Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone using TENS units? Any success?
Quote | Reply
Been fighting a bit of a glute strain....been going on / off for a couple of months, but really flared up again after my half-marathon 10 days ago.

Out of curiosity, I am trying a couple of different TENS units (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation)...basically it is a smaller, weaker versions of an EMS machine.

Was just wondering if anyone here had used them...if so, for what and to any degree of success. FWIW, it does seem to have helped my issue, but not completely resolve it.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using TENS units? Any success? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use one and not sure it's resolved anything for me. Does provide some short term relief

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I use my Compex three to four days a week. Pretty amazing device and it has made a tremendous difference with me.

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using TENS units? Any success? [El Jefe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
El Jefe wrote:

I use my Compex three to four days a week. Pretty amazing device and it has made a tremendous difference with me.

Yeah, but Compex is EMS, not TENS, right?

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Correct. TENS targets nerve, EMS targets muscle. Both have some crossover effect since they are both electrical stim units. Since it's your glute (muscle) that is strained, you may have better luck with an EMS. I use mine for recovery, blood flow, warm up, muscle endurance and even strength/resistance (supplement to my weight training). I don't use it for pain relief. Great results all around.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found TENS pretty much useless..

My EMS however is very effective... they are paid for in the equivalent of 2 visits to a sports massage joint too..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither one will truly fix the problem. TENS basically blocks pain signals to your brain, and in theory, can ease muscle tension as it breaks the pain/spasm cycle. EMS causes muscle contractions, which can stimulate some pain dampening effect but doesn't necessarily "heal" anything. If you ramp a TENS unit up high enough it causes contractions too FWIW. A strained muscle = a damaged muscle, that requires time to heal. Manage exposure to stress you put on it for the next while and use TENS/EMS as pain relief, but it certainly won't heal anything per se. EMS could stimulate contraction in the muscle to help begin strengthening again, but if you have voluntary control of the muscle you're better off doing it yourself if you can!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using TENS units? Any success? [.Buck.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, should have Ben clearer....I'm not necessarily looking for it to solve my issue. I was trying it on my glute just to see if it actually eased the pain. I do seem to get some short-term relief.

I was just curious as to others experience with TENS units in general, and what problems they used it for.

For those that have used EMS, what units did you use (if it wasn't the Compex unit)?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TENS is used to treat all kinds of pain states. Yes, it causes contractions if you set a low amplitude (1-2hz). A very high amplitude, like 180hz, just prickles a bit and reduces pain by basically overriding the nociceptors. Both is useful of course.

I use TENS/EMS for recovery. Just having it on for 1-2h hours improves blood flow and likely speeds up recovery. We know that inactivity is really bad for recovery but still athletes need inactivity to recharge for the next workout. I feel like TENS is a golden middle road. I can relax and still recovery better. I use it almost exclusively on my calfs.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply