Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post your IM and 1/2 IM bike splits while on a road bike.
Quote | Reply
What course, bike, clip-on aero bars or not, wheels, helmet, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your IM and 1/2 IM bike splits while on a road bike. [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rapperswil half 3.00 IM France 7h15

Sane bike canyon ultimate 9. Reynolds 60 wheels. Air attack helmet - France was a poor showing 3 weeks later. Scared of not finishing rode to easy though still had crap run so maybe not

Ran 2 at rapp ran 4h45 at France. Ap at rapp 190 ap at France 148 I think

I'm a crap biker
Quote Reply
Re: Post your IM and 1/2 IM bike splits while on a road bike. [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman 70.3 Galway

~2:45 on a borrowed Cervelo S1, nice wheels/tires (50mm), road bars and road helmet. I used my shoes with speedplays; and slammed the bars. I rode ~75% of the course in the drops. Interesting enough had a great run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a HIM distance tri (non-WTC) that I went 2:22 on, 294W AP / 296NP (~0.82IF), flat course but 35kmh winds and slightly wet last 1/3 of the bike. Quite generic alu road bike with Profile Design clip ons, box wheels, Bell meteor helmet, Zoot Ultra trisuit (sleeved). Ran a 1:35, which was about what I expected. Can give you IM data in 18 days.
Last edited by: snaaijert: Jul 1, 15 14:45
Quote Reply
Re: Post your IM and 1/2 IM bike splits while on a road bike. [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent job. Look forward to your IM split...good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Europe 1996 (last time I had a road bike for a tri I think). Maxisport altec 2+, dura ace 8 speed (wow), clip ons, seat angle 71 degree, mavic cxp 33 wheels (cheap bomb proof wheels). Bell pump helmet. 4.47 with two flats. Maybe I should go back to that :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your IM and 1/2 IM bike splits while on a road bike. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow Francois! Was it something like this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monsieur Trois wrote:
What course, bike, clip-on aero bars or not, wheels, helmet, etc.

No IM but Timberman (3x)
2:29:xx
2:30:xx(2x)
clipons
entry level road bike
regular helmet
Zipp 404s

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very much so. It was designed by Armel André, who used to work with Cyrille Guimard. Same type of paint job, but purple. And 650 wheels.
It 'disappeared during an Australia-USA move in 2001, sadly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heard Carolin Steffen talk about her first Hawaii in the mid 2000s. 5.15 bike on a road bike with ITU style cip ons.

Luc van Lierde rode a roadie with clip ons in 1996 for a (I think) 4.24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a race split, but rode the 70.3 Syracuse course the day before the event (spectator day of), Giant TCR frame, Zipp 202s, regular helmet, no clip on bars. Think I averaged 200-210 watts and did it in about 2:45.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2:42

IM 70.3 Switzerland
Canyon Ultimate AL 9.0
With Clip-ons
Mavic Ksyrium Eite
Standard road helmet

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2:47 for a HIM with clip ons, normal road bike. Best on a tri bike was a 2:15, same course, but that was after some more training.
Last edited by: hankscorpio: Jul 2, 15 6:46
Quote Reply
Re: Post your IM and 1/2 IM bike splits while on a road bike. [Aidan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aidan wrote:
Heard Carolin Steffen talk about her first Hawaii in the mid 2000s. 5.15 bike on a road bike with ITU style cip ons.

Luc van Lierde rode a roadie with clip ons in 1996 for a (I think) 4.24

4.30. Hellriegel rode just under 4.25.

That said it was not exactly a road bike either. It was the colnago TT of the time with 700 rear and 650 front, and if I recall, thinner tubes.
No aero helmet either, and I think he was running campy shamal wheels. Loved those wheels by the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2005 IMLP, Felt F50R road bike with clip ons, stock wheels, road helmet: 5:50
2008 IMLP, Trek Madone 5.2 SL with clip ons, 404s, road helmet: 6:05 (had a loooooooong flat change)

Switched to a tri bike in 2009.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your IM and 1/2 IM bike splits while on a road bike. [dmorris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70.3 tremblant WC
Specialized allez with shamal ultra wheelset. No clip on. Kask road helmet. 2h45 in the drops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to do my IM this summer on my roadie. No clips, just in the drops.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your IM and 1/2 IM bike splits while on a road bike. [Canyon93108] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Let us know how you did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timberman '05. My 2nd HIM ever.

Klein Quantum Race '99: (big, beer-can Alu tubes) w/ Ultegra 9spd , clip-ons, 404's, ProRace 23, butyl tubes, regular helmet, 2 regular bottles.
Biked 2:31.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Post your IM and 1/2 IM bike splits while on a road bike. [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Timberman '05. My 2nd HIM ever.

Klein Quantum Race '99: (big, beer-can Alu tubes) w/ Ultegra 9spd , clip-ons, 404's, ProRace 23, butyl tubes, regular helmet, 2 regular bottles.
Biked 2:31.

If we are counting road bike with clip ons (vs Road bike in drop position), then Kestrel 200Sc road bike, clip ons Zipp 404, road helmet, around 8 times at Tupper Lake 2:27 - 2:31 from 1991 to 2005....thankfully we have high tech gear to offset the declining engine and lack of neck flexibility!
Quote Reply