Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can Contador Pull off the "triple" [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Catching up on sport scores....so Contador gets a 1.28 gift on account of North Seas winds, and I see Venus and Serena will be playing at center court on Monday. Serena has to beat big sister Venus or the bid for the grand slam gets killed. That's on par with Lemond trying to derail Hinault's Giro-Tour-WC triple during the 1985 Tour de France....I believe this pic is actually in 86 when Hinault tried to derail Lemond's win:

Quote Reply
Re: Can Contador Pull off the "triple" [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
so Contador gets a 1.28 gift on account of North Seas winds

Gift? Skill, teamwork, and possibly doping. Not a gift.
Quote Reply
Re: Can Contador Pull off the "triple" [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
If today is an indication, Contador will have a very hard time beating Quintana.

What difference a day makes.
Quote Reply
Re: Can Contador Pull off the "triple" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
so Contador gets a 1.28 gift on account of North Seas winds

Gift? Skill, teamwork, and possibly doping. Not a gift.

Definitely skill and teammwork and everyone knew that Seeland stage would potentially partition the riders. Were Movistar and Astana sleeping at the wheel? As for the doping part, I guess at this point, I'm watching it the same way I watch the NFL or I have nothing to watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

He is an asshole doper.

I have been thinking that I like listening to CVV ... but then I remember he is also a doper.

They all ought to have to wear a red shirt that says "Im an asshole"

I am still watching the race... but he and the rest of the dopers really took a significant amount of pleasure out of it for me.

It is bad enough they screwed up cycling. But it sucks that it leaks over into Triathlon.

I subscribe to the 1 drop rule (as applied to doping). There is no going back.

Checkout http://www.iotexpert.com
Quote Reply
Re: Can Contador Pull off the "triple" [alanhawse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a look at Eddy Merckx's history of doping. If EPO was around in Eddy's time, I'll take a wild guess and say the riders of his time would have tried it too. I am not supporting doping, I am just saying that if you have watched cycling since like 1905, you have watched doped cycling. You're just watching different Octane levels of an enhanced pro sport.

When the Tour de Ski came out with these short stages that 12 year old kids can complete daily, I kind of scoffed at how ridiculously easy those short races are compared to cycling. But you can see going back to the early days of the Tour, why cyclists sought all kind of enhancements in a crazy freak show just to survive the grind, just like guys do in the NFL. Once you ban teams and management for doping positives, only then will you get to watch a clean show. Until then, we're just watching entertainment and like holding on an NFL line or staking steroids to be a 330 lbs lineman, we will see riders doing whatever they can to survive the grind and stay 1% below the detection threshold. When I view these, sports, that is how I am viewing this fairy tail competition. Hinault, Merckx, Fignon....none of these guys were saints. Outrage against the riders is a bit misplaced....shit on the team management who do everything to stay 0.0001 percent below the detection radar because no sponsor pays for clean NFL teams that lose every game....it's the same in cycling. Only when you can have your entire team kicked out of the NFL or the Protour for a doping infraction will we see less of a fairytale on the tarmac or astroturf.

The fact that it spills over to triathlon certainly sucks. But if I worry about that I won't watch the Tour de France, Track, Swimming or any other elite sport. I know I am getting beaten by enough dopers, course cutters, drafters etc to not let it get to me.

As for the original topic of this thread, Contador looks like he has less snap in his legs, but did OK over a sustained period during the prologue. Three weeks in when everyone has fried legs, and they are doing Alpe d'Huez, if he can hang on during the first 4 switchbacks, he can hang on to the top. The problem is that he needs to actually make time on Froome , Nibali and Quintana and that's going to be tough. Quintana gets the stages on Plateau de Belle and Alpe d'Huez and loses too much time on other stuff (like he already has, including the TTT). Froome should also gain time in the TTT. Nibali rides for Astana, so it is what it is. Whatever happens should be fun to watch and hopefully none of these guys crash out...that would be a shame.

