Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gator Hardshell for IM?
Quote | Reply
I've got a brand new set of Gator Hardshell I bought a while back to use for training. Since then I up-dated bike and wheelset. Currently riding Specialized Turbo 220 tpi tires and have put about 1,000 miles on them and had planned on putting a new set of tires before IM LOU in Oct. I'm not too concerned about speed as I typically ride avg about 17 mph on IM training rides. So, short of putting on the Hardshells and riding them, will I really notice a much slower ride or feel like I'm working harder to maintain speed based on what any have experienced?

"Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." Carl Spackler, a looper, ya know, a caddy, a looper, a jock.
Quote Reply
Re: Gator Hardshell for IM? [tr(eye)doc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you want to make yourself ride slower? Why not use a racing tire and bring a tube and CO2 with you?

Gatorskins and Gator Hardshells have terrible rolling resistance. They are meant for training

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jul 29, 15 18:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're in the 35-39 age group, by all means put on those gatorskins

You're only losing 8 watts per wheel

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._8.7_watts_P5581314/
Quote Reply
Re: Gator Hardshell for IM? [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vancity wrote:
If you're in the 35-39 age group, by all means put on those gatorskins

You're only losing 8 watts per wheel

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._8.7_watts_P5581314/

I would bet money that the Gator Hardshells are significantly worse because of the reinforced sidewalls.
Quote Reply
Re: Gator Hardshell for IM? [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going shopping!

"Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." Carl Spackler, a looper, ya know, a caddy, a looper, a jock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tr(eye)doc wrote:
I've got a brand new set of Gator Hardshell I bought a while back to use for training. Since then I up-dated bike and wheelset. Currently riding Specialized Turbo 220 tpi tires and have put about 1,000 miles on them and had planned on putting a new set of tires before IM LOU in Oct. I'm not too concerned about speed as I typically ride avg about 17 mph on IM training rides. So, short of putting on the Hardshells and riding them, will I really notice a much slower ride or feel like I'm working harder to maintain speed based on what any have experienced?

In my opinion it depends on how much you train with the hardshells. If you train with the hardshells pretty consistently, well you won't really notice yourself going any slower. That being said, I've trained on both hardshells and racing tires and I've hardly noticed the difference after maybe an hour or so into the first ride after a fresh change between the tires. Going into a race with race tires gives you a nice mental boost (bringing out the game day gear, etc) and scientifically they will make things a little faster for you. That said, I sometimes don't mind racing on the hardshells just for the extra piece of mind.

Honestly, unless you are planning to win this race...you'd probably be better off using the extra hour or two you'd spend researching and buying different tires on a good training session instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get some Conti GP4000S IIs. They roll so much faster that you could get a flat, fix it, and still be at T2 faster than if you ran the Gatorskins.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Gator Hardshell for IM? [Eaglerulez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eaglerulez wrote:

In my opinion it depends on how much you train with the hardshells. If you train with the hardshells pretty consistently, well you won't really notice yourself going any slower. That being said, I've trained on both hardshells and racing tires and I've hardly noticed the difference after maybe an hour or so into the first ride after a fresh change between the tires.

I can't notice 1mph difference in speed without measuring it. But going 1mph faster is good. That's why we train. To go faster in races.

About racing tires:
Eaglerulez wrote:
scientifically they will make things a little faster for you.
They are faster in reality, not just "scientifically." "Science" (measurement actually) is how we know, but it's reality whether you observe it yourself or not.

Eaglerulez wrote:
Honestly, unless you are planning to win this race...you'd probably be better off using the extra hour or two you'd spend researching and buying different tires on a good training session instead.

He already knows the Gators are slow and the other tire is faster.

If the OP doesn't care about is time, or has some massive fear of flats that prevents him enjoying the race experience, then whatever. But faster tires are faster whether we can feel it or not.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply