Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you train to Run in the Heat
Quote | Reply
Okay - aside from the obvious of going out and running in the heat to gain the fun experience, how can one train properly to avoid trouble with heat?

For reference, I just completed in my first Olympic distance over the weekend with 6 sprints prior to this race (yes new, but got hooked quick). Leading up to the event, I was able to hold 8:30/mi pace for 8 mile distance (outdoors with mixed terrain) - not terribly fast by ST standards, but this is great for me.

The race was going as expected: swim time was within 2 minutes of my expected completion time (I really need to work on swimming straight in open water), bike was within 1 minute of my estimate (I think the chip seal road cost me the time)...

And then the run. HR said I was fine, legs felt okay, but the heat just beat me up. I left T2 with a nice 8:40/mi pace but fell to a 11 min/mi avg to finish out the race.

Is this a lack of training, lack of experience, or environmental? How do others accomplish/deal with the heat?

Training included M-F; morning swims, afternoon runs/bike w/trainer, had fun with 1 spin class a week (due to the schedule, it worked out with kid pickup). Saturdays were bricks: ride for 30-35 miles with a follow up 3 mile run. and used Sunday as a rest day.

Appreciate the feedback.

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Re: How do you train to Run in the Heat [EJ_S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can increase fitness beyond current state and dial it back according to conditions.

Otherwise, train in the heat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They say you have to slow down :30/mi for every 5 deg. F over 60F. They also say you only need 30min/day of low/moderate intensity exercise outdoors (in addition to your regular training) in the heat for 15 days to become acclimated. It also goes away pretty quickly too but being heat acclimated helps you when racing in moderate temperatures as well. If you're planning to race in the heat it's worth giving it a try.
Other things you can do during the race: wear a hat, dump ice in hat, throw ice down your kit etc.. go crazy with ice at every aid station :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Maybe you overestimated your bike performance......not like no one here has ever done that haha
2) HEAT ACCLIMATION! Do it! Wasn't super hot at LPIM this year but several of my buddies blew up on the run due to overheating.
Plus, training in the heat only has positives as shown by this research http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2963322/

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Build fitness in sessions that allow the most quality (ie, not in the heat/hottest part of the day).

Buy a powermeter.

Use a 8-14 day heat acclimation protocol.

Pace according to what the heat allows.

In that order.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, you probably overbiked and that could be as much a factor as the heat. Also, in an Oly fueling is much more critical than in a sprint. Bonking is possible if you don't take in calories.

For running in hot conditions use an HRM. The pace you can hold at the proper HR will feel slow (since you are used to running faster) but it will be the right pace considering the heat.

Also, stay hydrated, inside and out. You can adapt to the heat by training in it, but you can't adapt to dehydration.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: How do you train to Run in the Heat [awestern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok - so what I am hearing is to go get out in the heat, and build up some tolerance.... acclimation process.

Figures.... I really hate the heat. At the start of the run, it was 89 degrees. at the end, 92. the last 2 miles-ish there was virtually no shade due to the course.

Yes the RD did a great job with providing ice/ iced towels and point to refresh the towels, and several aid stations, which I DID utilize to keep cool - so kudos to the RD for the efforts (pre-race meeting - the heat was a hot topic (pun intended) and he pointed out the last 2 miles being shade-free - and stressed using the aid stations as much as possible).

The performance, or lack thereof, was all me. Although I do not think I went too hard on the bike. I shot for a modest 1:15 on the bike. came in at 1:16 and change, watched as people passed and did not try and hang or pace against their effort, just did my thing (as this was my first Oly, and wanted to save something for the run).

And if I am reading the responses correctly - I messed up with the lack of a acclimation period.It sounds like it does not take much over the course of a few weeks to develop some resistance to heat. SO, that will be my go-forward 'inclusion' to my existing training.

hard to get mad at anyone but myself - so taking this as a learning experience and will apply a better recipe for the next race.

And I do really like the distance. I don't think I could compete with the sprinters, just too many guys out there with too much explosive speed. I believe I have a shot at competing at this distance.

I do agree a power meter is needed, and I hope my wife is stalking my posts and sees this in time for my b-day present. (just sayin).

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Re: How do you train to Run in the Heat [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:

In that order.

Can you actually get acclimated to heat/humidity? If you truly can then you should be able to do either of these 2 things. In other words, once you are acclimated you should be able run your "normal" pace. I run all Summer and never seem to acclimate, but my pace is sure affected. My point is... I feel like there's no acclimating to high temps for running. You have to slow down and that's it.

Maybe it's just me....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As everyone else said, train, train, train in the heat. Heat training can actually be easier than training when it's not as hot. I know that sounds crazy but hear me out. If you're training based on HRM you're not really pushing yourself as hard as you might be when it's 60 degrees out because your HR will natually be higher. And you're mostly getting the same workout in. So slow down, and take in a lot of fluids when you're training and you're body will become more acculmated. If you can get over that first wave of "heat" feeling you'll be okay.

Another thing I do during those Olympic races is that I'm grabbing at every single liquid, wet towel, ice, and just pouring it on me at every rest stop. That will help your body stay cooler for longer periods of time. If they have a rag, exchange one at every aid station as you go by. You also might want to think about a hat and keep it wet during the 10k. That'll help some with the heat coming off your head.

