Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leg Muscle Activation Differences
Quote | Reply
I began using virtual power a couple of years ago. I noticed that my left leg is not as strong or as quick as my right leg. Does anyone else have experience with this issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Leg Muscle Activation Differences [Rocking Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know anything about virtual power, but in dealing with an Achilles injury (orthopedist and physical therapist were both runners who specialized in sports medicine) and from a seminar I went to given by a former Olympic runner turned physical therapist, I can tell you that I was consistently told that most athletes have muscle imbalances and those imbalances cause injuries.

On their advice, I have added lunges and single-leg deadlifts to my workouts twice a week, and I have noticed that my leg strength has gotten more even. There is probably something similar you can do for quickness, but I am not familiar with that. The key, though, is to work each side separately and evenly so the already stronger leg doesn't do all the work and create more of an imbalance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how do you know for sure? virtual power from which program? does it measure left/right power?
Quote Reply
Re: Leg Muscle Activation Differences [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using Trainer Road. It does not measure right and left leg separately. When I did single leg drills, the power, leg speed and efficiency differences really became apparent on paper and while pedaling. My left leg feels a little heavier and sluggish compared to my right leg. It seems to improve after 30-45 minutes. I wonder if high cadence spinning and strength training is the answer or if there is something else that needs to be addressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually wouldn't worry about it - leg power imbalance's are common. This is just my opinion, you would be better served spending time training 'normally' than doing single leg drills etc. Keep in mind also, that the results you are getting from doing your leg drills and noticing the discrepancies could be a bit of a red herring, as you might find the weaker leg could 'power up' a bit when both legs are clipped in and pedalling.
Quote Reply