Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMCdA - RR - Stuck to my plan and KQ'd [mdub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@mdub

Thanks!

Congrats on your finish on a tough day! You definitely had an ambitious goal for the marathon - I think you had the right idea making adjustments on the fly by keeping your HR at or below 150 bpm (I did something similar, since racing in 101+ temperatures was a bit of an unknown for me).

Also, I saw about your weight loss story from your blog - super cool to see that!

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IMCdA - RR - Stuck to my plan and KQ'd [jdee3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@jdee3

Thanks!

Your 9:54 on a tough day at CdA is a very good execution (actually looking at your splits, that's what I was trying to do almost exactly, but didn't).

In light of your race execution, not getting the KQ does sting, since even if the journey/process is a positive one, we tend to be somewhat binary as far as KQ/no KQ.

I have been there - missed a slot at IMNZ this March by about 100m at the finish - it does sound like you have a good attitude about it and you'll get back over to the Big Island again (Whistler is still open - you've got the fitness - could always just sign up and crush it there in three weeks!)

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IMCdA - RR - Stuck to my plan and KQ'd [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How funny/painful was it at the no passing zone?! I was stuck behind an older guy and we were creeping, but you've just got to laugh and relax since everyone is in the same boat (or bridge).

Twitter: @callummillward | YouTube Channel |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Yeah, trust me, I went through the whole process of trying to jump back into another IM to qualify. Truth is, it doesnt fit with life and this season has been tough w 2 little ones. I actually debated not taking if I got it. But, not getting it at all just messes with the mind. I'm happy with a podium a rough day and know I left it all out there...can't ask for more. I went to Kona last year. I will always cherish it and hope to go back again someday.
100m is rough! I feel your pain! Enjoy the journey and good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: IMCdA - RR - Stuck to my plan and KQ'd [callummillward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brutal! I thought I had made it without getting stuck and then the last one coming back to town...wham! Got stuck behind someone finishing their 1st loop and literally spinning their legs. My clock has me in there for 1:45. Oh well, as you said, we all had to deal with it! awesome, awesome race, Cal...congrats!
Quote Reply
Re: IMCdA - RR - Stuck to my plan and KQ'd [callummillward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
callummillward wrote:
How funny/painful was it at the no passing zone?! I was stuck behind an older guy and we were creeping, but you've just got to laugh and relax since everyone is in the same boat (or bridge).

Hehehehe. Both funny and painful.... I got stuck on the second lap and did the same.

It reminds me of the section of chipseal on the IMNZ course about 5k from the turnaround at Reporoa (I know most of the roads are chipseal, but this is CHIPSEAL - I swear someone at roadsworks hates IM, since this short section gets re-sealed about 2 weeks prior to the race each each year). You know it's coming and you get to deal with it 4x, and there ain't nothing you can do but smile.

P.S. Congrats on a great performance!! (and you thought ovens were just for baking cc's)

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Last edited by: owtbac86: Jul 8, 15 9:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happened to me on the second loop as well at the bridge after a guy put in a Cavendish sprint, starting at the No Pass sign, to get in front of a first-loop rider. DB move for sure. I was 'stuck' behind the rider and she was apologizing. I told her not to worry and ride her own pace. I can only imagine how nervous/uncomfortable she felt in a tiny lane, some wind and 7-8 highly-competitive athletes stacked up behind her. It let me gather my wits a bit and mentally prepare for the death march to come!
Quote Reply

Prev Next