Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
...Also very good at burning down a Forrest.

Depends largely on season and surrounding. In particular cases when I met bears using flare would not cause any forest fire. Also if I feel that my life is in danger chance of forest fire will be the last thing I would care about.
Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
...The flare type matters. Some flares have to be shot and need distance to work...

True. But there are flares, fired from special gun that might do the work just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [kostya416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't necessarily need a special gun, they make 12 gauge flares. You can even get them at Walmart.

Again, I'm not saying they won't work, they're just not my top choice.
Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
summitt wrote:
The suns out and it looks nice. Why are your riding a CT. Get outside.

Oh no, not this conversation!! It might be more controversial than gun control!!

LOL, I had the tour to keep me entertained, and wifey can keep up with me on the computrainer, not so much on the roads!

I too have been good friends with the trainer while the tour has been on.
Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I backpack quite a bit in bear country, brown and black. I've always been taught that if a brown attacks, play dead, if a black attacks, fight like hell.

"If it's brown, lay down, if it's black, fight back."
Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [musicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#blackbearsmatter

musicman wrote:
I backpack quite a bit in bear country, brown and black. I've always been taught that if a brown attacks, play dead, if a black attacks, fight like hell.

"If it's brown, lay down, if it's black, fight back."
Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Average Number of Deaths per Year in the U.S
Bee/Wasp 53 Dogs 31 Spider 6.5 Rattlesnake 5.5 Mountain lion 1 Shark 1 Alligator 0.3 Bear 0.5 Scorpion 0.5 Centipede 0.5 Elephant 0.25 Wolf 0.1 Horse 20 Bull 3

I wonder what sort of confluence of stupid/luck it takes to be killed by a centipede.
Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allergic reaction to a bite is my guess.

Maybe a heart attack from having one of those monsters crawl across your face at night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it counts if you had to hop off the CT. Would have been much more badass if you had fired while still riding.
Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [Mizzouvet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just after I bought a Taurus Judge, I stopped at a Cabela's in West Virginia and noticed they had .45 LC 325g "Bear Load." Not knowing any better (and not knowing at the time that Taurus recommends against shooting high-power rounds through the Judge), I bought a box of 50 and thought, "Huh--this should be fun at the range."

One shot, ripped the target off the holder and let out a report so loud everyone else on the range stopped. Today, I still have that box of "Bear Load" with 49 cartridges in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was mountain biking in the Crested Butte area last Thursday, and when we came into town for lunch, a giant male black bear was up in a tree, just off the main street. It had apparently been there since before 7am, and it was then about 2pm. Tons of people standing around, taking pics. There was a ranger there keeping them from getting too close, and he was just hoping the bear would stay up there until the crowd thinned out.
Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [kostya416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You might be on to something here. Looking back at the original picture you could throw a flare at the gas can next to the garage. The resulting explosion and flames engulfing said garage might just be enough to scare the bear anyway. Judging by the picture I think grabbing the Old Ladies spaghetti pot and banging on it with her rolling pin from the confines of you screened in patio would have been just as effective. Although I do see the fun in popping off a few rounds just for the hell of it. If you really wanted to be a bad ass you could have pissed on it like the IMLP DQ guy. That would make Chuck Norris proud!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
I am not a gun nut

I'd say you are...
Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And you must be a liberal. Bears have to be scared away or they come back. When they find food, they will keep coming back unless you make them leave.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimMoss wrote:
Aust1227 wrote:
I am not a gun nut

I'd say you are...
Because he owns a gun or because he fired it? Even up here in Canada the rate of gun ownership is quite high outside the major cities.
Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the reason it was in town, and up in the tree all day was due to the gxdxxmn tourists from the Front Range and every southern state from TX to Louisiana. Every summer it is the same thing. This one is the worst. Idiots everywhere. The tourists show up, trash the town, ruin the trails, drive like idiots and scare the wildlife.

Had everyone just left the bear alone he would have wandered on his merry way. You do know bears in town will eventually end up dead bears? It is sad and it is the reason you can be fined heavily if your caught not bear proofing your garbage.

mbwallis wrote:
I was mountain biking in the Crested Butte area last Thursday, and when we came into town for lunch, a giant male black bear was up in a tree, just off the main street. It had apparently been there since before 7am, and it was then about 2pm. Tons of people standing around, taking pics. There was a ranger there keeping them from getting too close, and he was just hoping the bear would stay up there until the crowd thinned out.
Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stereotype much? Hey, I'm sure there's some truth to what you say. But we goddamned tourists from TX didn't trash your towns or trails, and the condo we stayed at didn't even have outdoor trash bins of any kind, I guess that was idiot-proofing. Sucks to have a nice state people want to visit, I guess. I hope the state enjoys the money me and my friends dumped there. Warning - we'll be back!
Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you post your training file? I'd like to see your heartrate leading up to, during the actual shots and recovery time post gunshots. Now, THAT would be interesting data.

Quote | Reply
Can you have a bear simulate an attack [bear footage] in your veloreality videos? :p
Quote Reply
Post deleted by shadwell [ In reply to ]
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
I don't think it counts if you had to hop off the CT. Would have been much more badass if you had fired while still riding.

Very true.. But the sliding glass doors, tile floors, screened enclosure, ext don't give me a very safe place to send the bullets!!

How do you think Phil and Paul would have called that action during the tour d'france?

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: I pulled and fired my gun during my bike ride Saturday [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alfalfameister wrote:
Can you have a bear simulate an attack [bear footage] in your veloreality videos? :p

While training with of the videos (forgot which one) I hit the breaks because of a cat jumping onto the road just in front of the camera. That was quite a moment. Luckily we both survived. But fear not, we are doing some filming in Alberta this summer so the chances are high ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crossed paths with a black bear on my ride this morning...on my way out saw the guys garbage was a bit of a mess and knew the cause, on my way in I looked again and "Smokey" looked at me, I looked at him, I moved to the other side of the road, and he ran the other direction away from me...all was good until I realized I didn't look at the other side of the road as I avoided him-could have road right towards his pop...lesson learned, regardlerss we were both surprised to see the other.
Quote Reply

Prev Next