Francois....Serena faces Sharapova on Thursday in the semis at Wimbledon. Still on track for the non calendar grand slam....let's see what happens.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's still a few slams behind Graf, and also Graf has a calendar slam, with an olympic gold the same year ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
She's still a few slams behind Graf, and also Graf has a calendar slam, with an olympic gold the same year ;-)

Serena through to Wimbledon finals in straight sets!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was expecting a post... ;-)
She'll be at 21 wins in GS if she takes it Saturday. One short of Graf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I was expecting a post... ;-)
She'll be at 21 wins in GS if she takes it Saturday. One short of Graf.

LOL....better than obsessing about the fires in Whistler. Both Graf and Serena amazing athletes. If she does pull off Wimbledon, hell will break lose before Flushing Meadows...forget about the Contador thread!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JUST came back for an 8 hour training day at Epicman Tremblant (80 min swim -6:05 bike - 40 min run) so just checked the sports scores.....SERENA for multi year grand slam!!!On to Flushing Meadows!

Now let's see what shakes out at the Tinkoff vs Sky smackdown in the TTT....how much time does Quintana and Movistar give away?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great match by Serena. Now I'm pulling for Fed to take #18. If he plays like he did yesterday, he is unbeatable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow should be a good day for TV viewing and starting an IM Whistler taper.....TdF TTT and Wimbledon finals on deck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Have a look at Eddy Merckx's history of doping. If EPO was around in Eddy's time, I'll take a wild guess and say the riders of his time would have tried it too. I am not supporting doping, I am just saying that if you have watched cycling since like 1905, you have watched doped cycling. You're just watching different Octane levels of an enhanced pro sport.

When the Tour de Ski came out with these short stages that 12 year old kids can complete daily, I kind of scoffed at how ridiculously easy those short races are compared to cycling. But you can see going back to the early days of the Tour, why cyclists sought all kind of enhancements in a crazy freak show just to survive the grind, just like guys do in the NFL. Once you ban teams and management for doping positives, only then will you get to watch a clean show. Until then, we're just watching entertainment and like holding on an NFL line or staking steroids to be a 330 lbs lineman, we will see riders doing whatever they can to survive the grind and stay 1% below the detection threshold. When I view these, sports, that is how I am viewing this fairy tail competition. Hinault, Merckx, Fignon....none of these guys were saints. Outrage against the riders is a bit misplaced....shit on the team management who do everything to stay 0.0001 percent below the detection radar because no sponsor pays for clean NFL teams that lose every game....it's the same in cycling. Only when you can have your entire team kicked out of the NFL or the Protour for a doping infraction will we see less of a fairytale on the tarmac or astroturf.

The fact that it spills over to triathlon certainly sucks. But if I worry about that I won't watch the Tour de France, Track, Swimming or any other elite sport. I know I am getting beaten by enough dopers, course cutters, drafters etc to not let it get to me.

As for the original topic of this thread, Contador looks like he has less snap in his legs, but did OK over a sustained period during the prologue. Three weeks in when everyone has fried legs, and they are doing Alpe d'Huez, if he can hang on during the first 4 switchbacks, he can hang on to the top. The problem is that he needs to actually make time on Froome , Nibali and Quintana and that's going to be tough. Quintana gets the stages on Plateau de Belle and Alpe d'Huez and loses too much time on other stuff (like he already has, including the TTT). Froome should also gain time in the TTT. Nibali rides for Astana, so it is what it is. Whatever happens should be fun to watch and hopefully none of these guys crash out...that would be a shame.

Francois....Serena faces Sharapova on Thursday in the semis at Wimbledon. Still on track for the non calendar grand slam....let's see what happens.

Dev

Well said. I'm at a point where it is what it is. I just do my best at this point to educate young kids I work with and up and comers about the effects and downside of doping. As for the making people wear a "scarlet letter"...ridiculous. I understand being upset and frustrated with people profiting and to a certain extent glamourizing (sp?) it but to continue to hold some form of angst and anger is just wasted energy. I enjoy it for the entertainment value. a friend of mine and I were out riding today talking about this very thing. Is the world ready for cycling to "come back" or "regress" 10-15% in speed and intensity? I highly doubt it cause sponsors aren't interested in a peloton going slower or riders falling apart. the system is a very corrupt system but to level all the blame on the riders is to me a somewhat misplaced.

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Quote Reply

Prev Next