Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How fast does St. Anthonys Oly Sell Out?
Quote | Reply
Wondering if this is like an IMFL/IMAZ scenario where it is impossible to get in without being onsite.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast does St. Anthonys Oly Sell Out? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it last year, GF did it this year, don't think it ever sold out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it used to sell out in 30 minutes, not anymore,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since they've added a sprint the last couple years the chance of the Oly selling out is pretty slim. So don't sweat over it... I'll be there for the 4th year in a row come 2016. Maybe this time I'll have a good race. Stupid run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It quit selling out after a run of bad luck where they cancelled or curtailed the swim leg several years in a row. I bet they added the sprint to try to get the numbers back where they where before. Maybe after several years of good weather it will regain popularity. Still, it's amazing that a race that used to sell out in a day now offers registration discounts a week out from race date.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast does St. Anthonys Oly Sell Out? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
It quit selling out after a run of bad luck where they cancelled or curtailed the swim leg several years in a row. I bet they added the sprint to try to get the numbers back where they where before. Maybe after several years of good weather it will regain popularity. Still, it's amazing that a race that used to sell out in a day now offers registration discounts a week out from race date.

They've re-rerouted the swim course to hopefully reduce the type of problems they had in he past. I thought the swim went pretty well this year, but it was still a bit windy and rough for the first few starting waves, including the pros and elites. I did the sprint and started 1-1/2 hours after the first Oly waves - by that time the wind had died down and the swim was pretty smooth.

Still a fun and well-organized race. I'm planning on doing the sprint again next year.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: How fast does St. Anthonys Oly Sell Out? [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm aware of the change, but they have also curtailed the swim even on the rerouted course due to choppy conditions (the pro's, of course, did the whole swim). The point is they need many years in a row of not having to cancel or truncate the swim to attract people back. St Anthony's reputation was established as an Olympic distance triathlon. It is an expensive race and many quit doing it when the risk of it becoming an overpriced duathlon or something less than an oly became too great. The other problem for St Anthony's has been an increase in the number of competing venues. The sport is now going through a shakeout, and that is likely to help SAT as well.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast does St. Anthonys Oly Sell Out? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Yes, I'm aware of the change, but they have also curtailed the swim even on the rerouted course due to choppy conditions (the pro's, of course, did the whole swim). The point is they need many years in a row of not having to cancel or truncate the swim to attract people back. St Anthony's reputation was established as an Olympic distance triathlon. It is an expensive race and many quit doing it when the risk of it becoming an overpriced duathlon or something less than an oly became too great. The other problem for St Anthony's has been an increase in the number of competing venues. The sport is now going through a shakeout, and that is likely to help SAT as well.

Agree. I used to do Miami South Beach and St. Anthony's. Did the race (StA) twice and both times the swim was cancelled.....too expense trip for me coming from Mid-Atlantic to risk again. With the addition of the Sprint and a good chance the swim will be altered/cancelled, to me, it's lost a little of it's reputation as being one of the premier OLY events and I limit the trip now to just Miami.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it this past year for the first time. I had no problem getting a slot and realistically, it didn't seem like a very crowded race. I assume it's because of the afformentioned swim issues in the past.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe it. SA used to be the premier event in April on the east coast. That race sold out in a matter of minutes. I've known people pay 500 dollars for the charity entry to get a slot. Now it doesn't sell out...wow have the times changed.

It's still a great race and I plan on racing it next year to see if I can improve upon my time from when I was 30.
Quote Reply