Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone taking Iron Supplements?
Quote | Reply
I was curious if anyone has started taking iron on their own and what the results have been?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone taking Iron Supplements? [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes no difference if you take them on your own or if someone helps you.

But seriously, better to get your iron from food. Liver once a week or once a fortnight is my method.

it really is best to get all your nutrients from a decent balanced diet. Unless your doctor has diagnosed a genuine deficiency and has prescribed something, I wouldn't bother with supplements - waste of money.

Watched a program on the BBC recently, they had loads of supplements tested. Many of them didn't contain what was claimed on the packaging. Whole industry is a rip off and needs proper regulation.
Last edited by: Trev: Jul 30, 15 0:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take Iron supplements.
It's happened twice to me now that I have become Iron anemic to the point that my HGB was below 11 (normally about 15.5). Once it was pretty clear that I had intestinal issues, but last time during marathon training there was no clear sign of blood loss, rather just slowly losing form over time despite increased training. I take 50mg of Iron pretty much everyday now and have had no problems this year. I don't know if I just don't absorb it well, or lose lots when I run/sweat, but now that my girlfriend is a vegetarian I don't eat too much meat anymore and I need to keep my Iron up.

I find that once I started taking Iron my HGB went up about 0.6 per week, I notice the improvment in form quickly, but it still takes a good while to get back to good form.
You should probably visit your doctor to see if it is neccessary for you to take Iron supplements, I believe a small number of people over-store Iron and it becomes toxic with major side effects. (google hemochromatosis)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do start taking them (I don't) do a little research as to what foods to avoid while taking them. Certain things block the absorption of iron, like caffeine and dairy. Certain things help, like citrus (vit c). Also use this when eating iron rich food (lemonade with your burger, not a milkshake).

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to supplement with about one Iron race per year.

Results have been mixed, side effects include heavy legs and a strong but temporary sense of superiority.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone taking Iron Supplements? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
If you do start taking them (I don't) do a little research as to what foods to avoid while taking them. Certain things block the absorption of iron, like caffeine and dairy. Certain things help, like citrus (vit c). Also use this when eating iron rich food (lemonade with your burger, not a milkshake).

^This + I wouldn't suggest taking Iron supplements unless specifically diagnosed with a deficiency as another poster mentioned above. Not only is it a potential huge waste of money if you don't need it (supplements are dumb expensive), but too much Iron can block the absorption of other minerals as well leading to another potential deficiency and the cycle continues.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take supplements, as does my girlfriend. Many women are anemic or close to it, especially if they have heavy flow and are exercising/training a lot. I have naturally low levels.

Like others have said, look to consume iron-rich foods first, and then see if you do really need to take a supplement. Good point on looking into your nutrition as a whole to optimize absorption.

I have had several experts and athletes recommend the brand Proferrin, which I've been using for about a year.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering that most of us are on some form of restrictive diet (lighter = faster) and then doing copious amounts of exercise, I would be surprised we weren't a little iron deficient.

However I have a peculiar response to taking iron supplements, after about 3 days (and sometimes quicker) it's as though I have taken a super strong laxative. It's so pronounced that I have on occasion used an iron pill or two to get over constipation or to ensure that I am good to go before a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone taking Iron Supplements? [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"But seriously, better to get your iron from food. Liver once a week or once a fortnight is my method. "

I usually suggest just grating up the liver using a cheese grater or whatever and sprinkling the shavings into something every few days. As you said liver has it in such high concentrations (vitamin A also) you don't need that much of it. Doing it this way helps if you don't like the taste!
Last edited by: wahoopride: Jul 30, 15 7:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some years ago I started feeling really crappy and testing showed that I had an HGB of 9.x, hematocrit in the low 30's and blood iron level of 40-something. Started taking two tablets of a generic equivalent to 47mg SlowFE daily, and over many months got back to normal. I now take one daily and my annual physical shows blood iron level is consistently on the higher end of the normal range (60 - 170), but never over.

Brian

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically you need to get it diagnosed and addressed by a professional.

At program start we make everyone get checked, my personal experience is that once you start drifting below 40 SF then performance drops. If you are at 40 or below then you should likely talk with a professional about possible supplementation or changes in diet.

The standard of 40 or above is backed up by a lot of sporting organizations, IE Australian institute of sport, cross country ski Canada etc.

We coach a lot of women, some FOP and most are in the 40-60 range, some maintain with better diet, others supplement under the direction of their GP.

Maurice
Quote Reply