Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anybody do the HITS Half at Palm Springs?
Quote | Reply
Thinking about putting this on the schedule next Dec. Any thoughts on the half?
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody do the HITS Half at Palm Springs? [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it a while back. Great smallish, family feel type of race.

What I can remember:

Not that many people racing, maybe a couple hundred.

Transitions are great. you get a stool.

Very flat race, run and bike is pancake flat but that makes it pretty windy.

Coldish weather during that time of year, I think it is was mid 60s when I raced.

Water is FREEZING. I think high 50s. Wore neoprene socks and cap, and still freezing.
Swim was along the shore, so 1/2 the race, you can stand up and walk it if you had to.
I didn't see walking, but some standing (probably like WTF) but noticed my hand would scoop the sand sometimes.

No really enforcement of rules, probably bc of lack of marshals. I think there is only 1 motorcycle. Saw a lot of drafting, etc.

RD gives you his cell phone if you need SAG. He will send them out to you to find you. Again, I think bc of funding, etc.

Watch out for dogs on the bike. There are alot of them. Had to dodge/come to almost a complete stop a family of 4 or so dogs. I was scared and didn't know what to do, if they would attack, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced HITS in Ocala and am racing Palm Springs this this year. I was also I palm springs last week on vacation. The course is between Indio and Salton Sea (Mecca) semi-rural and flat. Roads are typical desert except where there have been recent repaving. Ample places to stay and stuff to do within 30 minutes of transition.

HITS race management. Somewhere between Ironman and a good locally run race. You get your distance, you get support (stocked aid stations and emergency repair vehicle), post race meal and you get your generic medal if that is your thing. And yes the race director gives you his number. I've never raced in December, but I missed the cheap price on Havasu.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody do the HITS Half at Palm Springs? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the half 2 years ago and the full last year. Given that it's desert, weather is hit or miss.

2 years ago when I did the half, it was ~30 degrees when I woke up in the morning. Cold day throughout (approx. high 50s low 60s) and got extremely windy (15mph with gusts up to 30) at the start of the run.

Last year when I did the full however, weather was almost as perfect as it can be - low to mid 70s. Minimal wind.

All other support details are as the others have commented.

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race. I've done the full and the half. I generally agree with the other comments.

Last year the weather was very nice (high in the 70s) and the lake was a little warmer (high 50s/low 60s). You will almost certainly get some wind, as the bike is an exposed course out in the desert.

The 70.3 gets over 400 racers to start, and the swim is a mass start with the 70.3 and 140.6 racers, which I like (more feet to draft off in the water).

If you register early the price is dirt cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the sentiments above. To add, it's a low key race, the area is basically farm land on one end and golf courses/country clubs on the other, inhabited by mostly wealthy senior citizens. Basically, the atmosphere is the opposite of IMAZ, which is in a college town. Consequently, local support for the race is almost non-existent. The only people you'll see on the course are family and friends of the racers (who are also many of the aid station volunteers). I did the full and it got lonely out there once all of the half distance folks were done. I treated the race as a long training day, so no biggie.
Last edited by: spool: Jul 3, 15 11:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done it twice. Everyone's comments echo my sentiments. Water was warmer one year...maybe low 60s (I think I did the Olympic that year). Bike and run course are very uninspiring and yes, the occasional stray dog might chase you. They used to have insane deals...I think I did it in 2013 for $125 entry fee, but I haven't seen deals like that since those first few years they had it.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply