Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Genius? Or Demented?
Quote | Reply
http://www.run26x1.com/about.html

(I have no affiliation with this race...just looking for a winter marathon, and stumbled upon this...)

JUST ONE MORE LAP!

What is the Hammond 26x1 Marathon and why should you be interested? It all started with a desire to do a race in Hammond that was not a typical 5k race. Hammond is a small town and a logistical nightmare for anything longer than a 5k or 10k race. A 1/2 marathon or full marathon is completely out of the question...Or is it??? Enter the Hammond 26x1 Marathon. It's YOUR race at YOUR pace. That's right, 26 laps around a 1 mile course at North Oaks Park. You can run 1 mile, 5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon, or full marathon at your pace without worrying about aid stations or traffic. On February 7th, 2015, we are going to make history: Hammond's First Marathon. This event is all about pushing yourself further than you have gone before. HOW MANY LAPS CAN YOU HANDLE?

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Re: Genius? Or Demented? [TheJeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Cranberry Island ultra in Maine is 50 one-mile laps, I think.
I ran a 1/2 on a track this year and the race offered a full distance (it was at the Utah Olympic oval). I wouldn't want to do a full - I like having that distance stretched out in front of me - but the 1/2 went by surprisingly fast, and the camaraderie you build with other runners over those many laps is pretty cool.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last chance for Boston marathon in Dublin, OH is the same deal around the same time of year. One mile flat loop. I can't imagine a worse race. I'd rather do it IronCowboy style on a treadmill in front of a TV.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sri Chinmoy-esque
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend is doing the Run for the Ages in Tennessee, which has distances up to 200 miles on a one-mile loop. She's doing the 100 miler. Yeesh.

https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=31290
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A guy in Seattle ran a 400m track... barefoot.... for 24 hours. I forget how many multiple marathons that was.

Another guy in Seattle rode 100 miles on a bike by circling on a trail in a small park.

Yeah..... no. Do not want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do they plan to handle the 0.1 and 0.2mi. issues with the race distances?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a local 1 mile trail that I will run up to 15 miles, but I couldn't imagine running a full marathon on it.

Many years ago I did a 13 mile run on a high school track as "preparation" for my first half. Never, ever will I do that again.

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Quote Reply
Re: Genius? Or Demented? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
A guy in Seattle ran a 400m track... barefoot.... for 24 hours. I forget how many multiple marathons that was.

Another guy in Seattle rode 100 miles on a bike by circling on a trail in a small park.

I once did 100K of laps around a 1K bicycle loop. Then again, it was in the course of racing 3 criteriums that day ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Genius? Or Demented? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
How do they plan to handle the 0.1 and 0.2mi. issues with the race distances?

There's a marathon in my area that does the same thing (circularlogicmarathon.com). It's 26 laps around the city park, and the first lap has an extra .2 mile dogleg. But yeah, if you want to do a half marathon, you're out of luck there.
Quote Reply
Re: Genius? Or Demented? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

1.5/10 for Seattle. the 1 is a sympathy point.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen trail running and mountain bike races that have a similar concept, but usually the loops are a few miles long. It makes the logistics easier. Typically, they are races to see how much you can ride or run in 12 hours or another time period. They are easy to do as teams were people can switch off, or on the long races, people can stop and rest or even get things out of their cars after their loops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This reminds me of two buddies who were training for their first ultra... it was freezing rain outside... so they did a marathon... as a training run... on... a... treadmill. #rathergetkickedinthenuts

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the last chance for Boston marathon in Columbus which is exactly that, 26x1 mile loops. I didn't think it would be too bad since I do a fair amount of running on a 1km track. I was wrong! Imagine walkers, walking the course maybe 5 wide, and you get to weave in and around them on every single lap. If it weren't for the slow lap traffic that wouldn't stay out of the way, I could have handled the boredom of the same loop. But I'd never do it again.
Quote Reply