Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Vectors and Temperature changes...
Quote | Reply
First day racing with my garmin vectors today. I calibrated the vectors at 630am when it was 15c outside and by the time I was riding it was 25c outside. The power readings were (best guess) 30-40 watts too low and I ended up over biking... Does temperature screw with vectors and if so, how can I avoid this in the future? Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors and Temperature changes... [TeJa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use to be able to do a dynamic calibration with earlier Vector SW versions by spinning backwards 8 times. I did this coming out of transition. This was removed by Garmin for some reason. Now I am in the same situation as is everyone who uses vectors for racing. That being all calibrations are done between 5-530 AM. Not sure if the vectors along with computer are doing any temp corrections. I looked at the Garmin forums and seems the recommendation is to re calibrate throughout the day for best accuracy....requires unclipping feet. Obviously not a option race day unless your in the penalty tent.
Last edited by: scca_ita: Jul 5, 15 20:43
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors and Temperature changes... [TeJa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vector temperature compensation is good in my experience... I've tested this by calibrating inside then going out in sub-freezing weather and the pedals track properly (against another power meter) through the change.

The backwards pedaling zero offset correction was apparently removed because most people can't pedal backwards smoothly and the end result from that (from a zero offset perspective) was worse than not doing it at all.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors and Temperature changes... [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Vector S calibrates on the fly with spinning backwards 6 revolutions. It zero's out. I thought all the vectors were setup like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors and Temperature changes... [Jefft01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The recent firmware updates to Vectors have eliminated the need to do the backwards pedal calibration.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors and Temperature changes... [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read an online garmin vector pedal review which stated that temp control is built right into the pods. Maybe temp wasn't causing the problem with my power meter issue at Muskoka 70.3 yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors and Temperature changes... [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
The recent firmware updates to Vectors have eliminated the need ability [ARC] to do the backwards pedal calibration.

Good thing, too, IMO.
Quote Reply