Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hey, Asics DS Trainer and Racer Dudes
Quote | Reply
These were my go to kicks a couple years ago before injuries and surgeries derailed my impending win and marathon world record at Kona. I've since been able to run again, but throughout this recovery process I've been going with Hokas for the added cushioning and the perspective that they may be a good shoe for injured folks. I may be completely wrong about that, but hey, I am running again. I'm ready to go back to the Asics shoes now, but looking at the DS Trainers of today they look like a lot has changed. Those of you that have ran in these over the years, are you still and, if not, what did you move on to?

And before anyone suggests maybe it was the Asics that got me injured to begin with.....my left leg ran just as far in the shoes as my injured right leg and it's fine. At least that's the logic I'm choosing to stick with.....

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Hey, Asics DS Trainer and Racer Dudes [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
These were my go to kicks a couple years ago before injuries and surgeries derailed my impending win and marathon world record at Kona. I've since been able to run again, but throughout this recovery process I've been going with Hokas for the added cushioning and the perspective that they may be a good shoe for injured folks. I may be completely wrong about that, but hey, I am running again. I'm ready to go back to the Asics shoes now, but looking at the DS Trainers of today they look like a lot has changed. Those of you that have ran in these over the years, are you still and, if not, what did you move on to?
And before anyone suggests maybe it was the Asics that got me injured to begin with.....my left leg ran just as far in the shoes as my injured right leg and it's fine. At least that's the logic I'm choosing to stick with....Cheers,

I've been running in the DS Trainers for about 25 yrs now, since 1990, and i haven't noticed any big changes myself. I'm currently running in DS-18 which i bought 4 pairs of in Jan 2014, so it is prob not the latest model, but in any case i've never had any issues with any of the 18 editions so far, and i think i've had most of the 18, though i might have missed 1 or 2:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been an Asics guy forever and loved the DS-Trainer 17, skipped the 18 because of 'colorways,' and tried the 19's. The 19's felt different than the older models and I didn't like it, which led to my flirtation and eventual switch to Cliftons for longer distance. I still have DS-Racer 9's that I love, but that's probably because they're closer to 17's than 19's and I'm usually too far in oxygen debt to be thinking about how my shoe feels. As always, get shoes with a good return policy!

thechromedome wrote:

And before anyone suggests maybe it was the Asics that got me injured to begin with.....my left leg ran just as far in the shoes as my injured right leg and it's fine. At least that's the logic I'm choosing to stick with.....

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on my zillionth pair of DS Trainers/Racers. The Trainers have definitely changed a bit, but not in any ways that I've noticed after the first couple of runs. If Asics want to claim that this generation of Racers is light years ahead of last year's, I won't fight them about it, but honestly, I can't feel even a hint of a change. I go through shoes fairly fast, so I've run I a lot of ore models (usually over the winter), but for any run where I care about the pace, I've worn the DS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience - I ran in the DS Trainers roughly '05-'09. LOVED them. Then their little annual changes got to be too much. Changed the heel upper and lacing one year, got a bit boxier feeling and buillt up another, etc. Small changes to the eye, but felt significant on the foot. I switched to the DS Gel racer and have loved 'em. Have not run long in them, will probably go for something like Clifton or Bondis with more cush for regular pounding of 15mi+. I weigh under 150lbs and am pretty efficient. The Racers last 400 or so for me.

The Ride of Truth - OWN your ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey, Asics DS Trainer and Racer Dudes [Spinmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have the last 4 years of the racers and trainers.

the more i run, the better of a runner i become the more and more i want to just wear the racers. the new version (2015) drops another few grams from last years model (i can feel the difference in my hands). the same goes for the trainers and the noosa tri's.

i literally run 15-30 seconds faster in the 2015 racers. i can't imagine they will feel like this forever. i've broken them in with about 25 miles and expect them to last about 100 or so miles of racing?

i still have some older racers and trainers that are brand new (i'm a shoe whore) and when i wear them it feels like i'm wearing bricks compared to the new models.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running in the DS trainers and "GT 2000 series" for a long time and am going to return my current pair of GT 2000. I did not like the feel on the new DS Trainers either. It seems the toe box has gotten smaller. This spring I tried a "neutral" shoe for the first time, the Gel Nimbus. Frickin love it! It is a cushion shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, basically, those of you that are die hard Asics DS Racer or Trainer guys aren't moving to a different Asics shoe. They have made some changes, but you haven't found a different shoe in their line up that suited your needs that Trainers or Racers provided you in the past? I was just wondering if they evolved these models away from what our needs were, and perhaps developed another shoe line that did suit us. The way these shoe companies change their model lines constantly and add others is a bit confusing....

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, i also train in the noosa tri's (9, 10 etc up to 2015 model, which (15) is also sig lighter than last years model). the new noosa tri is the same weight as the old ds racers (or so it feels by hand/feel).

you should give the noosa tri a try. it's a beefier version of the ds racer but lighter than the ds trainer.

john
Quote Reply
Re: Hey, Asics DS Trainer and Racer Dudes [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm an Asics fan, & am wondering what is the difference to you folks who are DS Trainers/Racers, in comparison to their other models???

I wear anything they put on sale but notice the real cheap stuff is just that, "cheap stuff." So hence, my question to more regular/serious runners here

who are saying they run over 20miles a week, or maybe even over 10-15miles in one session (too). I like the Gel-exalt, myself, but have wondered

about those expensive Kanyo's/whatevers that are "pulling" $150 or thereabouts, from peoples "wallets."

Please "weigh in" with your specific faves, the why's and wherefores, etc. tks.
Quote Reply