Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Preparing for the IM distance
Quote | Reply
Hi - I have made the decision to participate in an Ironman even in the summer of 2016. I'm wondering what advice people may have to build a strong tri base for that distance in the next year so that the following year can be used to improve strength and speed over the IM distance. I have a long background in cycling racing and shorter running events.
I am taking a longer approach so that my body builds strength over the long haul and in part because I would like to slowly build an endurance base to avoid injury.
Thank you in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Preparing for the IM distance [wfamfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went from casual cyclist / non-swimmer / non-runner to Ironman finisher in just over a year. I used Friels books, mostly the Triathletes Training Bible.

If you have the time to commit to the volume required you'll be fine, but I'd recommend a book, or a coach. I find left to my own devices I just rack up garbage miles, so having Friel (in the book) walk me through constructing an annual training plan, and giving me actual structured work outs helped tremendously.

You have a pretty reasonable goal, too, which I think helps. My goal was to get through the race, run (not walk) the marathon, and finish feeling good (not arriving at the finish line swearing I'd never do another). Now that I've done the distance, I'm going to start working on getting faster.

Oh, and swim lessons. Find a company or coach of group that has a focus on triathlon and offers swim coaching. Of all the money I spent in the year before my Ironman, I think I got the best ROI from the swim coaching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations for making your decision! You asked a very broad question. There are hundreds of websites and books devoted to that very subject. (No one in Triathlon has an opinion and those that do never want to tell you what they think - sarcasm). But we really don't know enough about your current fitness level to respond. Are you a Newbie-Newbie? Do you race Sprints, Olympics, 1/2 IM distances now? What does your training look like now? How much time for training do you have each day? So, a little more detail helps. I also started with a decision, at 55 yrs old and 307 pounds. That was several years ago and now race 2 IM's each year (9 races this year from Oly's to IM). Also a USAT referee and volunteer at several races. So you can get real busy in this sport. Find a Race, Tri. club, or Tri. shop near you and hang out, ask participants about their equipment, tactics, training, nutrition. Ask a Tri'er about his P5 or Felt IA, heck, even his transition mat! (like I said, no one likes to talk about their kit - sarcasm again).

Good luck to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My two cents: get very comfortable being in the aero position for 5-6 hours. You wanna get off the bike after 112 without feeling blown up. IMHO I feel the bike is the key. So many ironman athletes say, "I had a great bike but a crappy run". This translates into, you over biked and cooked yourself so now you have nothing left for the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have a long background in cycling racing and shorter running events.

Then I'd start by learning how to swim. I'm serious - unless you swam competitively growing up, get some lessons from a coach; it's a very technique-oriented sport.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Preparing for the IM distance [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
forgive my asking but it is going to e my first IM, so I should not be completely off topic.
I'm struggling a little to decide what to eat ad drink during the race, and how much too

After some reading I would go with an all in one fooddrink (Complex carbohydrates ad simple, electrolyte, some amino,caffeine),I will carry 3 bottles, 2 for water and 1 for that food mix

I really appreciate your thoughts.
let me give some additional info, the course will be hilly, temperature around 75-85°, my sweat is low-medium, my weight 140 lb.

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Preparing for the IM distance [paolo.s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever you choose, try it in training first.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Preparing for the IM distance [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm going to echo the swim coaching. best ROI ever. for a few hundred bucks you'll learn a new skill for life. pre swim coaching i swam at 1:17 half iron swim. post swim coaching i swam a 1:20 ironman swim (while waiting 3 mins after the gun fired for the mass start and then standing around for a few mins after the first lap).

after that. invest in an indoor trainer and make sure you put in TONS of hours over the winter. the better your base is the better your bike will be and the better your bike the better your run will be.

things that i do that i feel are helpful (4x ironman finisher, 9x half iron, ultramarathon finisher etc).

i do 70% of my runs off the bike. in fact, i try to run every time i get off the bike. it doesn't have to be long, but i truly feel that 2-3 miles post bike workout counts at east 1.5x if you were to run it alone.

work on technique with the swim. drill drill drill (i wish i could take my own advice).

accept the fact that this sport takes years to learn and even longer to master. my friends are always asking me advice because i've done a few, but the truth is, i'm still on here once in a while reading, learning, asking.

good luck, have fun!
Quote Reply