Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P2 seat to post torque?
Quote | Reply
My seat seems to be moving around when I ride. So rather than just keep trying to make tighter, anyone know what the torque spec is for the seat to post?

Thanks

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seat to post torque? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4nm

Make sure you grease the screws so they seat better

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2012 P2 -Spec is 4 Nm Spec, I use a preset 5 Nm wrench. I have to us quite a bit of the carbon grip paste to keep mine from moving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is in your owner's manual, as are all torque specs for bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seat to post torque? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got no manual but what I find online for a cervelo manual says 12 Nm. Why so different than others posts?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other people are confusing what you are asking.

gymrat and triing2run are giving you a different location than what you are asking about. 12nm is correct.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Jul 2, 15 13:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my 2013 Cervelo P2 there is a collar at trailing edge of the seatpost with two screws.

The torque rating is printed on that collar (I am almost 100% sure it is 4nM... my bike is only a couple of months old, this may wear off eventually. If you want i can get a picture of this tonight)

I will tell you that if you over torque those bolts you WILL damage the delicate pointy edge of your seatpost and you will end up with a structurally compromised seatpost; the replacement will cost just over $200

You might want to check out this thread

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Cervelo_P2_seatpost_sacking_P4703276/

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seat to post torque? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Other people are confusing what you are asking.

gymrat and triing2run are giving you a different location than what you are asking about. 12nm is correct.

There is the carbon seat post into the frame, and I believe this is 4 to 5 Nm. (And yes, do not want to break!!)

I am asking about the seat you sit on connected to one of the two holes in the carbon set post, which I read as 12 Nm, and you saying the same.

I am hearing about needing some carbon grease stuff to help it from moving also. Would you recommend it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oops, i had misread your original post.

I was trying to help you avoid a problem i recently had. (I guess i forgot the "don't ask me how i know" comment. For me luckily, the person that overtightened my seatpost corrected the issue and bought the replacement)

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seat to post torque? [skot123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skot123 wrote:
oops, i had misread your original post.

I was trying to help you avoid a problem i recently had. (I guess i forgot the "don't ask me how i know" comment. For me luckily, the person that overtightened my seatpost corrected the issue and bought the replacement)

Ouch, this is why I am asking stuff. I have printed out a torque page from a user manual I found.

I have heard folks say that even some LBS will not torque unless the owner signs a release that if something happens, it is not the shops fault.

So, what happened in your case?

I know I have tightened to about 3 Nm but have yet to have the guts to try 4 or 5 since 3 feels so tight. I could take the bolts out and put some grease on that folks recommend but its holding so why mess with them.

But the seat to post is causing me issues. So 12 Nm is the spec. Just looking for the inputs on getting some carbon grease also.

I would rather be attacked with asking a dumb question than having to buy a new frame. :(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So, what happened in your case?

I had been afraid to take a wrench to my bike bike. It is my first carbon fiber bike and i don't have a torque wrench.

At one point, someone who was working on the bike had over tightened the pinch tightener.

I didn't notice anything at the time.

At one point while riding i hit an unexpectedly harsh bump.

What i didn't realize at the time was that the compromised seatpost started gradually slipping (think outermost layers peeling like a banana)

There were a lot of clicks (which at the time i had though "first carbon bike... must be normal")

Eventually, the seatpost was pulled for inspection and it was trashed.

Amazingly, i had planned on riding the Ironman Canada course a few days prior but a family emergency had postponed that trip. Otherwise i would have been hitting speeds of (verifies that my wife is not watching me type) 50 MPH on the downhills with a structurally compromised seatpost.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seat to post torque? [skot123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, just the seat post and not the frame?

I broke down and bought a number of different torque wrenches. Better save than sorry.

Glad you found this before your race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
[I am hearing about needing some carbon grease stuff to help it from moving also. Would you recommend it?

Carbon grease is a requirement, you only need a small squeeze packet. I use carbon grease on my P3, and use less than the max torque and my seat is very solid. On my original seat post, I took the bolts to max torque and after a year, the post was slightly crushed, hence for my new longer post, I do not go to max torque. Post has never slipped.
Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I am asking about the seat you sit on connected to one of the two holes in the carbon set post, which I read as 12 Nm, and you saying the same.

I am hearing about needing some carbon grease stuff to help it from moving also. Would you recommend it?

If there is no carbon, no carbon paste is necessary (i.e. on your saddle rails). GREASE, however, is a nice addition to any metal to metal contact and - especially - to bolt threads.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seat to post torque? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gymrat wrote:
4nm

Make sure you grease the screws so they seat better
Is that total torque or above running torque? Is that dry or lubricated, and if lubricated is that threads only, head only, head and threads? If you find yourself asking "Huh?" To these questions then you will understand why 4nm could very well be arbitrary.

What's the real answer for carbon bits? As high a friction as you can get on the faying surfaces and as low a torque as possible to the clamping force needed to generate that acceptable friction force.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James H is correct. I misread the OP, and was speaking of the seat post.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seat to post torque? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
n = nano
N = NEwton

M = Mega
m = meter

torque is force x distance (length), so Nm.

nm = nanometer which is 1 / 1000,000,000th of a meter