Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
my roommate just picked up the suunto triathlon watch and it is fantastic. hr strap works under water. you can even wear it without the watch and it'll upload your hr to your watch when you're on land. i would definitely consider it/the brand for my next watch purchase.

From the website, it seems like it does the same as Garmin new swim hrm? It doesn't look look it's going to give you realtime heart rate like during a run or bike run. It reads to me like it records and upload to watch later? Can your roommate verify if that's the case?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in the day (25 years ago) I had a Casio watch with a HR function. To test your HR, you put your finger on a black section of the watch. Within a couple of seconds, a number would be displayed.

I used it several ways. Generally I'd check my HR after a swim set to ensure I was either going hard enough, or not too hard. I also used it for intervals. I'd pick a % of the displayed HR (say 60% of the 200BPM the watch displayed) and I'd rest after an interval until my HR dropped to that %, then I'd go again. Repeat as necessary. I interpreted that as having recovered enough to go again. As I got fitter, the recovery happened faster so I got less rest, and I could handle a higher workload.

It wasn't perfect, but it had it's benefits, particularly ensuring I didn't go too hard too early in sets.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next