Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Problem, need help!
Quote | Reply
I'm having an issue with very painful side stitches. I've done a search already and read the threads, but mine is happening during the same, very specific conditions - (i) after an extended stay in aero position on my tri bike and (ii) in temps over 90 degrees. Typically occurs within minutes of starting the run. Only happened to me a few times, but it's torpedoed three different races (two 70.3 and one IM) where I had to walk extensively on the run as a result. Never had it happen in more modest temperatures for races or long training days. I've only recreated it in training twice (today included), and both times I rode 100+ miles on my tri bike and ran afterward when temps where in the 90s. I think my hydration is good but maybe not. For nutrition I've relied on double servings of Infinit per bottle (roughly 200 calories per hour) and Cliff Shot Blocks once an hour, so roughly 300 calories an hour.

Anyone have this specific issue? Any thoughts on a cause? I'm training for IM Choo and feeling real good about my fitness. However, if it's an especially warm day come race time and I don't change something, I'm certain all the fitness will be for nothing when I'm walking the run course because of a recurrence of this problem. If it helps any, I'm a slightly bigger athlete - 6'1", 185 lbs, so I know I'm at a disadvantage in the heat anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem, need help! [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd guess it is your breathing. Too fast and maybe irregular? Try breathing in through nose and out through mouth, you may have to slow a bit, maybe it will relax your muscles. Just a thought. I've only had them running when I was younger because I had not gotten a hang of steady rhythmic breathing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think they have scientifically proven side stitches cause but I believe it's related to diaphragm, breathing and possibly core. I don't get them any longer running but when I did I tried to make sure I wasn't breathing shallow and I'd alternate which leg I was inhaling/exhaling from

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe your bike position is crunched up?
I try focus on breathing and doing a couple of side stretches after getting off the bike.

And make sure there is no medical condition, especially if they only occur on the right side.

Patrick E wrote:
I'm having an issue with very painful side stitches. I've done a search already and read the threads, but mine is happening during the same, very specific conditions - (i) after an extended stay in aero position on my tri bike and (ii) in temps over 90 degrees. Typically occurs within minutes of starting the run. Only happened to me a few times, but it's torpedoed three different races (two 70.3 and one IM) where I had to walk extensively on the run as a result. Never had it happen in more modest temperatures for races or long training days. I've only recreated it in training twice (today included), and both times I rode 100+ miles on my tri bike and ran afterward when temps where in the 90s. I think my hydration is good but maybe not. For nutrition I've relied on double servings of Infinit per bottle (roughly 200 calories per hour) and Cliff Shot Blocks once an hour, so roughly 300 calories an hour.

Anyone have this specific issue? Any thoughts on a cause? I'm training for IM Choo and feeling real good about my fitness. However, if it's an especially warm day come race time and I don't change something, I'm certain all the fitness will be for nothing when I'm walking the run course because of a recurrence of this problem. If it helps any, I'm a slightly bigger athlete - 6'1", 185 lbs, so I know I'm at a disadvantage in the heat anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you be over fuelling? I wonder if during the hot temps your body is shuttling extra blood out for cooling, leaving less for digestion. I used to get a side stitch during marathons. Although I didn't "think" I was over fuelling, it wasn't until I starting taking in less that I solved it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try slow complete inhales (belly out when inhaling). Exhales can be quick and not controlled. Once you get this going you can increase your pace. Core work can help also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Purely anecdotal:
Try 3:2 breathing: RLR: inhale, LR: exhale, LRL: inhale, RL: exhale
(try it on the bike AND the run)

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See all of the above with respect to breathing, it's your diaphragm. Focusing on belly breathing once you get off the bike and onto run can help with this too in order to get complete breaths. If you feel it coming on, remember the tips above and work through it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are horrible as you can feel great otherwise but completely limited by the stitch. I agree with what people said about deep, relaxed belly breathing but I start while still on the bike for the last few minutes, continue it through transition and at the beginning of the run. I also added some cobra position yoga stretches prior to racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem, need help! [Andy007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This happened to me this weekend at Muskoka , chronic stitch off the bike , could not take on fluids or fuel for an hour and put myself in a huge hole

I think it's nutrition for me , cannot tolerate gels and gatorade long course, fluids it seems I can do if it's hot enough

Happened to me at placid in 2013 also
Quote Reply