Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

US and UK college triathlon teams
Quote | Reply
Hi, I was wondering if someone can recommend me a triathlon team at university that has a great level, means they compete in continental and world cups, mostly ITU triathlons not Ironman competitions.
Quote Reply
Re: US and UK college triathlon teams [villasan96] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how old are you? what are you looking for? why UK and US? can you study in either? what do you want to study? what sort of weather are you looking for? southern california or yorkshire? (leeds works alright for the brownlee's, might not work so well for someone unfamiliar with the weather)

I'll name one - Loughborough, its kinda competitive -http://loughboroughsport.com/triathlon/about-us/
Quote Reply
Re: US and UK college triathlon teams [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im in my final junior year, and Im looking for a competitive level to compete in panamerican and word cups, I have and open mind for the country it has not to be UK or US, and I am more used to a California climate so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what you're after exactly but with regards to the UK please bear in mind that university sports here are very different from university sports in the US. You will find that many universities in the UK have a triathlon *club*, but I don't really know of any that have a triathlon *team* if that means a group of elite or semi-elite level athletes who are actively supported in some way by the university. Forget about sport scholarships in the UK as well, they don't exist here. On the bright side if you're used to a Californian climate then training and competing in the UK would give you a fine opportunity for H'ing the F Up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leeds, Loughborough, Birmingham

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will second Loughborough (also the headquarters of British Triathlon and centre of excellence). Am alumni, coached tri club whilst there before BT appeared and it's also considered the university to go to if sport at an elite level is your thing (swimming, soccer, rugby, athletics, tri etc....). Second to Loughborough would recommend Leeds, Jack Maitland is the coach at the centre of excellence there and aside from being the Brownlee's advisor he is also a friend and coach I have utmost respect for.

Regards

David

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with the exception of perhaps a couple of universities in the UK, and unless you were considering rowing at Oxbridge, sports are handled very differently

UK universities do not offer organised collegiate athletics in the same way the US does, they don't have the facilities, the budgets or the interest, by and large

Irrespective of location though - be it UK or US - grades, academic performance and subject matter should be a consideration when approaching selecting a university - what do you want to do?

language may or may not be a restriction, though if you don't, for example, speak french you probably rule out joining one of their elite pro level teams or moving to a location with a strong swim bike run community - Nice

I am guessing from the two posts that English is not your first language? certainly in the UK, in some instances in Canada written English Language assessments would be required for University - the only reason I know is I have had to in the past look at some submissions
Quote Reply
Re: US and UK college triathlon teams [RobK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob pretty much sums it up on the UK side of things. Here in Oxford there is a club team and although there are not scholarships here for sport in the UK (from my general understanding) there are plenty of past and future Olympians on the "Blues" (top level teams) and club teams here. U23 ITU World Champ Sophia Saller attends Oxford and just finished undergrad and will be starting her DPhil (PhD equivalent) here.

I don't think you are going to find any particular school in the US that has more than 1 triathlete competing at the ITU Professional level. The only one that I can think of, which does offer scholarships, would be University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. If you are a female I *think* their may be other colleges now offering scholarships since it is a collegiate team sport.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: US and UK college triathlon teams [RobK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobK wrote:
I'm not sure what you're after exactly but with regards to the UK please bear in mind that university sports here are very different from university sports in the US. You will find that many universities in the UK have a triathlon *club*, but I don't really know of any that have a triathlon *team* if that means a group of elite or semi-elite level athletes who are actively supported in some way by the university. Forget about sport scholarships in the UK as well, they don't exist here. On the bright side if you're used to a Californian climate then training and competing in the UK would give you a fine opportunity for H'ing the F Up.

https://www.stir.ac.uk/...olarships/triathlon/
Quote Reply
Re: US and UK college triathlon teams [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am corrected. That's interesting, I didn't know such things existed... and I work in a university.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Leeds Triathlon Centre runs squads across the two Universities in Leeds: The University of Leeds and Leeds Beckett University.
There is a lot of information on the website: http://www.leedstriathloncentre.info/
The Development squad consists of students that compete largely in Continental Cups and in U-23 championships as well as the British Universities competitions. There are scholarships available at both Universities for undergraduate and postgraduate students which can include help with fees although more typically at undergraduate level they provide additional support and some cash towards the cost of racing and training.
Quote Reply
Re: US and UK college triathlon teams [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CU Boulder offers scholarships for triathlon? I didn't think that was possible yet, but I could be mistaken. That would definitely explain their complete dominance of US Collegiate triathlon!

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: US and UK college triathlon teams [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. UC Colorado Springs was doing scholarships as part of that Elite Triathlon Academy which appears to have fizzled out. CU-Boulder is just good, and it's become somewhat self-reinforcing at this point.
To answer OP's question, Brad had it right; there are a handful of collegiates racing pro, but very few, so CU is probably the only team where you'd be likely to have more than one or two. Otherwise, choosing a good training environment is ideal to find non-college training partners (Tucson, Boulder, San Diego) as the bulk of your college teammates will be rather new and inexperienced.
A great example of this was Ben Kanute, who raced for U of Arizona, but he also took advantage of the fact that there are loads of other good people to train with in Tucson.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply