Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 520 [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Puma,

It's a DIY coat hanger and ductape under the bar tape mod. I got the idea from the below thread. It took about 20-30 minutes all I used was a leatherman to cut the hanger and then bend around the provided garmin mount, then I did the bends against my wooden chair that I was sitting in and manipulated it to where the metal bars would be right next to my cable routing under the shifter bars and have the unit sit just above and between my thumbs. The most tricky part for me was the rubber bands. You have to attach one rubber band at 9 and 3 oclock on the hanger loop like you would do a rubber band on a pullup bar where you wrap it around the bar and pull it through itself. Then when you have them both in place, put the mount in and wrap the bands around the little band hooks and they pull on each other and keep it nice and snug. I was able to reuse my bartape as the coat hanger fit snug against the cable routing...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#3690537
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [stayaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stayaero wrote:
I talked to Strava and they told me that it will not include the extended out-front mount.

Thank you for contacting Strava and for your question. I had to confirm with our Commerce support team and the 520 we sell will not include the extra extended mount, just the standard bar mount.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Best,
Strava Support Team

I just wanted to mention that I got the 520 from Strava and it did come with both mounts: standard 1/4turn and the out-front mount. Also, their 3-5 delay is pessimistic. Mine shipped within a few days of placing the order.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [metcalf34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone loaded better maps per DCRainmaker? I am interested in the navigation features and whether or not it will give "turn-by-turn" directions.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [ibetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loaded the maps with no problem. It does give turn-by-turn. I downloaded tcx files from RideWithGps. My file was missing some Cue Sheet entries though. Not a fault of the 520. Problem that I see with the navigation is that you have to constantly watch the screen for directions or otherwise miss something (no voice commands). But it works.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [bozo3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a navigation function other than navigating on the fly to a specific point that the 520 does not have when compared to the 810?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update on using QOM with the 520:
Default shows someone you follow, of either gender, with a close time. It will skip over QOM if you don't follow her.
You can set a goal for each segment, and that will then show preferentially.
But if you want to see QOM, you need to wait until the segment is announced, hit top right button twice, down button, top right, scroll to QOM, top right. IOW, it is useless for QOM, because by this time the segment has started, and you've lost too much momentum. Disappointing.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
Default shows someone you follow, of either gender, with a close time. It will skip over QOM if you don't follow her.
But if you want to see QOM, you need to wait until the segment is announced, hit top right button twice, down button, top right, scroll to QOM, top right. IOW, it is useless for QOM, because by this time the segment has started, and you've lost too much momentum. Disappointing.

That's really disappointing.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
Ironma'am wrote:

That's really disappointing.

Couldn't you set a goal for that segment? And wouldn't it then use that as the 'bogey' you're gunning for?

But yes - this sucks.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:

Have they fixed this? BC this isn't how it works on the 1000. Assuming I star a segment, I have access to some combination of a) my PR b) the friend I follow who has the closest time to my PR but is faster than my PR, when/where applicable and c) the KOM. The appearance of these and default options I haven't quite figured out as far as the programming logic, but I have a couple arrows at the top left and right that allow me to scroll easily across a / b / c...the 520 sounds pretty terrible in comparison
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the 1000 a touch screen? Apparently the touch screens are easier to navigate the options.

My understanding is that computers with touch screens still follow the same hierarchy, but changing them on the fly before the segment starts is easier. I am told that KOM works the same way as QOM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea it's a touch screen, forgot that the 520 wasn't

They'll probably let you change the default in future firmware. I wish mine defaulted to KOM
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping for that too. Right now I just don't use the Strava segments, which is one of the reasons I got the 520.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all - have a new 520, I'm a powertap user (Elite+ & G3, so both ANT+ enabled) - Garmin is picking up powertap power output no problems but not cadence, that's cadence/speed from the hub & not a separate device.
Only tried this on my training wheel (the Elite+ hub).
Does the Edge 520 pick up both power & cadence and 'translate' the signal, i.e. separate it? Any tips for set-up?

Tried turning cranks for ages, Edge just showing the 'searching' circle indicator but not picking up. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [endoverend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endoverend wrote:
Hi all - have a new 520, I'm a powertap user (Elite+ & G3, so both ANT+ enabled) - Garmin is picking up powertap power output no problems but not cadence, that's cadence/speed from the hub & not a separate device.
Does the Edge 520 pick up both power & cadence and 'translate' the signal, i.e. separate it? Any tips for set-up?

Tried turning cranks for ages, Edge just showing the 'searching' circle indicator but not picking up. Thanks.

I just got a new 520 yesterday and I have vectors. The 520 won't recognize the vector/p1 as a cadence sensor when youre in the settings but it will when you're riding. Just get it hooked up as a power meter. Then go to do a practice ride (start the timer) and pedal. it should start transmitting cadence with the power data and it will all show up. you can stop the timer and discard the practice ride. I believe the 520 will prioritize this cadence over cadence from another device such as a GSC-10.

edit: to be clear, you still won't have the p1 listed as a cadence sensor, but it will push the data through.
Last edited by: racehd: Dec 29, 15 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [endoverend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endoverend wrote:

The Powertap hub only transmits as a power meter, not as any other device. The ANT+ messages it sends include torque, wheel rotations, timestamp, and cadence, which is enough for the Edge to populate the power, speed, and cadence fields. The hub will only estimate cadence if it sees enough of a torque pulse, so you do need to be pedaling against some resistance. You will have to manually add a cadence field to the display, in addition to any power/speed/time fields you might already have.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
endoverend wrote:

The Powertap hub only transmits as a power meter, not as any other device. The ANT+ messages it sends include torque, wheel rotations, timestamp, and cadence, which is enough for the Edge to populate the power, speed, and cadence fields. The hub will only estimate cadence if it sees enough of a torque pulse, so you do need to be pedaling against some resistance. You will have to manually add a cadence field to the display, in addition to any power/speed/time fields you might already have.

Thanks for your reply, I guess spinning cranks by hand not enough torque as you say - have cadence data-field set up but only watts showing by hand-spinning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience with the 520 and Powertap P1 pedals? I am trying to use the pedals to provide my cadence. I can only find the pedals for the power not the cadence on the 520. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [layaway tay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Just connecting to the P1 as power also gives cadence. I did not have to search for a separate cadence device.
Quote Reply

Prev Next