Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stages power drops/Garmin 500
Quote | Reply
No shortage of threads on this topic, but wanted to get some thoughts. I had a Stages PM last year and it worked fine, outdoors. It read about 30 watts low inside, which I never figured out. Sold it this spring as I wanted to try a longer crank. I bought another Stages and had power drops that made the data unusable. They eventually took it back. When the Stages went on sale recently (Rival) I could not resist buying another one (simple solution across many bikes) as I thought it was worth a chance. While this one is much better, I still get a LOT of dropouts. I am a TT guy and a recent ride and I had 30 complete drops in a 47 min. TT. And yes, it is much improved over the one they took back. I am using it with a Garmin Edge 500 and a Garmin HR strap. I would like to rule out the Garmin, as I did not have any drops last year with a different Stages, and I have no data drops with a PowerTap G3 hub that is used for training. Stages has been communicative, but not real helpful. "Send us pictures." Most of the threads here seem to indicate problems of this nature have been more common with Garmin Wrist units, and I wondered if anyone had similar problems with a 500. If a 510 might help, I might consider it. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power drops/Garmin 500 [flocrest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an experiment I would try mounting the Garmin close to the crank, i.e. somewhere on your downtube. This would rule out a weak transmitter on the stages unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a stages Rival as well because the deal was too good to pass up. I am running a Garmin 910XT and was having serious drop issues on my first ride as well. Started doing some digging and came across a helpful link on Stages website (link listed below). Apparently it is a Garmin related issue, especially with the older head units (i.e. 500 and 910XT) and how their ANT+ functions according to Stages. Anyway, I starting messing around with my head unit placement and got it mounted closer to the stem and that seemed to solve the issue at least during a brief test during lunch. Hope this helps. Here's the link to the Stages website that helps you trouble shoot the issue.

http://support.stagescycling.com/...n-edge-500-head-unit
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power drops/Garmin 500 [Kenobi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks much for the response. I did read that post at the Stages website. I was hoping not to have to buy another Garmin. I had a Stages before with the same Garmin in the same position and it worked fine. Also, the Garmin works fine with a Powertap. The unit is being tested by Stages right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenobi wrote:
I just got a stages Rival as well because the deal was too good to pass up. I am running a Garmin 910XT and was having serious drop issues on my first ride as well. Started doing some digging and came across a helpful link on Stages website (link listed below). Apparently it is a Garmin related issue, especially with the older head units (i.e. 500 and 910XT) and how their ANT+ functions according to Stages. Anyway, I starting messing around with my head unit placement and got it mounted closer to the stem and that seemed to solve the issue at least during a brief test during lunch. Hope this helps. Here's the link to the Stages website that helps you trouble shoot the issue.

http://support.stagescycling.com/...n-edge-500-head-unit

But that's not a problem with the Garmin. It's still a problem with the Stages.

SRM doesn't have these problems. Neither does Powertap and its farther away from the head unit
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power drops/Garmin 500 [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If SRM and Powertap don't have these issues with Stages and Garmin does have the issue then doesn't it stand to reason that the Stages isn't the issue and that Garmin is the issue?

Stages + Powertap = No Problems
Stages + SRM = No Problems
Stages + Garmin = Issues

Just trying to follow the logic that its a Stages issue and not a Garmin issue...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenobi wrote:
If SRM and Powertap don't have these issues with Stages and Garmin does have the issue then doesn't it stand to reason that the Stages isn't the issue and that Garmin is the issue?

Stages + Garmin = Issues

Just trying to follow the logic that its a Stages issue and not a Garmin issue...

I think the correct equations are:

Garmin + Powertap = No Problems
Garmin + SRM = No Problem
Garmin + Stages = Issues

Now do you see the point?

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power drops/Garmin 500 [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha - I was thinking of just the different head units and not the actual power meter itself, hence my confusion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenobi wrote:

Stages + Garmin = Issues

Wow. Just wow.

So, you do know what Stages, SRM, and Powertap are powermeters. Garmin is the head unit receiving data from the powermeter.

