Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, don't ask if she'll be home in time to help with the kids. She's going out with friends. Occasionally women like to remember that they're not just moms (and wives). If my husband asked if I would be home in time to help with the kids I would feel like he is either expecting me to help (after I've probably done the bulk of kidcare that day usually), doesn't like doing it by himself (that's O.K., I don't either), or is annoyed that I'm not there to help. Anyway, it's bad. I'd just assume she's not going to be home by then and roll with it. If she does come home in time to help, bonus.

This. And it's not like getting the kids ready for and putting them to bed, etc., is rocket science. I'm quite capable of and enjoy doing it myself.

I think she feels like you're treating her like a child who has to check in. I'm sure that's not how you feel, but if my husband was bugging me with texts when I'm out with friends, I'd be pretty irritated. She may be reacting a little passive aggressively by ignoring your texts. I'd back off a bit the next couple of times she goes out and see if that helps matters.

That was my thought also. I don't see a problem with a text if it's significantly past the anticipated time or something like that. But I also know that the controlling husband who texts to know whereabouts all the time is likely to be the subject of the conversation.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
timboricki wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Tridiot wrote:
Not sure what else there is I could add, but if you let me know what you think I'm withholding I'll do my best to fill in any blanks.

If I don't know when she's coming home, I don't know how long I have to stay up to get frisky...

Seriously? Just wake up when she gets home.

When was the last time you banged her?

I like to know how long she'll be gone so that I know if I should rub one out or not.

Just rub one out. Deal with the wife later. Not really an issue.

I prefer to know how much time i have. A self-quickie or hunting around for the perfect video on my phone.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timboricki wrote:
Duffy wrote:
timboricki wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Tridiot wrote:
Not sure what else there is I could add, but if you let me know what you think I'm withholding I'll do my best to fill in any blanks.

If I don't know when she's coming home, I don't know how long I have to stay up to get frisky...

Seriously? Just wake up when she gets home.

When was the last time you banged her?

I like to know how long she'll be gone so that I know if I should rub one out or not.

Just rub one out. Deal with the wife later. Not really an issue.

I prefer to know how much time i have. A self-quickie or hunting around for the perfect video on my phone.

What, you need a good plot or something?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Just to clarify, I know what her plans are (unless she's totally lying), so the shoulder shrug is about when she'll be home.

But isn't a shoulder shrug an answer. I would interpret that as he saying it's likely to be late, she doesn't know for sure, because sometime with friends, you don't know how things will play out. As long as I didn't have some reason why I needed to have her back by a certain time, such as I have something I absolutely have to do at a given time and she'll need to watch the kid, I wouldn't have a problem with a shoulder shrug.

If instead of a shoulder shrug, she had said, "I don't know. Proabaly late. We're going to play it by ear," would you still have had a problem?

That'd be a great response, I'd be totally ok with that.

I guess I should add that she's rarely if ever giving any indication about how late she'll be home. So I'm forced to ask. We're not "lets play it by ear" people, ESPECIALLY not her.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When your wife sends you in an errand always(!) make sure you take at least double the amount of time it actually takes to do the errand.

I'm always volunteering to run errands. The best errand is picking up prescriptions from CVS. Because the prescription just might not be ready, or their might be an unusually long line, meaning I can either grab a bite at the Thai restaurant or a drink at the pub located in the same shopping center. Or sometimes just drive around.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Married with 3 young boys so we don't have this situation often but even for standard situations we text each other when we are leaving.

I'n the stay at home dad but my wife texts me when she leaves work. It is simple common courtesy. If she hits bad traffic she texts me. This way I know to delay dinner of hold off putting the boys to bed so she can see them for a few minutes.

Let go of knowing where she is going and who she is with. Make it simply about safety and ask her to let you know when she is on her way home.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
My first thought was that you were being a little uptight and should relax a bit.

But on reflection, the questions you're asking are not unreasonable. (Assuming the tone and context when asking is also reasonable.) That she doesn't seem to answer those questions when you ask them, or worse, is being evasive is a little concerning.

My wife and I generally communicate well, to the point that when either of us is out, whether for work or something else, we let the other know what's up, where we're going, who we're with, and when we'll be back. It's not like we feel an obligation to keep the other informed, or that have a right to know, just that it's parts of our life that we want to share. But sometimes we get caught up and don't do this. It's really no big deal. If my wife is out with friends, and I start wondering when she'll get back, I might text her. And usually she responds. But if she doesn't , I'll assume that she didn't see the text or that there's some other legitimate reason. Usually, however, I don't wonder. I go to bed at my bedtime and assume everything is fine.

But it would be concerning if I were to ask and got the runaround. But even then, it could be tone. A simple question is one thing. An interrogation is another.

I'll have to check my tone, I think it is at worst neutral, but will double check.

We definitely check in on stuff. I make sure to do it as much as is possible, even if I'm just going to be home 5 minutes later than normal so she knows I'll still wake the kids up from naptime so she can keep working out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
When she gets home after having wine with her friends try to get frisky with her.

If she turns you down she might have already been frisky with somebody else.

