Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, did this incident occur while on a morning ride in Malibu?
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, probably sounded a lot like the rest of what he said in the video :)
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HOKA's candidate....
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You almost ran me over with your car!"
"Cheerio"
"Cup of tea"
"Chip chip"
"Good day sir"
"Good day to you sir"
"I said good day"
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lady died from being doored in Kelowna this year.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The absolute saddest part of this video is it appears a younger bloke is in the passenger seat. I don't want to assume his son, but of that age.

Nice example set.

As for the language? Just another day in the UK

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you go on his channel you'll see this guy chases everybody that comes within 5 meters of him and threatens to turn the video over to the police.

check this one out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHAeGF6xp4o

To me it looks like the driver moved over to the right while staying in the lane but according the uphillfreewheeler he came too close to him.

I can see there are times when drivers do stupid things but he goes out with a vigalante mentallity and is looking for trouble even when there's nothing there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYWLZenqgHM

Here's a comment taken from the above video.

"I see what you mean. Rather than looking at me he was checking if there was room to park further up. I went back over my original footage and he passed me with plenty of space about 5 minutes previously. I had considered reporting him but have decided not to."
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [the_thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their argument kinda reminded me of a Month Python skit, accents and all.
Obviously, the cyclist is trying to film these kinds of incidents.
But, he only used words.
In these parts, the driver committed at least a few felonies and misdemeanors.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm still trying to divine wisdom from this episode. my only clear take-away is that the older i get the more helmets appeal to me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'm still trying to divine wisdom from this episode. my only clear take-away is that the older i get the more helmets appeal to me.

FTW!!!! ;-)

With the extra aero benefit of that helmet, he might have caught the cyclist.

Of course, there are those who will say that he likely would be injured worse, or not protected at all even with the helmet.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Slowman wrote:

FTW!!!! ;-)

With the extra aero benefit of that helmet, he might have caught the cyclist.

Of course, there are those who will say that he likely would be injured worse, or not protected at all even with the helmet.

if i could get up enough speed prior to take-off, with some lift out of my torso, and get my hands to act as ailerons...

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [WatsonNh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WatsonNh wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:
You have to admit this could be an epic "caption this" photo.

Almost looks like he's smiling. As if imagining a graceful dive into a pool of Twinkies,

What's the song from Peter Pan? "I'm flyyyyiiiinnnggg!!!"

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Slowman wrote:

He at least looks more athletic wearing a helmet. I had thought about trying to photo shop an aero helmet onto his head but
I lack the skills to do that.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to admit, the "F" bombs sound so much classier in a british accent...

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes you cant tell, due to the gopro lens object appear further away than in reality I see this all the time on my gopro
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not true, if you have ever looked at gopro footage as I have, viehcles appear much further away in gopro video
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Their argument kinda reminded me of a Month Python skit, accents and all.
Obviously, the cyclist is trying to film these kinds of incidents.
But, he only used words.
In these parts, the driver committed at least a few felonies and misdemeanors.

I can assure you no one in Monty Python had an accent like that man.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [rframe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rframe wrote:
That motorist is going to run over the next cyclist he sees. Don't be an antagonistic twit on the bike.

The problem is you can't just complete ignore a motorists like that. He got way too close to the cyclist when he passed him and based on his "explanation" it would seem that it was intentional. If he's not confronted, he will just keep buzzing cyclists because they are in his "way".
Last edited by: mcmetal: Aug 1, 15 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
dongustav wrote:
Thats bull. This cyclist clearly had this on his mind when he left the house. I commute to work on my bike often, and that car didn't look like it was speeding or driving very close at all, and seemed to just pass him and pay him no mind. Even IF the cyclist was riding down the middle of the road, the guy in the car didnt honk or yell anything at him. The cyclist caused this whole thing by chasing the car and starting the argument specifically so he could be famous for 5 minutes on Youtube.

I commute to work 7.5 miles each way every day, and I have front and rear cameras on the bike. Bike cameras are very wide angle so close calls don't seem that close on the footage if you don't know what you're looking at. Here's an example from my commute last night:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ef7htyl1x9xihi6/150730_too_close.mp4?dl=0

You can see from the footage that I'm centered in the bike lane. The left end of my handlebar is just inside the bike lane. The car clearly comes into the bike lane as it passes me (look at the tires). Hopefully that gives you a visual reference for how close it was. I can assure you it was less than 12 inches from my handlebar as it passed. I passed the driver at the light and looked at her and she had her hand over her mouth looking at me and appeared visibly shocked that she'd almost hit me (clearly by mistake). The car in the video posted above looks just as close to me. There's no line to verify but I'd bet it was pretty close. I'm sure the cyclist was shaken by it.

I also think it's crazy to think that the cyclist had this in mind when he left the house or knew the driver. (How crazy is it that you would even think that!!???) He was most likely just commuting to work like the rest of us do every day. Having someone cut that close is scary, and if it's obvious they did it on purpose and aggressively, it's enraging too. I know because it happens to me now and then on my commute (including last night obviously, though that one seemed clearly by mistake). The cyclist lost his cool but he did not get physical. The motorist threatened the cyclist first, by passing too close, and then got physical twice. I think it's pretty clear that the motorist is not mentally stable and also committed multiple crimes.

Exactly. That car was way closer than it seems in the video. I'd guess probably less than a foot of clearance. All it takes is for the cyclist to hit a slight bump or try to avoid an obstacle in the road and he is toast. Most places have a 3 foot passing rule.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cyclist antagonizes motorist.

Motorist gets out to throw down with cyclist.

Cyclist runs (rides) away. Calls police. Posts video online.

He's like a little brother who repeated punches his big brother in the face and when big brother hits back he goes crying to his mama.

Cyclist is a pussy. A little tattletale pussy.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed

moneydog59 wrote:
I have to admit, the "F" bombs sound so much classier in a british accent...
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what camera this guy was using to capture both directions? (front and back).

For those of you who ride with camera(s)- what do you recommend, I'm in the maket to get a camera on my bike.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist vs Motorist. When a confrontation escalates. [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
rframe wrote:
That motorist is going to run over the next cyclist he sees. Don't be an antagonistic twit on the bike.

The problem is you can't just complete ignore a motorists like that. He got way too close to the cyclist when he passed him and based on his "explanation" it would seem that it was intentional. If he's not confronted, he will just keep buzzing cyclists because they are in his "way".

Yep. The cyclist made such an elegant argument that I'm sure the motorist will change his ways.
Quote Reply

Prev Next