Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ruffini takes 25K OWS at World Champs...
Quote | Reply
Simone Ruffini of Italy won the 25K OWS at the WCs today in 4:53:10.7, 4.4 sec ahead of Alex Meyer of the U.S. Ruffini averaged 1:10.4 per 100 m across the 25,000 m and 1:06.0 per 100 m over the last 2500 m, or 27:29 for the last 2500 m and 16:29 for the last 1500 m.

In the women's 25K race, Ana Marcela Cunha of Brazil won in 5:13:47.3 (1:15.3 per 100m) with last 2500 m in 30:44.3 (1:13.8 per 100m). Emily Brunemann and Ashley Twichell of the U.S. finished 8th and 9th in 5:19:51.2 and 5:20:20.8, respectively.

For the 9 or 10 who might be interested, full results are at:

http://www.omegatiming.com/...ort=AQ&year=2015

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ruffini takes 25K OWS at World Champs... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really difficult for me to fathom those times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I barely run that fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. I am blown away by those times. Hard to comprehend that pace for that long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did they do it in a wetsuit? ... honest question.

Is it the norm for race of this distance to bet wetsuit legal or is it the norm for folks to do it without a wetsuit?

Quote | Reply
Did they do it in a wetsuit? ... honest question. //

Lets just say if you asked one of them this question, they would say, "what is a wetsuit?"
Quote Reply
Re: Ruffini takes 25K OWS at World Champs... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i believe they (men OWSers) can wear suits that cover their chest though, correct? (of course this is a far cry from a full-on wetsuit)
Quote Reply
Re: Ruffini takes 25K OWS at World Champs... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lets just say if you asked one of them this question, they would say, "what is a wetsuit?"

Right, my OW swim friends thought it was pretty funny when triathlon was debating wetsuit temp limits and settled on 78 F as the cutoff.

Quote Reply
Re: Ruffini takes 25K OWS at World Champs... [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
Did they do it in a wetsuit? ... honest question.
Is it the norm for race of this distance to bet wetsuit legal or is it the norm for folks to do it without a wetsuit?

Nah, no wetties in OWS competition but, as others have said, they are allowed to wear swim skins that cover their legs and torso, kind of like a sleeveless wetsuit but made out of nylon/polyester/lycra, etc. IIRC, the FINA temp standards are 16 to 31 degrees C, or 60.8 to 87.8 degrees F. I've never swum in one of those swim skins so not sure how much they help, but prob much less than a tri wettie.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply