Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone notice Look has a new TT bike?
Quote | Reply
The look 796

Integrated front end and some funky crank that allows you to adjust the crank length at the pedal.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone notice Look has a new TT bike? [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That paint job is obnoxious as hell and I love the hell out of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone notice Look has a new TT bike? [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:

I can't even see the general outlines of the frame because of how busy that paint job is. Makes me dizzy. I wonder when American Classic started making 3 spoke wheels, I never noticed...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone notice Look has a new TT bike? [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That paint job is probably a prototype camouflage. Not the real paint job
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
Integrated front end and some funky crank that allows you to adjust the crank length at the pedal.

Sounds like every Look road and TT bike made in the last few years. Their ZED crank has been around for a while, and integrated fronts too.

But you're right that this is a new frame, with probably an updated version of the crank.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone notice Look has a new TT bike? [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessartype wrote:
PeteDin206 wrote:

Sounds like every Look road and TT bike made in the last few years. Their ZED crank has been around for a while, and integrated fronts too.

But you're right that this is a new frame, with probably an updated version of the crank.

Yeah I realized the crank is normal for them. But this is their first fully integrated front end (ie brakes included).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
tessartype wrote:
PeteDin206 wrote:

Yeah I realized the crank is normal for them. But this is their first fully integrated front end (ie brakes included).

Nope. 795 Aerolight.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone notice Look has a new TT bike? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which is in he same release series and not a TT bike. The 796 and 795 were both designed last year but deemed that the market wasn't right for their release yet according to the article.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. 795 was designed, produced and ridden before the 796.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are those.... vertical dropouts?!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone notice Look has a new TT bike? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They make too much money off their track specific frames Imo to make a tri bike with horizontal dropouts. I'll wait for a nice used one hopefully. L96 frameset is still selling for 12k which is basically a faired 496. And is very popular still on the velodrome. Looking for a 396 if anyone knows one for sale.

Thanks
Last edited by: Looks: Jul 8, 15 20:30
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone notice Look has a new TT bike? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anybody need to tension the chain with a rear derailleur ? Because that's what horizontal dropouts are for ;-) !

Seriously, there is no reason for horizontal dropouts on a TT bike, it adds weight and complicate something that does not have to be complicated. With a well designed seat tube the tire has to be almost a centimeter away from the seat tube before aero is ever so slightly compromized so if you design the frame with vertical dropout so that a 23mm tire rolls at let's say 5mm from the back of seat tube, then a 25mm will be at around 3mm and a 21mm tire will be at 7mm and aero will be ok in all cases. The time when people thought the rear tire has to rub (or almost rub) the paint of the seat tube is over (so I hope). 99% TT bikes users will use tires from 21mm to 25mm so I think vertical dropouts are best for TT bike application, again IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone notice Look has a new TT bike? [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
Does anybody need to tension the chain with a rear derailleur ? Because that's what horizontal dropouts are for ;-) !

Seriously, there is no reason for horizontal dropouts on a TT bike, it adds weight and complicate something that does not have to be complicated. With a well designed seat tube the tire has to be almost a centimeter away from the seat tube before aero is ever so slightly compromized so if you design the frame with vertical dropout so that a 23mm tire rolls at let's say 5mm from the back of seat tube, then a 25mm will be at around 3mm and a 21mm tire will be at 7mm and aero will be ok in all cases. The time when people thought the rear tire has to rub (or almost rub) the paint of the seat tube is over (so I hope). 99% TT bikes users will use tires from 21mm to 25mm so I think vertical dropouts are best for TT bike application, again IMHO.

If you are willing to compromise, you are right, vertical dropouts are acceptable. 3mm tire clearance however is not ISO/EN compliant so these bikes could not be sold in Europe with 25mm tires. Even 23mm with only 5mm of clearance is a no-go in Australia.

If you aren't willing to compromise aero performance and you want to remain CPSC, EN, ISO, JIS, etc, etc, etc compliant then horizontal dropouts solve these issues.

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone notice Look has a new TT bike? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the discussion on vertical vs horizontal dropouts was interesting. I saw your post about 3 mm etc...not being ISO/EN acceptable (which rules seems to cover most of Europe and some other countries) and looked it up. I found an acceptation to the rule for "Competition Bikes" and figured TRI/TT specific bike were designed for competition. Is there another citation or am I looking at it incorrectly? I did not see any restriction in the US "Consumer Protection Regulations". Is there another regulation for the US that addresses the gap rules for tire/seatpost distance?

Thank you.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone notice Look has a new TT bike? [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
I thought the discussion on vertical vs horizontal dropouts was interesting. I saw your post about 3 mm etc...not being ISO/EN acceptable (which rules seems to cover most of Europe and some other countries) and looked it up. I found an acceptation to the rule for "Competition Bikes" and figured TRI/TT specific bike were designed for competition. Is there another citation or am I looking at it incorrectly? I did not see any restriction in the US "Consumer Protection Regulations". Is there another regulation for the US that addresses the gap rules for tire/seatpost distance?

Thank you.

It's legal suicide to label bikes for competition use only I think. The only exception we've had is track bikes which are so obviously not designed for "public consumption on public roadways" yet we still include a dozen warning stickers and manuals to inform people they cannot ride them on the street and that they are intended for "competition use on the velodrome only, sorry hipsters".
CEN and CPSC are starting the slow-merge started a few years ago.
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/...tandard#.VaRY5_mvjsY

More on ISO:
http://www.iso.org/...ICS1=43&ICS2=150
http://www.bike-eu.com/...-final-stage-1018828
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/...-manual#.VaRY4vmvjsY

Ok maybe the hipster part was left off...

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone notice Look has a new TT bike? [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:

With all those zeros, it's probably a pricetag, not a paintjob.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone notice Look has a new TT bike? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I would pay for one of these. Stem doesn't look adjustable like a 496/596. Almost done with mine. Will post
Last edited by: Looks: Aug 27, 15 22:05
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone notice Look has a new TT bike? [Looks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks, late answer to your message here but I think you will find the 796 is quite adjustable too (140mm pad stack adjustement / 65mm pad reach adjustment per frame size)...

More details here : LOOK 796 White Paper
Quote Reply