If my wife didn't turn me down, I would assume she was cheating.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang, I hate this is in my head now, but -

Going along with your "if this has changed recently" theory, she's also been SUPER into working out since about the New Year, and has also bought some new clothes. Additional warning signs?

She felt like she didn't fully bounce back from our second child, so she's gotten really into working out and is probably in the best shape she's ever been in.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tridiot wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Just to clarify, I know what her plans are (unless she's totally lying), so the shoulder shrug is about when she'll be home.

But isn't a shoulder shrug an answer. I would interpret that as he saying it's likely to be late, she doesn't know for sure, because sometime with friends, you don't know how things will play out. As long as I didn't have some reason why I needed to have her back by a certain time, such as I have something I absolutely have to do at a given time and she'll need to watch the kid, I wouldn't have a problem with a shoulder shrug.

If instead of a shoulder shrug, she had said, "I don't know. Proabaly late. We're going to play it by ear," would you still have had a problem?

That'd be a great response, I'd be totally ok with that.

I guess I should add that she's rarely if ever giving any indication about how late she'll be home. So I'm forced to ask. We're not "lets play it by ear" people, ESPECIALLY not her.

O.K., I'm adding on a bit based on your additional posts. First, she's out a lot! Much more than me, which I think factors into the situation.

I think a reasonable compromise would be to have some standing time home by for the recurring events like Zumba. She should also tell the kids that she's not going to be home by bedtime on those nights. For the MNO and friends nights, I'd probably go with the 'assume I'm home by midnight' and no further.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She did tell you. Some time after the kids are in bed. If she isn't dragging in past 2AM then I would have no issue with it.

If you truly don't care about ETA's then why the 2AM limit? After all "Sometime after the kids are in bed could me a week from today at 5AM".

You don't need to know exactly when she will arrive. If I were her I'd say 4AM. Then when I show at 2AM I can say I was early.

But wait I thought you said that if she isn't dragging in past 2AM then you would have no issue with it. So you have no issue with if she says 4AM, but if there is no time then 4AM is not ok? Again, I think this shows that you DO care but simply have a slightly larger window then others as far as "Time frame". That is ENTIRELY different then not having a time frame at all.

As I said earlier my "Time frame" changes even on time of day. Unless I'm planning something that involves my wife the "Window" is much wider open from 8AM to 8PM then it is from 8PM to midnight and midnight to 8AM etc. Leaving at 8AM and saying "Not exactly sure" is different then leaving at 8PM and saying "Not sure". "After dinner" does not mean 4AM.

Again you have an ETA window you're just not asking for a specific time.

All of this also depends on the situation, time, conditions etc.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's where my wife and I use to establish the appropriate action. What would you tell your children? The other day, I started driving forward and 10 seconds later started putting on my seatbelt. Yep. She asked. "What would you say to one of your children if they did that". She was absolutely right.

So if a child is out, I want to be informed when they head home. Or if they go somewhere other than where they told me. I would do the same for my wife. She would do the same for me. Texts are easy and they work. We do this all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for a second response.

Zumba is very normal, if she goes to the 7:30 Monday night one she's home at about 8:45 and I've gotten the kids ready for bed and we just pop them asleep.

I think I'm going to ask her a few questions about this (If I'm making her feel controlled or like a kid, if I'm asking with a poor tone) and then end it nicely with I'll assume midnight unless she tells me otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently asking in the LR for marriage advice is basically the same thing as looking up your own symptoms on webmd. Your wife is cheating on you, and you are dying of brain cancer.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 am is closing time, at least in CA.

Up until around 2 am, it's feasible that she's still at the bar with friends. Significantly after 2 am, better chance in bed with someone.

That said, I remember telling my son when he went out on a date, "I want you in bed by 11, home by midnight."
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, my wife knows that I can be out as late as 2:30am. Id I was to, say, go to Atlantic City and stay out until 5:00am, I'd tell her that. Otherwise, she just expects that I'll be out until 2:30.

This is what I was getting at with JPO. It's not that you don't have an ETA you have a generally known and accepted on. If you deviate from that you check in.

My wife doesn't ask when I will be home from work everyday, it's pretty close to the same time everyday. Sometimes however she does because she has to plan something. I can say "Probably usual time" and it's a relatively known ETA. Same for you if you go do something and you are generally home at 2:30 your wife doesn't have to ask, but you still have an expected ETA. If you deviate from that you let her know, again I see that as a common courtesy that I apply to everyone I know, not just my wife.

If it's an "Occasional" and "Irregular thing" then there is no established ETA so asking a time is not unusual. It really depends on the couple.

Neither me nor my wife are big "Stay out late" types when we do we are generally together. If either of us head out at night for any reason we generally give a time because it's an usual situation for us. If I was doing something regularly, when we were single I was on a mens dart league, there was a "General time we would be home". If it ended up later then that I would call.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Is this a reasonable request of my wife when she goes out with friends? [CPA_Triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPA_Triathlete wrote:
Here's where my wife and I use to establish the appropriate action. What would you tell your children? The other day, I started driving forward and 10 seconds later started putting on my seatbelt. Yep. She asked. "What would you say to one of your children if they did that". She was absolutely right.

