Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Canada in Whistler [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having lived in Whistler for 18 years, and having done my first Ironman back in 1989, i have to say those were some pretty epic conditions. Here are a few photos i took during the race. It ended up getting pretty nice for a while, with a bit of an Ironwar going on for quite some time.

Scott in Whistler
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada in Whistler [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AP
I agree...most of us were unprepared for that bike in terms of weather, but in defense of choices, the day before had similar weather reports and the "showers" were little 5 minute drizzles here and there. Sunday was crazy rain in very cold temps. Even as the swim started we weren't seeing the rain yet, but by the time people began exited it had dramatically changed. Again...our fault, but I don't think anybody would have expected what we experienced in those first several hours. From there it was incredibly tough to recover.

Ironman and Mother Nature chose to remind us all that they really don't care about our fitness levels!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada in Whistler [deechee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deechee wrote:
Wow. I'm not sure if seeing the bear would lighten me up after such a miserable day, or just make me throw in the towel.

My thought would be the latter...weather bad enough, but charging bears? Time for a new sport...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada in Whistler [znerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally wore a singlet and Mavic arm warmers. Core was warm but I am 185-190 and played competetive hockey my whole life and now ski tour, so maybe I am better acclimatized to the cold. That being said, my hands were numb as we're my feet. At one point I thought I broke my carbon sole in my shoe because I had limited sensory feedback and everything felt off.

I came out of the water and accepted a slower bike as I did not want to crash and ruin the day. Also I knew the cold would send a bunch of extra fatigue into my body and I would pay for it on the run.

I executed my swim and run and adjusted my bike and ended up having a PR at my 3RD IM.

Saw two bears, got bluffed my one and hiked up around Whistled yesterday. Venue is top notch. The whole week and event was perfect. I'd do it again.

the suffer, the pain, the reward

R Wolansky
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada in Whistler [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s taken me a week to post my thoughts because the morning after the race I left for a cruise to Alaska with the family. So I’ve purposely been disconnected from the internets to relax and enjoy some quiet time. It’s also given me a week to process perhaps the toughest/scariest race conditions I’ve yet to endure for a 70.3 or 140.6.

I think I have a similar aversion to the cold as Dev, perhaps because we have similar body compositions (though he seems much fitter!) as I’m 5’10” and was about 139 lbs. on race day (about 4 lbs. heavier than I was for my last 70.3 in December). I also have no genetic propensities whatsoever to handling cold weather as I was born and raised in Texas, I’ve lived in Southern California for the past 26 years, and my family’s genes go back over 400 years to the same small village near the equator in India.

With that said, I watched the weather reports daily with fear and trepidation for the week leading up to the race and then every hour in the final days before the race. I packed a good amount of cold weather gear in an abundance of caution and ended up using ALL of it for the bike. So I felt I was well-prepared.

I chose to wear my bike shorts under my wetsuit on the swim, since I figured the water was warmer than the air and I’d get drenched anyway on the bike. Other than that, I changed into the following in T1:

1. Wool socks (kept in a ziplock bag in my T1 bag);
  2. Neoprene booties;
  3. 2XU sleeveless tri top;
  4. Local cycling club jersey and vest;
  5. Lined arm warmers (that I scotch-guarded before the race);
  6. Campy rain jacket that folds up to the size of a Cliff Bar (perhaps the best piece of cycling clothing I’ve ever laid hands on);
  7. Older LG winter “lobster-style” mittens/gloves (also scotch guarded before the race);
  8. Thin wool beanie; and
  9. Giro Advantage 2 aero helmet.
The wool beanie/Giro A2 helmet combo was key, as that helmet has very few holes and my race sticker seemed to cover those it does have. So my head was well protected from the cold and rain. I actually posted earlier on ST about whether to use the A2 or my LG Course helmet since the Whistler bike course is so hilly that perhaps a typical aero helmet might not be optimal. Thankfully, no one actually answered me, so I just went with my gut feeling and chose to pack the A2. If I’d used my Course helmet, which has more ventilation than any other helmet I’ve ever used, my head would have been soaked and cold all day.

The Campy rain jacket was also clutch. It seemed to keep the rain off my body all day, though I can’t say for sure since I was wet to start the bike because my bike gear was soaked in T1 overnight by the rain. BTW, I cannot recommend the Campy rain jacket highly enough for anyone who is forced to ride in the wind, rain, or cold.

Other than my bike gear, the only other thoughts I have to post are:

1. When it started pouring rain mid-way through the swim, I noticed a SUBSTANTIAL drop in water temperature. If that had happened before the swim start I might have gone down with hypothermia on the bike.

