Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let's say we hosted a Slowtwitch evening at your LBS [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you could get fitted by Slowman himself.
If you could swap wigs with Herbert, as well as t-shirts (he likes his Ts).
If you could hear from Monty how much better it was back then.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's say we hosted a Slowtwitch evening at your LBS [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan,

i have organized a lot of events at bike shops & outdoor shops over the years and 75 is a very (very) good turnout. Some keys to success I've found are:

1) lots of advance notice so people can plan for it. 3 weeks is ok, 4 weeks is best
2) beer - free beer
3) co-sponsor with a local tri-club, local grassroots cycling team, local junior cycling or tri team... something that has a vested interest in bringing other people
4) some activity - a ride, a run, a swim earlier in the day
5) a professional athlete to participate in that event
6) some purchase incentive to attend - X% off product that night, special bike partnership if ordered that night, etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Vancouver, Canada, that's an easy answer, offer beer

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
as someone pointed out, i'm thinking more along the line of, say, 75 to 150 people over the course of a day, with various things going on throughout the day that would bring in different cohorts. i don't know if that's practical. but, you might have a schedule of events, and some of these take place outside. so, here's a sample...

1. bring your bike in, get it washed and lubed by the WD40 or ProGold tech reps, they show you how to do it right, and they offer packs of their products at a good discount on-site. so that's outside, during the day.
2. also during the day there's a lunch BBQ.
3. there are bike fittings going on all day long.
4. there are sales going on all day long. maybe a number of manufacturers decide these are great opportunities to get rid or last season's stuff.
5. throughout the afternoon and evening more lectures and personal appearances. i haven't spoken to any companies, but i would expect there would be a number of them, so, you have roka, specialized, QR, felt, orbea, blueseventy, and so forth, and they'd bring in some of their pro athletes.
6. maybe the day starts with a bike ride and the pro athletes are on the ride. maybe a ride and a run, from the shop.
7. evening, there's a raffle.
8. clinics throughout the day on how bikes, wetsuits, etc., compare. so, if you're looking for a wetsuit, and i mean if YOU are looking, which of the wetsuits the store sells is the best for you. likewise bike, etc. and how to go about properly choosing.
9. each store will have a lot of manufacturer's reps in the store, all day long, so if you're interested in a QR or an Orbea the rep will be in the store, you can talk to him.
10. the event will be free, but:
A. there will be a cost for the food
B. we'll raffle big things, but there'll be a cost for the raffle. raffle tickets would, i think, be sold in advance of the event, because some of the raffle winners will be those who get fit on that day. the fits going on all day long will be fits won during the raffle. and, if possible, the bike, wetsuit, etc., won during the raffle will be picked up on the day of the event, with the braintrust there to help pick out the wetsuit, fit the customer to the bike, etc.

maybe something like that.

yes to all of this! come to the pacific northwest please!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Pros or athletes that are racing or involved in the local community.
2. Raffle prizes, including a unique grand prize
3. LBS has to be convenient and easy to park for 75+ people. Some are great locations but are set for the 10-15 customers they have in shop at any one time.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan, does it have to be a LBS? I'd be much more interested if it was associated with a local race. Here are some random thoughts:

- Support for Indie (or at least non-WTC or Challenge brand) races
- Could be there for on-site registration, during and post race
- Would see more triathletes than would typically come to the LBS
- Perhaps a multi-day event? Thinking something like Lake Logan this weekend in NC: 700+ Saturday for the half, 200+ Sunday for Olympic / Sprint.

It would bring more of the Carnival atmosphere to a local race that you get at the bigger WTC races.
Quote Reply

Prev Next