So if a child is out, I want to be informed when they head home. Or if they go somewhere other than where they told me. I would do the same for my wife. She would do the same for me. Texts are easy and they work. We do this all the time.

I have different expectations for a child versus an adult. My husband doesn't have a cell phone anyways, so texts don't work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going along with your "if this has changed recently" theory, she's also been SUPER into working out since about the New Year, and has also bought some new clothes. Additional warning signs?

She felt like she didn't fully bounce back from our second child, so she's gotten really into working out and is probably in the best shape she's ever been in.

I'm just going to assume this was supposed to be in pink.

But honestly if she has always been this way and it's just now bothering you because of the kids etc, then talk about and tell her it bothers you and why. If it has been a recent change and previously it was "Yeah I'll be home at "X" with no issues"...well then something else has changed.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Up until around 2 am, it's feasible that she's still at the bar with friends. Significantly after 2 am, better chance in bed with someone.

Which is reasonable but at the same time means that ETA's matter. What those ETA's are, when etc will change from person to person and couple to couple. Saying "I don't ever ask" is not the same as saying "I don't care what the ETA is". I don't know any real stable couple that REALLY doesn't care. In this case 2:30 is fine, 4AM, not good. That means there's an ETA.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timboricki wrote:

Just rub one out anyway. Therefore, whether you're up when she comes home or not, you got to have sex with SOMEBODY that night.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you truly don't care about ETA's then why the 2AM limit? After all "Sometime after the kids are in bed could me a week from today at 5AM".

Because some time before 2AM is a perfectly normal time for someone to come home after a night out. 5AM a week from next Tuesday is an outlier.

But wait I thought you said that if she isn't dragging in past 2AM then you would have no issue with it. So you have no issue with if she says 4AM, but if there is no time then 4AM is not ok?

I don't think I ever said no time frame. If I did I misspoke. Again, 4 AM is outside the norm in my house. I play a lot of poker at other people's house. Sometimes the game breaks up at midnight. Occasionally it goes until 3. If it were to go to daybreak that would be out of the ordinary. I would text for after 4, but I could also be home at midnight (so she knows to get her boyfriend out by 11:45). But we do mock the people who have their wives texting them at 10:30 asking when they will be home. If my wife did that to me I would be annoyed and would either ignore it or give a nonsensical answer like 5 AM a week from next Tuesday.

As I said earlier my "Time frame" changes even on time of day. Unless I'm planning something that involves my wife the "Window" is much wider open from 8AM to 8PM then it is from 8PM to midnight and midnight to 8AM etc. Leaving at 8AM and saying "Not exactly sure" is different then leaving at 8PM and saying "Not sure". "After dinner" does not mean 4AM.

I'm actually much more likely to get annoyed if she left at 8AM and didn't get home until 6 PM than leave at 8PM and get home at 6AM. If she goes out for the night I know she is out for the night. But if she leaves early in the day I may want to do something with her later. I'm not going to make plans for 1:30 AM, by that time I have handled things on my own, twice.

Again you have an ETA window you're just not asking for a specific time.
All of this also depends on the situation, time, conditions etc.

And I have a big window. But sure, if she goes to lunch and has no contact until after dinner I'm going to wonder if she is in a ditch somewhere.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your request isn't unreasonable at all. And I have been through similar things with my wife so it may just be a woman thing. I always blame my time in the military but I'm all about information and timelines. If my wife is running to a friends house I ask the same questions for the same reasons. Do I need to bathe the kids and put them in bed? Will you be home before I go to bed? All I'm wanting is a ballpark eta and a text if that changes. I don't see an issue there. Plus, my wife is similar in that two drinks is a wild night for her. I can make her a pina colada and she'll still be drinking it an hour later. Meanwhile, I'm on my 4th beer.

A reversed example of this just happened:
I just went for a run during lunch. I sent a text to my wife telling her I was going running and I would call her when finished (I typically call her during lunch). I didn't call her soon enough after I finished and she called to check on me. I wasn't upset at her for checking on me. I was more upset that I didn't call when I said I would. Besides, we live in Mississippi and the heat index is 104 at the moment so she has a good reason to worry.

Bottom line: If it's midnight and I don't know where my wife is, I have a reason to worry. Just watch the news for 30 seconds and you'll see all about car wrecks and whacko's.

The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die. -Steve Prefontaine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tridiot wrote:
Dang, I hate this is in my head now, but -

I hope that your wife is not having an affair, and she probably isn't having an affair. However, there seems to be enough smoke here that I would be on the lookout, and I recommend that you don't attempt to dispel your concerns with a full on conversation about this right off the bat. I think you are going to be a bit emotional right now. I think you should just try to chill and observe for a few days before you have this conversation because you may figure out that you don't need to have it, or at least not have it along these lines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the OP:

I would cut your wife some slack. When women get together, the intricacies of their demonic rituals can be unpredictable. Translating the incantations is difficult, someone always forgets to bring the bucket of lamb's blood, and it can take a long time to fold up those leathery wings and hooves so they fit back into a human skin-suit once the ceremony is completed. That doesn't even take into account the chit chat that goes on around the punch and cookies table.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next