2. I really enjoyed the deep water swim start. Treading water in the lake and looking around at the mountains of Whistler was a great way to start a race.

3. The bike course is HARD, though beautiful. I trained extensively all the climbing, as I did several 7-11,000 ft. days of riding throughout the year. That definitely helped save my legs for the run. But even with all that climbing (and about 4k miles of riding so far this year), that bike course still beat be up fairly well. It probably didn’t help that my legs were exposed to the rain and cold the entire ride. Knee warmers would have been key in my T1 bag.

4. The run course was tougher than I expected (this was my third 140.6, so I knew what to expect to some extent). I think I saw somewhere that the run course had 2,000 ft. of climbing. That’s not a lot for an open marathon but, after all the climbing on the bike, there were JUST enough hills to crush me on the run.

5. The run finish through Whistler village with hundreds of spectators lining the course was a great way to finish the day.

6. The volunteers and spectators were phenomenal, especially considering the cold and miserable conditions.

After a 5:08 on a 70.3 race in December, I was hoping to come in around 12 hours at Whistler. But that simply didn’t happen. I’d like to blame having an achilles injury 3 weeks before the race (though the achilles actually held up fine on the race), the cold temps, the wet weather (which slowed me down on the bike), an IT band that decided to go out on me around mile 8 of the run (never had IT band issues in my training – perhaps the cold tightened things up?), and inexplicably forgetting my Garmin on the bike (no GPS, no HR, nothing!), I was happy with a 12:50:xx. Simply put, the Whistler course is TOUGH and my 5:08 on a flatter 70.3 course likely would translate to a 12:50 at Whistler even under much better conditions. But who knows? That’s what’s great about LC triathlons -- you never know; you just have to train to race again another day.

Last edited by: elburrito99: Aug 2, 15 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada in Whistler [elburrito99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elburrito99 wrote:
It’s taken me a week to post my thoughts because the morning after the race I left for a cruise to Alaska with the family. So I’ve purposely been disconnected from the internets to relax and enjoy some quiet time. It’s also given me a week to process perhaps the toughest/scariest race conditions I’ve yet to endure for a 70.3 or 140.6.

I think I have a similar aversion to the cold as Dev, perhaps because we have similar body compositions (though he seems much fitter!) as I’m 5’10” and was about 139 lbs. on race day (about 4 lbs. heavier than I was for my last 70.3 in December). I also have no genetic propensities whatsoever to handling cold weather as I was born and raised in Texas, I’ve lived in Southern California for the past 26 years, and my family’s genes go back over 400 years to the same small village near the equator in India.

With that said, I watched the weather reports daily with fear and trepidation for the week leading up to the race and then every hour in the final days before the race. I packed a good amount of cold weather gear in an abundance of caution and ended up using ALL of it for the bike. So I felt I was well-prepared.

I chose to wear my bike shorts under my wetsuit on the swim, since I figured the water was warmer than the air and I’d get drenched anyway on the bike. Other than that, I changed into the following in T1:

1. Wool socks (kept in a ziplock bag in my T1 bag);
  2. Neoprene booties;
  3. 2XU sleeveless tri top;
  4. Local cycling club jersey and vest;
  5. Lined arm warmers (that I scotch-guarded before the race);
  6. Campy rain jacket that folds up to the size of a Cliff Bar (perhaps the best piece of cycling clothing I’ve ever laid hands on);
  7. Older LG winter “lobster-style” mittens/gloves (also scotch guarded before the race);
  8. Thin wool beanie; and
  9. Giro Advantage 2 aero helmet.
The wool beanie/Giro A2 helmet combo was key, as that helmethas very few holes and my race sticker seemed to cover those it does have. So my head was well protected from the cold and rain. I actually posted earlier on ST about whether to use the A2 or my LG Course helmet since the Whistler bike course is so hilly that perhaps a typical aero helmet might not be optimal. Thankfully, no one actually answered me, so I just with my gut feeling and chose to pack the A2. If I’d used my Course helmet, which has more ventilation than any other helmet I’ve ever used, my head would have been soaked and cold all day.

The Campy rain jacket was also clutch. It seemed to keep the rain off my body all day, though I can’t say for sure since I was wet to start the bike because my bike got soaked in T1 overnight by the rain. BTW, I cannot recommend the Campy rain jacket highly enough for anyone who is forced to ride in the wind, rain, or cold.

Other than my bike gear, the only other thoughts I have to post are:

1. When it started pouring rain mid-way through the swim, I noticed a SUBSTANTIAL drop in water temperature. If that had happened before the swim start I might have gone down with hypothermia on the bike.

