Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubies - zipp vs bonty aeolus...
Quote | Reply
Splitting hairs I know...
But if you had a choice for triathlon, 808s or D9's?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubies - zipp vs bonty aeolus... [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp 808s

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tubies - zipp vs bonty aeolus... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any specific reason?
Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp impressed me with their science and technology. When I started learning more about how carbon clinchers were made, Zipps strengths became very apparent. Their engineering staff and pursuit of excellence in everything they do means alot. I'm sure someone will troll this post, but engineering companies that value research and development appeal to me

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 1, 15 11:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I chose the Aeolus 7/9 for a few reasons.
1 much better price and i bought used so that was even better.
2 using 7 up front is more stable in all conditions, I have never had problems handling them at speed descending or in the wind.
3 all of the modern aero shapes perform very similarly so choosing Hed, Bonty, Zipp, Flo etc are on par with eachother, the only way to know any differently would be to test the aerodynamics of each on the frame of your choice to really determine which is fastest.

In retrospect I probably should have gone with clinchers but I got the Bontys for such a great price, it would have been nuts to choose anything else. Had I gone with clinchers I would have chosen either Hed or Flo.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with Zipp because they've optimized their tires and their rims together. The tire is a very important piece of the aerodynamic puzzle fyi. Bontrager did this too but, IMO, the R4 Aero just isn't up to snuff: fragile and not fast enough to justify being fragile. Also, the Zipp has a better braking surface and better brake pads. Bontrager recently did something to the brake track of their rims (some sort of a texture) but the only "approved" pads are cork and those are really sub-par.

In terms of "strength" both are very strong but I will say that I saw something on the destructive testing of Bontrager's OCLV rims that was remarkable. I can't find it now but, long story short, they broke multiple spokes and even the test apparatus long before breaking the OCLV rim. Competing carbon rims failed within the first hour as did aluminum rims but the OCLV rim took a day or so before it failed. It was really pretty remarkable.

Source: former owner of a pair of Aeolus 7 D3s and a 303/808FC set. Now I'm on HED Jet 6/Disc and don't see myself changing: nothing brakes as well as aluminum.

Edit: I just noticed you're looking at tubulars. Again, I'd still stick with Zipp.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Aug 1, 15 13:05
Quote Reply
Re: Tubies - zipp vs bonty aeolus... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I would go with Zipp because they've optimized their tires and their rims together. The tire is a very important piece of the aerodynamic puzzle fyi. Bontrager did this too but, IMO, the R4 Aero just isn't up to snuff: fragile and not fast enough to justify being fragile. Also, the Zipp has a better braking surface and better brake pads. Bontrager recently did something to the brake track of their rims (some sort of a texture) but the only "approved" pads are cork and those are really sub-par.

In terms of "strength" both are very strong but I will say that I saw something on the destructive testing of Bontrager's OCLV rims that was remarkable. I can't find it now but, long story short, they broke multiple spokes and even the test apparatus long before breaking the OCLV rim. Competing carbon rims failed within the first hour as did aluminum rims but the OCLV rim took a day or so before it failed. It was really pretty remarkable.

Source: former owner of a pair of Aeolus 7 D3s and a 303/808FC set. Now I'm on HED Jet 6/Disc and don't see myself changing: nothing brakes as well as aluminum.

Edit: I just noticed you're looking at tubulars. Again, I'd still stick with Zipp.

First, approved pads now include Swissstop black pads for carbon. These worked really well for me in Lake Placid.

Second Jet 6 and a disc is very hard to beat.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Tubies - zipp vs bonty aeolus... [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:

First, approved pads now include Swissstop black pads for carbon. These worked really well for me in Lake Placid.

Second Jet 6 and a disc is very hard to beat.

Ohhhh.... that probably helps quite a bit then with braking.
Quote Reply