Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why no 12-32 cassettes?
Quote | Reply
What is with the obsession with 11t cassette sprockets?

I'm looking to get some logical gearing for IM Wales, I'm a relatively strong rider (~4.2W/kg FTP) but the gradients out on course can exceed 15% and I've got it on pretty good authority that the descents are mostly technical, with barely any opportunity to really get some speed up.

I use a 52/36 chainset, and ideally would like a 12-32 cassette. I usually use an 11-28, where I live and train is similarly hilly and I often find myself at threshold or above in the 36/28 (the roads are pretty rough, which doesn't help)

Nowhere sells them. It seems that no matter how many teeth the biggest ring has, they always put an 11t at the tight end. The only exception is the 12-25, which is puzzling.

I'm probably going to end up buying a 12-25 and an 11-32 and frankencassetting them, it seems that they've really neglected the non-racing, touring demographic with the 11sp products.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no 12-32 cassettes? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe there was a 12-30 Ultegra cassette for 10-speed drivetrains. Campag 10sp had a 13-29.

Maybe look at MTB? I think I saw 12-36 cassettes, so that might be easier to Frankencassette into a 12-32.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Why no 12-32 cassettes? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the options in 10sp were much better.
I'm using 11sp though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:

I'm looking to get some logical gearing for IM Wales, I'm a relatively strong rider (~4.2W/kg FTP) but the gradients out on course can exceed 15% and I've got it on pretty good authority that the descents are mostly technical, with barely any opportunity to really get some speed up.

I use a 52/36 chainset, and ideally would like a 12-32 cassette. I usually use an 11-28, where I live and train is similarly hilly and I often find myself at threshold or above in the 36/28 (the roads are pretty rough, which doesn't help)

Nowhere sells them. It seems that no matter how many teeth the biggest ring has, they always put an 11t at the tight end. The only exception is the 12-25, which is puzzling.

I'm probably going to end up buying a 12-25 and an 11-32 and frankencassetting them, it seems that they've really neglected the non-racing, touring demographic with the 11sp products.

How about Miche?

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jul 30, 15 3:54
Quote Reply
Re: Why no 12-32 cassettes? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm not understanding the product, but isn't this just a 12t ring?
The cassettes in question all already have a 12t ring, they just have an 11t ring before it.

I essentially want an 11speed 12-32 cassette.
If I was being really specific:
12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 32 would be perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
Maybe I'm not understanding the product, but isn't this just a 12t ring?
The cassettes in question all already have a 12t ring, they just have an 11t ring before it.

I essentially want an 11speed 12-32 cassette.
If I was being really specific:
12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 32 would be perfect.

It looks like they make a whole cassette that would work then and not too spendy either. See edited post above.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just get a compact crank?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Why no 12-32 cassettes? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

Yep

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why no 12-32 cassettes? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that looks like what I'm after
Quote Reply
Re: Why no 12-32 cassettes? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

I looked into this. It would cost more and wouldn't reduce the gain ratio as much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess the rationale for an 11-32 is that anyone wanting 32 is probably going up steep hills, hills that at some point they are going to want to go down, and the 11 could prove a bit more useful for going downhill.

I have an 11-32 cassette that I use on the rare occasion that I go riding in the mountains. My SRM is a 53/39, and for 98 percent of my riding, it perfectly fits my needs. The 39-32 combo is basically the same as a 34-27.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no 12-32 cassettes? [topflightpro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Normally, I'd agree with you. What goes up must come down etc.

In the case of the Tenby bike course, there won't be many/any chances to get up above 35-40mph, so a 52/11 is sort of useless to me there.
I'd rather have a tighter mid-block.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
replace the chain rings with 50-34 instead and go with 11-28
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Jul 30, 15 7:23
Quote Reply
Re: Why no 12-32 cassettes? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
replace the chain rings with 50-34 instead and go along with the 11-28

I answered this a little further up the thread.

It'll cost me more to replace the chainrings, and going from a 36 to a 34 inner chainring won't lower the gain ratio as much as the switch from a 28 to a 32 cassette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:
replace the chain rings with 50-34 instead and go along with the 11-28

I answered this a little further up the thread.

It'll cost me more to replace the chainrings, and going from a 36 to a 34 inner chainring won't lower the gain ratio as much as the switch from a 28 to a 32 cassette

that's true, but for the 32t cog you're going to need a longer cage r/d if you don't already have one
Quote Reply
Re: Why no 12-32 cassettes? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a good point.