There is no such thing as Stages + Powertap or Stages + SRM. You chart should read:
Powertap + Garmin = No Problems
SRM + Garmin= No Problems
Stages + Garmin = Issues
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power drops/Garmin 500 [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes - well aware of it. You can run different head units though as they all pretty much are ANT+ or bluetooth compatible...WOW, WOW, WOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenobi wrote:
yes - well aware of it. You can run different head units though as they all pretty much are ANT+ or bluetooth compatible...WOW, WOW, WOW

I'll let your comment stand as clear evidence you are not well aware of "it".
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power drops/Garmin 500 [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will let you look at the ANT+ directory of compatible devices for use with power meters. You clearly have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to head unit compatibility.

http://www.thisisant.com/directory
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenobi wrote:
I will let you look at the ANT+ directory of compatible devices for use with power meters. You clearly have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to head unit compatibility.

No, you clearly have no clue on how to make your point.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power drops/Garmin 500 [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know that Slowtwitch forums have a MENSA section. I don't recall seeing that when I signed up. Geniuses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenobi wrote:

Fairly sure the SRM PC7 unit head unit won't pickup a Powertap or Stages powermeter. Just because a head unit supports ANT+ doesn't mean it will receive all ANT+ signals. The PC7 will pickup ANT+ speed/cad/hr but only SRMs unique powermeter signal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going through this too. The Stages worked OK with my 910 but that died so I got a 920 and have lots of problems. Like you (or someone) said, problems were made worse by placement of the 920 on my wrist. I actually found it'll work as long as my watch strap is very loose, BUT that changed after the Stages needed a new battery. Seems with the new battery the connection has become loose and the 920 can only find the Stages if I'm pressing on the Stages battery door. I ended up putting a piece of my Stinger bar wrapper in to try to tighten the fit of the battery against the contact. I'm looking to get a 510 or 520 to keep a head unit in a better position but worry what new problems I'll then have. Nothing about my Stages or 920 experiences have been simple thus far.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Fenix 2 and a stages PM and have only had the Fenix loose the PM once in 9 months. Of course it happened at the least convenient time (midway through an IM bike leg), but it was likely caused by me leaving my bike to use a porta-potty. Started a new activity and it found the PM again.

For the poster who had problems with the battery door - stages will send you new doors and gaskets for free if you contact them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a Rival Stages for about 17 months now.

Stages + Sony Xperia (Phone with ANT+): No dropouts that I became aware of
Stages + Polar V800 (Bluetooth smart): Dropouts mostly at races!

I can't figure out why the dropouts happen mostly at races. Could be the sports profile (Triathlon versus just Cycling), interference from other sensors, longer uninterrupted phases of aeroposition,... oh or of course the obvious answer: MegaWatt overload!
I'm always wearing the watch on the inside wrist while on the bike.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Aug 6, 15 2:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't happen to have a cell phone on you while you are riding do you? Which has bluetooth turned on? My stages was always a POS in terms of dropping connection to my 910, but I started noticing real issues on long road rides. Went out and bought a quarq elsa rs as I was very concerned about this for IM pacing. First ride in my basement the quarq was dropping connection to my 500 every 30 seconds. I paused netflix and turned bluetooth off on my cell phone and no drops. Point being there can be factors outside of the PM and headunit which can cause drops, but that may not be the case here. There is another thread floating around ST about interference caused by things such as wifi routers, cell phones, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power drops/Garmin 500 [jph437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the ideas. For me anyway, no other factors are involved. No phone or even other riders. The only other sensor is a Garmin HR strap. Stages has it now and I am hoping to hear something soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought I would post this in case anyone was interested in how/if this resolved. Stages could not find anything wrong with the unit. They stated they are gluing a new power pod to the crank arm that I purchased and sending it back to me. They really don't have an answer to why I would experience data drops which they could not duplicate in their testing. I am very hesitant to even mount the new unit as I really don't have any reason to believe it will perform any differently than the two units that I had previously. I also am hesitant to sell it, although I suppose there would be nothing wrong with doing that if I included all needed disclaimers. It really is a shame. I am perfectly happy with the limitations of left only power, it is just that two units in a row did not consistently send information to the bike computer, which renders it pretty useless for any kind of evaluation tool. Thanks for the replies.
Quote Reply