Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which latex tube are you using???
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm wondering which is the most popular latex tube (with removalbe core) here at ST. And where do you buy it?

- Bontrager XXX Latex Road
- Vredestein Latex Race
- Vittoria Latex
- Challenge SL Latex

My preference was for Bontrager because they never fail for me but they are hard to purchase online. Vredestein did fail a few time but as I understand, everyone of them can have bad batch.

Fred
Quote Reply
Re: Which latex tube are you using??? [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vittoria -- it was the cheapest I could find.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria (not Race) with 51mm valves.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria. I find they hold air better than the Vittoria tubulars, which makes me think they are thicker.

Haven't had a puncture with them yet (one blowout due to a sidewall failure of the tire).

Used to use sealant with them until I saw the chunky, snotty mess after that blowout.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also vittoria, basically they were cheapest ;) got them online. Never seen them stocked at an LBS (but have not looked hard for them)
Quote Reply
Re: Which latex tube are you using??? [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am using the Vredesteins and I order them online through Western Bike Works. I have only had one fail, but it was user error as I allowed the tire to go completely flat and wasn't careful when I pumped it back up again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michelin 13$ cdn on wiggle

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria via TriSports (it's a great way to use the USAT membership credit).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used both the Challenge and Vittoria tubes, and I prefer the Vittoria by far. The latex is thicker on the Vittoria tubing. I'm sure it weighs more, but the Vittoria is a little more forgiving with installation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of those listed, I've had good experiences with the Vittoria ones (they are red). My only other latex tube was Michelin and I had a lot of problems with them around the valve-stem area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever I find cheapest. I use latex for everything -- 700/23 road, 700/32 for 'cross, 26 and 29 x 2.2 mtb -- so I have to shop around.

I've used those four and the Michelins and beside user error and a rare bad batch I haven't had an issue with any of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bontrager's with removable valves.

WyoJoe

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right - Henry Ford
Quote Reply
Re: Which latex tube are you using??? [WyoJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WyoJoe wrote:
Bontrager's with removable valves.
Same here, I can get them locally if I get in a bind. Price has gone up $3 over the last few years though.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Which latex tube are you using??? [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
michelin 13$ cdn on wiggle

+1, however the OP did stipulate removable cores, which the Michelins are not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always gone Vittoria when I want removable core, Michelin when I don't. Never had any issues with either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria with 51mm stems and removable valve cores. I've used challenge and michelin in the past and had various issues with each... might be a small sample size anecdote though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As i can see, there no clear favorite here...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Challenge but they are more difficult to install than Vittoria's.
Quote Reply
Re: Which latex tube are you using??? [WyoJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody know how the Bontrager race x lite compares to some of the others mentioned? I founds some laying around and they appear to be a lightweight butyl. With that in mind do you miss out on most of the latex advantages?
Quote Reply
Re: Which latex tube are you using??? [Maddog23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maddog23 wrote:
Anybody know how the Bontrager race x lite compares to some of the others mentioned? I founds some laying around and they appear to be a lightweight butyl. With that in mind do you miss out on most of the latex advantages?

Yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Bontrager, but haven't used them yet. Special order from LBS (although they now stock Vittoria). I've used Race XXX Lite butyl tubes w/RVC for years, but about to switch to latex for deep section wheels (Aeolus 9.0s).

Just stuck with what to do about the rear disc (900). There already isn't much room for a chuck, even using 32mm stems.

From previous threads, it looks like the Michelin 40s (actually 36mm) are about the shortest available. Short of taking a Dremel to the carbon, are there any other options that I'm missing for shorter-stemmed latex tubes?

Getting air into the disc has almost been more trouble than it's worth. I'm wondering if it might be just as fast to race an Aeolus 9.0 w/latex as it would be a disc w/butyl (Santa Cruz course - flat and windy).
Quote Reply
Re: Which latex tube are you using??? [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which valve extenders are you using with those? I just ordered some from there, but afterwards realized they don't have a removable core.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the bontragers because my LBS carries them and I get a big discount. I've used challenge and vreds as well. I think vreds were my favorites, bontragers second, and challenge third...but I can't really put my finger on why. Challenge were the only ones that failed for any reason beside a puncture - yesterday in fact, I pushed my pump head onto the valve stem and it blew, failed at the valve stem. That being said they were 2 years old and had been installed and removed many times. They don't seem to be nearly as fragile as some people make them out to be. I hit some debris on the road and just happened to catch a red blur a little while later as my tire was spinning. I stopped and found a pretty good size red bubble of challenge tube protruding through a sidewall cut. It never blew though. I changed it out with my butyl spare which did not stick out through the sidewall but I put the challenge tube back in when I changed the tire. Figured it would blow pretty soon after that due to the stress on it bubbling out through the side of the tire, but it's either still going over a year later, or it's the one that blew yesterday for unrelated reasons.
Quote Reply