I cant imagine it being as efficient for the road bike. Gravel, cross, TT....yes.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x11 for road bike? [Tapeworm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is it a difficult conversion? I can't remember the last time I used the small ring (and that is riding a 53 up front and 11-23 cassette) so was thinking of going to 1x. As I recently crashed and am having to fix some bits of my bike including the extensions this is a chance to make the change.

Do I just remove the front derailer, change the crank, and remove the shifter and cable?
Quote Reply
Re: 1x11 for road bike? [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, removed the FD, had to break the chain, swap chainring - boom.

That being said I didn't do a great job on the chain breaking...

Did end up taking it to the ship to rewire and reprogram the Di2, and fix up my chain.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x11 for road bike? [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 1x11 for road bike? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a similar question: does anyone know if a Rotor Q-Ring can be used on the 2016 Specialized Allez 1x setup? I currently run 52/36 Aero Q-Rings on my S3 and R3. The Allez would be for circuit races and crits. Or would I be better of converting my S3 Di2 to a 1x setup, saving $$$$ ? -Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: 1x11 for road bike? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Been doing it all year. Started with 48-11/28. Just switched to 50-11/32. For you, 50-11/36 or 48-11/32 should be plenty. I love it. Can't imagine going back. It's just more enjoyable, not having to think about shifting the front. Simplicity = happiness. For me anyway.

how do you take uphills?

==================
Ditch the carbage - Go keto!
Quote Reply
Re: 1x11 for road bike? [dindu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dindu wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Been doing it all year. Started with 48-11/28. Just switched to 50-11/32. For you, 50-11/36 or 48-11/32 should be plenty. I love it. Can't imagine going back. It's just more enjoyable, not having to think about shifting the front. Simplicity = happiness. For me anyway.

how do you take uphills?

shaken, not stirred.

seated mostly. but I stand if/when I need to. which isn't very often.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: 1x11 for road bike? [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan Rapp won Mt Tremblant on 1x11.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x11 for road bike? [ifp123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, you can use the QCX1 for now :

http://www.bike24.com/p2106569.html

But this is for CX at the start so there's only till 44teeth

However Rotor is planning to release road version with bigger chainring, you can see them here, after the "Uno" group presentation :
http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/08/26/eb15-rotor-uno-hydraulic-road-group-first-look-tech-details/
Quote Reply

Prev Next