I've already got a long cage derailleur, otherwise I'd be sticking a compact on there and calling it a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:

I'm looking to get some logical gearing for IM Wales, I'm a relatively strong rider (~4.2W/kg FTP) but the gradients out on course can exceed 15% and I've got it on pretty good authority that the descents are mostly technical, with barely any opportunity to really get some speed up

Sorry to jump in on your question, but is Tenby that tough it needs such low gearing? I was hoping to get round on the 53/39 with a 11/28 cassette that is on the bike. I'm nowhere near as strong a rider as you. Should I be worrying and changing my gears?
Quote Reply
Re: Why no 12-32 cassettes? [Triscilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triscilly wrote:
Liaman wrote:

I'm looking to get some logical gearing for IM Wales, I'm a relatively strong rider (~4.2W/kg FTP) but the gradients out on course can exceed 15% and I've got it on pretty good authority that the descents are mostly technical, with barely any opportunity to really get some speed up

Sorry to jump in on your question, but is Tenby that tough it needs such low gearing? I was hoping to get round on the 53/39 with a 11/28 cassette that is on the bike. I'm nowhere near as strong a rider as you. Should I be worrying and changing my gears?

It's fine, don't worry about it.

In short - Yes, you're best off with some easier gearing.
I've got no doubt that you can get round the course on the gears that you have, whether you'll be zapped on the run is another question.

Maybe I'm being a little anal about it, but there are similar climbs near my house that see me at >105% FTP just to turn the pedals at a reasonable cadence. If I can reduce the overload on those sections then I figure it'll pay dividends on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no 12-32 cassettes? [topflightpro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
topflightpro wrote:
My guess the rationale for an 11-32 is that anyone wanting 32 is probably going up steep hills, hills that at some point they are going to want to go down, and the 11 could prove a bit more useful for going downhill.

My guess is that there are a lot of amateurs who have convinced themselves they need gearing higher than Eddy Merckx used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
Yeah, the options in 10sp were much better.
I'm using 11sp though.

Well...if you liked the 10 speed 12-32 cassette that SRAM made, then the 11 speed is exactly the same but you add the 11t...no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've not tried it but Sram have 12-32 casstter you may need a long cage RD and some adjustment.

Call a few LBSs and/or speak to some who have done IM Wales.

You may even be able to use Shimano MTB cassette
Quote Reply
Re: Why no 12-32 cassettes? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never used the 12-32 10sp cassette, I was just commenting that 12-xx cassettes are more common in 10sp

Personally I wouldn't use a 10sp 12-32, it would he a bit too "loose".
I love the 10sp 12-28 though, and use it on my road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no 12-32 cassettes? [Triscilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triscilly wrote:

No... it's not that tough. I did IM Wales in 2012 on a 53/39 with a 12/27 cassette - my FTP/kg is about the same Liaman now, but I was slower 3 years ago. Not an issue. It's a hilly course for sure, and there are a couple of spots (Wiseman's Bridge, Narberth) where almost everyone will need to mash hard for a few seconds as the grade briefly hits >15% (allegedly >20%), but those spots are mercifully short.
The rest will be probably be fine with 39x28. Don't get me wrong - it's a hard ride, with lots of climbing for an IM course, but most riders will cope just fine on 53/39 with 11-28.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So for the guys suggesting a compact .... he already has a compact crank w/ a 52/ 36 ... 50/34 does not solve his equation

The issue 11/28 (10 or 11 speed) is that you lose the 16 in the middle ... for whatever reason I fish for the 16 so many times and it is not there ... 15 too much / 17 not enough (11 almost useless) so I deal with it. That said unless its a tough course (steeper climbs) I am rolling 12x27 ... in training I deal with the 11x28 but I an about to pull the 16 off a different cassette, dump the 11 and add the 16

On my road bike I don't seem to have as much a problem with that 15-17 swing

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why no 12-32 cassettes? [drsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just did the course on a sportive (6hrs avoiding traffic and a detour because of a crash) and live fairly local. I think the op is spot on with the gearing choice. 39-28 got me up Wiesmans bridge first time but second time if I had a marathon to run, then 39-32 would be really nice. Think you could burn a few matches on that climb especially because there's a another climb straight after it and then the run.
Quote Reply