Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 Electrician Needed
Quote | Reply
I have the old style Di2 (10spd) have had a few issues with wires getting crimped when having to take apart/ put back together headset.

I cannot seem to locate this part: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 7970 SM-EW79A-I

in lieu of finding that part, and avoiding replacing with the newest 11 speed groupset, i'd like to find an electrician that i can fedex this wiring harness to and have them rebuild it for me hopefully within a week.

does anyone have any ideas or experience with this? or better a spare SM-EW79A-I around?
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Electrician Needed [SDinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That wiring harness is all but impossible to get hold of. Best bet is to just solder it (or have someone do it for you). Doesn't need to be an electrician, just anyone with the proper tools and a bit of patience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pm user "Di2DIY". He might be able to help.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Electrician Needed [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
That wiring harness is all but impossible to get hold of. Best bet is to just solder it (or have someone do it for you). Doesn't need to be an electrician, just anyone with the proper tools and a bit of patience.

I think i should have put "electrician" in quotes... yes, i need someone really good at doing some clean soldering (i am ok, not great) that also can test the integrity of the circuits (totally not me) it would be good to have them also be able to create plugs for the bullhorn shifters as I have a P5 where i had 'hacked" some buttons on to it.. all worked great until the rear crapped out a week ago and I have no idea where the issue is.. presumption is that it is in this front end..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDinhofer wrote:
(...) that also can test the integrity of the circuits (totally not me) (...)

So, why aren't you just buying a DMM?

Battery powered so all DC. Easy to check the voltage between two points.
Testing wires should just be resistance, no? This includes your buttons (testing open vs closed)

In theory you could be having something else crazy going on I guess. I have no knowledge of di2, but even if you can't figure it out, with a DMM now you have a reliable battery tester. :)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Electrician Needed [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gamebofh wrote:
SDinhofer wrote:
(...) that also can test the integrity of the circuits (totally not me) (...)

So, why aren't you just buying a DMM?

Battery powered so all DC. Easy to check the voltage between two points.
Testing wires should just be resistance, no? This includes your buttons (testing open vs closed)

In theory you could be having something else crazy going on I guess. I have no knowledge of di2, but even if you can't figure it out, with a DMM now you have a reliable battery tester. :)

-Jot

Jot:
two answers, with every time i open the casing to check a crimp, i am actually screwing up wiring worse than it was.
1-i am an ok soldering guy, not the best or neatest, so i need that
2-i have no idea how to use the tester, i am sure it is easy... can you explain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DMM == Digital Multi Meter

You just put the probes on either end of a connection and you can measure things of electrical interest.

In particular, voltage and resistance.

Wires that are in good shape should show some, but low resistance. Breaks would be high resistance.
Batteries and bad connections would show voltages that are either low or wrong, again allowing you to debug.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If that is the main trunk cable, it's tough to fix/splice just because of the materials. And you have to isolate the break, which is likely at the headset area. Worn due to flexing, then could break in close to the present fault.

I thought there was a guy on Ebay selling replacements for these???

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Electrician Needed [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! The Ebay guy is Di2DIY, and he is a member of this site as well as I posted above. He specializes in these harnesses. PM him, or see him on ebay....
Quote Reply