Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

400 mile shorts and running in IM
Quote | Reply
How many of you folks (men may be more relevant) S/B/R a full IM distance race in these shorts? Am strongly considering purchasing them, but want to know if the marathon is feasible with them. Or if the padding might be too thick.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 400 mile shorts and running in IM [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I love 400 mile shorts on the road bike, for me they have too much pad for the TT bike. I could run in them if I had to but I can run in anything and they wouldn't be my 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice of what to wear for running

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear them for every training ride but would not run in them. They are the best on the bike, then change into your favorite run shorts in T2!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run a few miles in them on a training brick. They were a little awkward at first, but within a mile I didn't notice them. They don't really impede your motion. They might look a little goofy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
How many of you folks (men may be more relevant) S/B/R a full IM distance race in these shorts? Am strongly considering purchasing them, but want to know if the marathon is feasible with them. Or if the padding might be too thick.

Thanks.

Like someone else said, consider changing into other shorts in T2. Will take you 5-6 extra seconds. Have fresh shorts for the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last IM I wore them over my light Garneau shorts which only have a thin strip of felt for a chamois and had no issues...I wore them both under my wetsuit...peeled off the wetsuit in T1 for the bike then peeled off the 400 mile shorts in T2 for the run. Layering for comfort and speed baby!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto riviera has a little less padding and could be an option for full IM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seconded on Winchester's rec. Race in the Riviera tri bibs and love them. Pad is just right.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are great for training.

I tried a long run in them once, they felt a bit funny, and they chafed, but if you use enough cream that part might be fine.

Personally I'm more comfortable in a tri short with a thin chamois these days though even on normal rides, let alone running :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't use bike shorts for biking let alone running so that would be a no go for me. Especially in the TT position.

I find the less is more philosophy at play here. I've had my most comfortable IM bike rides wearing just the thin chamois. I did my first IM wearing the 400 milers on the bike and I was miserable. Did my next two wearing Desoto Rivieras... a little better. Then it was two with the Pearl Izumi Octane, and one with the Fusion Sports Speedsuit.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 400 mile shorts and running in IM [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
Like someone else said, consider changing into other shorts in T2. Will take you 5-6 extra seconds. Have fresh shorts for the run.

6 second bib change without flashing the world?

Youtube video requested
Quote Reply
Re: 400 mile shorts and running in IM [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, everyone for the replies. Very helpful. I'm also going to call DeSoto this week to chat with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i train in the 400 mile shorts and race in the forza tri shorts. never had a problem in an im!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto riviera has a little less padding and could be an option for full IM
---------
This and calling DS is a smart move, great customer service.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: 400 mile shorts and running in IM [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:

6 second bib change without flashing the world?

Youtube video requested

It's not that hard...and that's a reason why there are change tents for IM...some people change clothes. I did a complete change in T2 at IMAZ last year and was in/out in 90 seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Emilio here. I am available by email this week as I am out of the country. Happy to answer any questions for you but I will admit most who posted are pretty accurate.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: 400 mile shorts and running in IM [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forza seems to be the racing favs
Quote Reply