Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Los Cabos- No aerobars?
Quote | Reply
Quick question for those in the know on IM Los Cabos-

Chatting with someone today who mentioned that they are not allowing aerobars that are unbridged and/or extend past the shifters at this years IM Los Cabos? Basically ITU rules. They also mentioned that you could use aerobars and accept a five minute penalty. Apparently might also effect Cozumel?

Seems very strange and couldn't find anything online, but read it in an email sent to a registered participant.

Thoughts? Anyone with better Google skills that I that can find something?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos- No aerobars? [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if it's ITU type rules across the board, IE no non standard frames for AG etc? That would be a shame, if it is true it sounds like the Mexican TriFed is adopting a different subset of rules and WTC is being forced to comply.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Jul 3, 15 22:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will participate in the Ironman Los Cabos this year. I got no Email with such information!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos- No aerobars? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
I wonder if it's ITU type rules across the board, IE no non standard frames for AG etc? That would be a shame, if it is true it sounds like the Mexican TriFed is adopting a different subset of rules and WTC is being forced to comply.

Maurice

If that is the case I am sure WTC will apply pressure on the Mexican Tri Fed guys....as soon as registrations suffer because of this and WTC threatens to pull their races in the future, the federation will buckle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like unsubstantiated rumint = bullshit. Unless IM is going draft legal I wouldn't give any credence to rumors that can't be tied to an official announcement. Meanwhile, a friend of a friend told me that WTC is adopting the pro 68 degree wetsuit rule for all age groupers in 2016.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Quick question for those in the know on IM Los Cabos-

Chatting with someone today who mentioned that they are not allowing aerobars that are unbridged and/or extend past the shifters at this years IM Los Cabos? Basically ITU rules. They also mentioned that you could use aerobars and accept a five minute penalty. Apparently might also effect Cozumel?

Seems very strange and couldn't find anything online, but read it in an email sent to a registered participant.

Thoughts? Anyone with better Google skills that I that can find something?

I think your friend overheard some bad information. That rule is an ITU draft legal rule for Elites, U23, Junior and Youth races. Draft legal AG doesn't even allow clip ons. Draft illegal (aka Ironman) the rule states

"Only handlebars and clip-on bars not extending beyond the leading edge of the front wheel will be permitted. Clip-on bars in two pieces do not need to be bridged. All tube ends have to be plugged."

Unless the Mexican tri federation is making up it's own rules it's simply miscommunication....

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think you have bad information. those are our rules for our draft legal races. since IM is not draft legal then those rules don't apply. additionally, i have raced a number of draft legal races under these rules and all you have to do is maguyver your bars and a connecting bars and you're good to go. HOWEVER, again, these are only for our draft legal races. since IM Los Cabos is not draft legal those rules will not apply. you can look at our FMTRI regulations if you speack Spanish and you will see that information.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos- No aerobars? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll pass the info along. I had a feeling he might have been misinformed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that's good about the aero bars but the question re: whether non double diamond frames
like Dimond and Falco will be allowed is has still been unanswered. I'm racing up in Canada
and there's a couple of Olympic and Half Ironman races I ended up not entering because
of the enforcement of the new ITU rules that some provinces are inforcing.
If someone can answer this with regards to IM Loc Cabos it would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos- No aerobars? [MadDaWg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadDaWg wrote:
Well that's good about the aero bars but the question re: whether non double diamond frames
like Dimond and Falco will be allowed is has still been unanswered. I'm racing up in Canada
and there's a couple of Olympic and Half Ironman races I ended up not entering because
of the enforcement of the new ITU rules that some provinces are inforcing.
If someone can answer this with regards to IM Loc Cabos it would be greatly appreciated.

who have you contacted so far with your question?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im in Mexico city, spoke to the organizer today. Aerobars are allowed.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos- No aerobars? [roquecalleja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also I was confirmed its highly probable that wetsuit will be allowed and thats the intention. They will annonuce the day before the race but dont know why everyone in this forum is taking into account its not wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos- No aerobars? [roquecalleja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The average water temperature at Punta Palmilla in late October is around 80F. I did see something from the race organizers saying that there was a good chance it would be wetsuit-legal. I'm not sure if they will need to search for a temperature reading to make it wetsuit-legal, or if they actually expect it to be cool enough.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos- No aerobars? [FLYBOYMATTHEW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today water is 30c
Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos- No aerobars? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos- No aerobars? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not the expert but it was most definitely 68 on the one day at Clermont that I did an ITU draft legal race. I just assumed that pros had the same cutoff.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos- No aerobars? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos- No aerobars? [FLYBOYMATTHEW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have rarely known race directors to be bothered by things such as real water temp measurements when it comes to determining if a large AG race is wetsuit legal or not. When pros comes into the picture its a different story but the reality is that allowing wetsuits, even when they should be banned, is usually a much more popular decision than banning them. There is also a safety argument to be made for allowing wetsuits if swimmers want to wear them which must be attractive to RDs of destination/holiday races who are expecting a higher than usual percentage of under-prepared athletes.
Quote Reply