Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crank Clunk
Quote | Reply
I know you guys probably hate these questions, but i have a race tmw so here it goes…

I got a new P2 ~100 miles on it, no issues. I got on it for a quick spin tonight, and I got a clunk/knock… the carbon makes it sound awful

Only clunks when pedaling with left foot, no clunk when only using right foot.
Clunks when left foot is at 6 o'clock position
Will not clunk when bike is in the maintenance stand, only when riding
Swapped pedals, still clunks
pedaled without cleats, still clunks

Ive been dicking with it for a couple hours now, I'm pissed and defeated. Anything obvious i'm over looking? Or m i screwed and going to have to wait till monday for the LBS? Unfortunately I purchased it at a store that is 2 hours away.
Quote Reply
Re: Crank Clunk [Dillon152] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rear derailleur? QR skewer?

(Hopefully not the bottom bracket...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd remove the crankset and bottom bracket (if you can), put everything back on, and see if it still clunks.
Quote Reply
Re: Crank Clunk [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have access to the tools to remove the bracket, unfortunately
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dillon152 wrote:
I don't have access to the tools to remove the bracket, unfortunately

Maybe you can get to the race site super early tomorrow, and have the on-site bike tech look at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what type of bottom bracket is it? Maybe if you put the bike in a trainer under load and have someone pedal it then you can crawl down next to it and listen, if you use a length of hardwood placed against the BB shell it will transmit the sound so you can isolate it. It could be where the bottom bracket screws or is pressed into the bike, the interface between the axle and the bearing or the crank arm is loose.

you sure it's not the drive side crank arm striking something at 12 o clock?
Last edited by: jroden: Aug 1, 15 18:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes pedals will make a clunking sound if their thread was not greased before being attached...
Good luck mate
Quote Reply
Re: Crank Clunk [Mr.Bump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bottom bracket is the culprit, if anyone wanted to know. On a brand spanking new bike. Bummer. Now I have to send in a warranty claim and wait for a new bracket to come in. The mechanic said I still can ride it, if I can stand the annoying knock every pedal revolution.
Quote Reply