Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cruising? I'd figure his threshold to be around 400, so this would be at ~80%. More pertinent, this is at the end of the stage.

also he did pull the train quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
343W is cruising for him. The guys pulling the train would have been double that.
Sorry, that was 1:15:00 not 1 min. I didn't see anyone working harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The most impressive number for me was this one:

Quote:
Sagan (TCS) clocked a speed of 73.33 km/hr to get back into the race

http://www.theguardian.com/...-2015-stage-two-live

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Slick riding by Greipel and FC to slip in. Cav kind of screwed Martin by not sprinting all the way to line and letting FC get third.

No kidding! Ok, so he didn't know it was FC, but still... why is he sitting up? Isn't he interested in the points jersey?

Cavendish answered this question on Twitter:

@MarkCavendish: If I could hang on for 3rd, I could hang on for the win... Some imbeciles think cycling is a computer game. Problem is, social media & TV are platforms for them to be heard. Gutted for @tonymartin85. Congratulations @AndreGreipel.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sorry, that was 1:15:00 not 1 min. I didn't see anyone working harder.

Right?!?! I mean, c'mon... he got the red number to wear tomorrow for a reason. He also lost 15 seconds in the last K after Renshaw took over.
Dude was a horse today.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
a bunch sprint is a team event... Cav is as awesome as ever, or perhaps he's "lost a step", but that's not why he didn't win today.

Exactly, a combination of factors meant he didn't win. If you watch the last 2 km you see that coming into 1km to go Cav and Renshaw are isolated about 6-7 wheels back. Renshaw surges from about 700 to go up the left with Cav on his wheel, then starts his lead out from about 550-600 when he hits the front, Cav starts his sprint at around 250 to go. Way too early when the race is in the gutter from cross winds and he hasn't been able to sit in all day. So a number of things culminated in him getting rolled in the sprint: the tough conditions, Renshaw/Cav losing the rest of the train, Renshaw being poorly placed and having to start his leadout too early, Cav starting his sprint too early.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [mvogt46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greipel is the most underrated sprinter in the peloton, but not by Cavendish.
Cav had the guerilla on his wheel, but when he saw Gallopin starting to come around Renshaw on his right, he went full gas the left.
Greipel didn't screw up, stuck to Cav's wheel, and used him as a leadout.
Game over.

Great riding by Greipel, nice try by Cav, who may well have lost a step... but showed absolutely no evidence of it today.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
a bunch sprint is a team event...

Or a solo event. (Greipel, Sagan).
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@MarkCavendish: If I could hang on for 3rd, I could hang on for the win... Some imbeciles think cycling is a computer game. Problem is, social media & TV are platforms for them to be heard. Gutted for @tonymartin85. Congratulations @AndreGreipel.

Of course he didn't know FC was the guy passing him, but denying that he sat up makes him look like a wanker in denial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
343W is cruising for him. The guys pulling the train would have been double that.

LOL at people who have no concept of power, 600-700w for over an hour.....
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [tom1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tom1111 wrote:
rruff wrote:

You think rruff has no concept of power? He is talking about guys taking pulls at the front.

http://sportsscientists.com/...from-the-outside-in/

These are some average numbers from 15 non-GC contenders on flat and mountain stages. Takes some pulling at the front of a tour peloton..

And here are some maximum numbers from same sample.

Last edited by: knighty76: Jul 6, 15 2:23
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Why does it seam that the Specialized rides are all getting flats?

All on turbo cottons?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
tom1111 wrote:
rruff wrote:

You think rruff has no concept of power? He is talking about guys taking pulls at the front.

http://sportsscientists.com/...from-the-outside-in/

These are some average numbers from 15 non-GC contenders on flat and mountain stages. Takes some pulling at the front of a tour peloton..

You're really backing me up, the original post was AVERAGE power for one hour and 15 minutes of 343W, no one is doing double that for the same time period. His average heart rate was 170, so I'm guessing it wasn't an "easy ride"
Last edited by: tom1111: Jul 6, 15 2:43
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:

The most impressive number for me was this one:

Quote:
Sagan (TCS) clocked a speed of 73.33 km/hr to get back into the race

http://www.theguardian.com/...-2015-stage-two-live

I'll just quote this because I don't want it to go unnoticed. I wonder what kind of a toll that took...seeing that he only lost by a few inches AND he spun his rear wheel out on the last 2 pedal strokes before the line.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [tom1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one poster corrected to 1 hr 15 min, ruff was answering 1min 15 sec. ruff is on of those who knows quite a bit about cycling on this board.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [kollac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of that was him drafting behind the team cars so probably only doing 150 watts :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one poster corrected to 1 hr 15 min, ruff was answering 1min 15 sec.

Yes, I was thinking of the guys setting up the final sprint. They'd be in the 700W range.

But 343W AP isn't that amazing for an hour either, not for a top world tour pro. I assume he was taking a lot of pulls though, so his NP would have been a lot higher.

Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [kollac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looked to me like Sagan had it, even with all the work to get back in the race, but for that wheel spinning at the end. In addition to talent, youth and training - the other thing the pro's have that I don't (Sagan more than many) is the ability to calmly hydroplane while going all out for the line. If you watch the replay closely you can see him accommodate the rear end going all over the place while still trying to throw down power and toss his bike at the line.

Another bike handling clinic by Sagan, however another example of perhaps a tactical error by allowing himself to get pushed on the painted line in the wet. He may not have had any other choice at that point with the gorilla in front of him, but perhaps he could have gotten all the way to the other side of the line to avoid slipping? Race of mm at that point - going that far over may have cost him the same as the slip.

In any event, love that the commentators failed to notice or mention the slipping even after multiple slow motion replays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
The one poster corrected to 1 hr 15 min, ruff was answering 1min 15 sec.

Yes, I was thinking of the guys setting up the final sprint. They'd be in the 700W range.

But 343W AP isn't that amazing for an hour either, not for a top world tour pro. I assume he was taking a lot of pulls though, so his NP would have been a lot higher.

Yeah fair enough, 1min would be higher for sure, plenty of spikes in the 500-600w range, so yeah the NP would be fairly high, definitely not what you want on the second stage.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 2 Theead - Spoilers [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering why they failed to address that at all in the broadcast. All I was thinking is that all this "10% stiffer here and 15% improvement in lateral that" mumbo jumbo makes absolutely not a lick of difference for me (with 28mm tires on my go to bike) - but for a world tour sprinter/puncheur it may be the difference between 1st and second. His bike looked like was flexing like a cooked piece of pasta. I couldn't bend a frame like that if I jumped on it while it's lying on its side :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next