2. I really enjoyed the deep water swim start. Treading water in the lake and looking around at the mountains of Whistler was a great way to start a race.

3. The bike course is HARD, though beautiful. I trained extensively all the climbing, as I did several 7-11,000 ft. days of riding throughout the year. That definitely helped save my legs for the run. But even with all that climbing (and about 4k miles of riding so far this year), that bike course still beat be up fairly well. It probably didn’t help that my legs were exposed to the rain and cold the entire ride. Knee warmers would have been key in my T1 bag.

4. The run course was tougher than I expected (this was my third 140.6, so I knew what to expect to some extent). I think I saw somewhere that the run course had 2,000 ft. of climbing. That’s not a lot for an open marathon but, after all the climbing on the bike, there were JUST enough hills to crush me on the run.

5. The run finish through Whistler village with hundreds of spectators lining the course was a great way to finish the day.

6. The volunteers and spectators were phenomenal, especially considering the cold and miserable conditions.

After a 5:08 on a 70.3 race in December, I was hoping to come in around 12 hours at Whistler. But that simply didn’t happen. I’d like to blame having an achilles injury 3 weeks before the race (though the achilles actually held up fine on the race), the cold temps, the wet weather (which slowed me down on the bike), an IT band that decided to go out on me around mile 8 of the run (never had IT band issues in my training – perhaps the cold tightened things up?), and inexplicably forgetting my Garmin on the bike (no GPS, no HR, nothing!), I was happy with a 12:50:xx. Simply put, the Whistler course is TOUGH and my 5:08 on a flatter 70.3 course likely would translate to a 12:50 at Whistler even under much better conditions. But who knows? That’s what’s great about LC triathlons -- you never know; you just have to train to race again another day.

Thanks for your update. I was really kicking myself for not packing the Giro Advantage 2. I made the mistake of only taking my Evade. It's not like I did not know that we were up against rain. That was a bad packing mistake. My toque inside the helmet likely saved my race, but it was soaked through. A skull liner inside an A2 would have been really good with vents all taped up. Live and learn. I will pack both helmets of 70.3 WC in Austria for this reason alone.

I think your volume to surface ratio is "better than mine" for heat but worse than mine for cooling. You have the same mass spread over 5'10". I am only 5'6" so more compact at the same weight so I would in theory get less cold on a day like we had. I was almost 50 min slower between 2014 and 2015, and in the month lead up my fitness was as good (maybe even better....just road 225W NP at Muskoka 70.3 3 weeks out, or 3.6W per kilo on a tough course). So I was not slower because of lack of fitness, it was just slower due to weather and execution issues related to it. I am more than certain you would be a ton faster on last year's weather given your "near equator genetic"....my genetics are more tropic of cancer, although 15 generations of people have lived continuously 10 months per year in 30-40C and super high humidity.

Well done on your race. Thanks for the detail on the run course having 2000 ft of climbing....ouch did not realize it was that tough, but not surprising.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada in Whistler [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev: you may have already been asked this question before, but how would you compare the Penticton run course to the Whistler one, on a more "normal" day?

I'm assuming the bike course is about 15/20 min slower for a 5:30 kinda cyclist

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada in Whistler [elburrito99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been stalking this thread since before the race.

For me, coming from Hawaii and not a fan of inclement weather riding...I suffered huge on the bike. I think we were sort of in denial with the " 1 day storm " looming on the weather apps for many days prior. We did get serious with clothing the day before, but it was kind of too late for much experimentation. Possibly the one item that saved me was a rain shell I got in the expo. Without that, I may have DNF'd. My layering plan helped a lot as well.

As others said, the water temp dropped significantly on the second lap for me, and was shivering in T1. I too thought something was wrong with my bike, as it wobbled due to uncontrollable shivering. I personally can't believe I made it through Callaghan and back through Whistler. My hands and feet were blocks of frozen uselessness.

However, the awesome cheering fans in the cold rain was what really got me through the bike.

Once I got into Pemberton, I actually was hot. But hands and feet were still numb.

This race taught me a lot. My 4th IM, the last 3 I had good weather. So I guess I was due for a tough situation.

In hindsight, I think the main things that made it so unpleasant were (a) frozen hands and feet, and (b) wind chill factor on my wet legs.
I wonder if just a thin layer on the legs would suffice to break the wind chill, such as a pair of pantyhose ? (has anyone tried this, LOL)

As for hands, I was thinking a wearing a pair of nitrile gloves underneath full finger gloves? (like Castelli CW.3.1 Gloves)

I am very glad I toughed it out. It was definitely the hardest race I've done, certainly not the best time but happy I finished.
Quote Reply

Prev Next