Just my thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you train to Run in the Heat [TriWithT1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriWithT1 wrote:
wsrobert wrote:

In that order.

Can you actually get acclimated to heat/humidity? If you truly can then you should be able to do either of these 2 things. In other words, once you are acclimated you should be able run your "normal" pace. I run all Summer and never seem to acclimate, but my pace is sure affected. My point is... I feel like there's no acclimating to high temps for running. You have to slow down and that's it.

Maybe it's just me....

Halfway through the summer down here in Texas and I still die a little each run. I don't think I will ever be fully acclimatized. My pace perpetually suffers, but then once the temps drop it's nice to see the pace drop so drastically.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you train to Run in the Heat [Eyes0fTexas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eyes0fTexas wrote:
TriWithT1 wrote:
wsrobert wrote:

In that order.

Maybe it's just me....

Halfway through the summer down here in Texas and I still die a little each run. I don't think I will ever be fully acclimatized. My pace perpetually suffers, but then once the temps drop it's nice to see the pace drop so drastically.

I am in TX as well, so to answer another person's question - yes I have the means to train in the heat and humidity, I just rather it not be 100 degrees when doing it (which, when balancing work/family/training time, the windows of when I can get outside are limiting. But will make more effort to force a 30 minute window of time outdoors - shooting for 8:30-9 PM should be down into the 90s by then :-)

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Re: How do you train to Run in the Heat [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
They say you have to slow down :30/mi for every 5 deg. F over 60F.

Are you sure you got that one right? Because I die in the heat as much as anyone but I don't slow down that much for even 20° over 60 F, except possibly in a marathon...
Last edited by: JoeO: Jul 28, 15 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: How do you train to Run in the Heat [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
sp1ke wrote:
They say you have to slow down :30/mi for every 5 deg. F over 60F.

Are you sure you got that one right? Because I die in the heat as much as anyone but I don't slow down that much for even 20° over 60 F, except possibly in a marathon...

Yeah, that seems like a big number....I did a half last Sunday that was 80* at the start and I missed my Daniel's VDOT race time by only 30" (ran 7:34's vs 7:30's). No way I was running 2 minutes / mile faster than that if it had been 60*.

That said, I LOVE the heat and it doesn't seem to affect me as much as others.....every tri I have ever done, I try to lose as few placings as possible on the run. Middle of the pack coming out of the water, FOP off the bike, hang on during the run. Only time I have ever improved my placing on the run was Racine in 2012. It was ridiculously hot (low-mid 90's and humid). Everyone else melted and I was able to keep a reasonable (for me) pace the whole time.....actually moved UP 3 places during the run. Last year at Racine, I ran much faster (35" / mile faster), lowered my overall time by 17 min and still lost 7 spots on the run. Temps were only in the mid-70's and people were running strong.

edit - typo

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Last edited by: Power13: Jul 28, 15 12:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy. Treadmill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always train at 8 minute pace, you'll get good at running 8 minute miles, but running at a 7 minute mile pace will be unpleasant.

Always train for 5 miles, you'll get good at running 5 miles, but running 6 miles may prove to be unpleasant.

Always train in 60 degrees, you'll get good at running in 60 degrees - running in 90 degrees will be unpleasant.

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a "long" run in your training week? It could be there, but there's only mention of your longer Saturday ride.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you train to Run in the Heat [Eyes0fTexas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here in Alabama lately. With a family and kids if I train too much in the dead of this heat, I'm more than useless when I get home and then everyone's upset about it.

cf
Quote Reply
Re: How do you train to Run in the Heat [gienopes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gienopes wrote:
Do you have a "long" run in your training week? It could be there, but there's only mention of your longer Saturday ride.

Yes, but it has been either at 6:00 AM (in the upper 70s), or on a treadmill in the afternoons.

By long, I am hitting 7-8 miles, so possibly a short run for some of you, but holding an 8:30 pace.

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heat acclimation is right but 90F is just bloody hot for running.

I think most people are going to be really suffering (and slowing down) at those temperatures. I think you need to use some common sense in your acclimation, I still do almost all of my running early during the Summer. I like the nice hot bike rides although I have to stop occasionally to wipe the sweat off of my sunglasses and get more water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if anything prepares you better than just getting in it and doing it. Sucks, but it's the truth.

I have the option of running at 6AM when it's 78 degrees, but it's 90%+ humidity. Alternatively, I can run at 8PM 90+ degrees, ~50% humidity. Pick your poison!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you train to Run in the Heat [B3CK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B3CK wrote:
I'm not sure if anything prepares you better than just getting in it and doing it. Sucks, but it's the truth.

I have the option of running at 6AM when it's 78 degrees, but it's 90%+ humidity. Alternatively, I can run at 8PM 90+ degrees, ~50% humidity. Pick your poison!

I have the same issue, I suck it up and run at 5:30 pm. Todays weather - 95, humidty 50%, dew point at 70, My route is only partially shaded. The good thing is that when the temp is 90 it feels like a cool day to run.
Here is a pretty good chart for adjusting pace.
Quote Reply