Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMLP: Blocking vs. Drafting
Quote | Reply
I should preface this post by saying Lake Placid was my first full and first WTC race (race report coming soon) and I'm a MOP athlete (12:36 on Sunday). I was surprised that I didn't see as much drafting as I expected. I think I was only passed by one group of guys that was obviously riding together. It's quite possible they the others were well in front of me. That being said there were tons of people that didn't keep to the right and made passing challenging or dangerous. Lots of them just chilling in the middle of the road, oblivious to people around them.

Is that fairly standard at LP or large races like that? It was quite frustrating, especially during the long descent into Keene.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP: Blocking vs. Drafting [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost hit someone coming down to Keene because they were in the right as I was coming in fast at 40+mph. In addition to this the bicycle handling on the turnarounds were pathetic, I saw one girl go off the road almost into a bunch of volunteers due to her piss poor handling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the long out and back to Ausable Forks was where I saw what could be described as blocking. Some were in the middle of the road and seemed clueless about it, while others were in the middle trying to find the smoothest line in areas where the road was not in great shape.

Nice job with your first full distance.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was also surprise by the small size of packs (happy to see that in a positive way). I can say that I rode solo without seeing a single bike on the second loop from Lake Placid until Ausable Fork turnaround... It was weird to experience that, there's 2400+ athletes and for 30mi not a single one to cross path! I was riding almost at the same speed as the leaders.

On the first loop, there's a section from down the Keene descent that I rode with 3-4 riders for next 10-15mi. Everyone was riding very legally even more space between bikes that I'm using to see we were 15-20m appart... I was amongst top 10 during the bike, and often some might try to cheat to stay in front but not on Sunday. Cool to see that type of behavior, fair race and good ethics.

Riding on the right and blocking, people don't understand this rule very well in general. As for the section out-back to Ausable Forks the road was full of cracks... So I would understand having people all over the road for few seconds or a little longer then the usual time spent on the left side of the road. My race ended exactly in that section at 88mi, hit a crack lost control and was carry out in ambulance.

Congrats on finishing the race!
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP: Blocking vs. Drafting [johnald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure you meant to say they were 'in the right'? That's where a slower rider should be.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP: Blocking vs. Drafting [onethinmint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant left, I obviously did not proofread that post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was out of the water in ~1:05 and biked ~5:35 and there were definitely at least 3 groups packed together on the flats following the Keene descent to Ausable turnaround but only on the first loop. I tried to pass a group at one point but it was a futile effort; like others have said bikers 3-4 wide across the road. It definitely got worse when the road conditions were rougher, but it was alleviated once we hit the hill turning onto 86.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP: Blocking vs. Drafting [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
biglazybum wrote:
I should preface this post by saying Lake Placid was my first full and first WTC race (race report coming soon) and I'm a MOP athlete (12:36 on Sunday). I was surprised that I didn't see as much drafting as I expected. I think I was only passed by one group of guys that was obviously riding together. It's quite possible they the others were well in front of me. That being said there were tons of people that didn't keep to the right and made passing challenging or dangerous. Lots of them just chilling in the middle of the road, oblivious to people around them.

Is that fairly standard at LP or large races like that? It was quite frustrating, especially during the long descent into Keene.

Not atypical of most races--there are lots of people who are oblivious to what's happening around them, or who simply don't care.

My experience with most races as well, regardless of length. Many folks either don't know to ride to the right or just don't care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnald wrote:
I almost hit someone coming down to Keene because they were in the right as I was coming in fast at 40+mph. In addition to this the bicycle handling on the turnarounds were pathetic, I saw one girl go off the road almost into a bunch of volunteers due to her piss poor handling.
You should've stayed near Mirra, at least then you don't have to worry about the bike handling skills :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience block is worse than drafting, and more dangerous too!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote johnald In addition to this the bicycle handling on the turnarounds were pathetic, I saw one girl go off the road almost into a bunch of volunteers due to her piss poor handling.[/quote

Was that the lady that went wide on the turnaround and almost took out a few spectators near the porta johns?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP: Blocking vs. Drafting [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got yelled at by a rider last year at IM Whistler during the climb up from Pemberton. He was about a foot from the center line and I said on your left, and he did nothing so I passed on the right. That was when he yelled at me and said some choice words. So much for friendly Canadians.

Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it. John D. Rockefeller Sr.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP: Blocking vs. Drafting [DeVinci13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DeVinci13 wrote:
I got yelled at by a rider last year at IM Whistler during the climb up from Pemberton. He was about a foot from the center line and I said on your left, and he did nothing so I passed on the right. That was when he yelled at me and said some choice words. So much for friendly Canadians.

How did you know he was Canadian? Did he call you a "hoser" and end his sentences with "eh"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done this race a few times and spectate every year and was actually surprised at how little drafting I saw out there. I am a BOP and usually see a bunch of drafting with friends riding together. The blocking though was the worst I have ever experienced firsthand in a race. There were a few people (coincidentally on the same team) that I kept leapfrogging (I'm fat so would pass them on the downs and flats, and they would get me back going uphill) and they would never get over. They were asked/warned numerous times by fellow racers as well as people out on the course and they would never stay to the right.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP: Blocking vs. Drafting [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there was a guy who unclipped and yelled "Jesus" right after then yes.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP: Blocking vs. Drafting [DeVinci13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DeVinci13 wrote:

Is it legal to pass on the right when a slower cyclist is riding left? As a slower swimmer and decent biker I usually end up passing lots on the bike leg. I have a sprint tri this weekend with a closed course, two loops and there are a lot of people who stay to the left. The worst are the guys doing 20-22 mph who think they are the fastest ones out there.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP: Blocking vs. Drafting [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anachronism wrote:
DeVinci13 wrote:

Is it legal to pass on the right when a slower cyclist is riding left? As a slower swimmer and decent biker I usually end up passing lots on the bike leg. I have a sprint tri this weekend with a closed course, two loops and there are a lot of people who stay to the left. The worst are the guys doing 20-22 mph who think they are the fastest ones out there.

No, it isn't. Do it at your own risk... Both of penalty, and crashing out when the person finally swings over to the right hand side of the road expecting it to be empty.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost got forced into a semi coming the other way at Eagleman this year because a guy riding to the left decided to go more to the left when I was passing him. But overall wasn't much of a problem there considering how much of the field I passed that day. Only had a few other problems. Find it more in local races were there is a sprint and oly distance from the lower sprinters.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP: Blocking vs. Drafting [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said!
Quote Reply