Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman announces new start times…. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i don't think anybody had any issue, in concept, with the start times TriEqual advocated for. the consideration was the impact on other stakeholders. could you make the pro women's race better for them without making it worse for others? others would be volunteers, those in the local community, specifically police, motorists, business owners, and then of course the other athletes (pro men who'd have to start earlier, AGers who'd have to start later).

the only particularly badly affected cohort are the 65+, 70+, and older AGers in kona. was the midnight cut-off an imperative? what bad thing happens if we run to 12:10am? i don't know.

Is there something magic about a midnight cutoff versus 12:10am? Do people turn into pumpkins? Do AG men actually get 17:05 to complete the race and AG women only 16:50? If people turn into pumpkins, why not adjust everyone and start them an additional 10 minutes earlier? Sunrise, if it matters is at 6:17am on race day. Or have a 17 hr cutoff for AG Men at 11:55PM and 17 hr cutoff for AG women at 12:10AM.

6:25 A.M. Pro Men (Same as 2014)
6:30 A.M. Pro Women (Same as 2014)
6:55 A.M. Age Group Men (5 minutes later than last year)
7:10 A.M. Age Group Women (10 minutes later than last year)
Last edited by: mcycle: Jul 1, 15 20:34
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman announces new start times…. [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
Yup. Chances are good he will be playing croquet in St. Pete. ;) (just kidding gary)

I think the start times for Austria are fine.

For Kona, they have it upside down. The age groupers should all start at 6:15 a.m. At least they get a few of hours of reduced heat and wind. Let the pros battle the wind and heat for 9 hours or more, instead of someone like Bob Scott or Madonna Buder. Start the female pros at 11 and the males at 11:30. Of course, the networks would whine.....

Just my .02 worth.

Oh, they shouldn't have changed Austria this late in the cycle. Implement the new start times next year, if appropriate. Why throw this wrench in the machinery at the last minute?

Generally speaking I think WTC does a great job, but lately some of these races have not seemed up to par and I think it may because they've expanded so quickly. Management needs to get its race directors under control and start setting meaningful rules for things like water quality, when to shorten a race, start times, age group waves, etc. It's been kind of a wild west show with some of these RDs. In their defense, I've notice some uniformity creeping into the races, but it's mostly about what's on the web page. It's all boilerplate.

Imagine if they started the pros in Kona 11 am or noon so they are all heading out on the bike before the first age groupers come back. The pros would have a clear path for the entire bike course, but then they would run through a ton of age groupers who would be cheering them on. Top pros with an 11 am start would be finishing just after 7 pm....just make a parallel finish chute for the pro race....it could be pretty awesome!

Now you can start the age groupers earlier when it is cooler! Somehow not having the first one across the line being a pro would not fly though, even though they are totally different races. For the pros, the bike might be a touch slower but runs could be pretty fast given that they would be getting done at dusk/sunset/darkness...crazy thought!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman announces new start times…. [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, in reality, only a few AG cyclists would get caught since they would have nearly a 6 hour headstart. As Dev said, the run course would be busy, but it would be quite a spectacle to see the top Pros running when most of the people still out there would love to have that action rather than the dropping sun as their only entertainment.

Not suggesting this is ever going to happen, but it seems much better than the drafting disaster that exists now

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman announces new start times…. [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Well, in reality, only a few AG cyclists would get caught since they would have nearly a 6 hour headstart. As Dev said, the run course would be busy, but it would be quite a spectacle to see the top Pros running when most of the people still out there would love to have that action rather than the dropping sun as their only entertainment.

Not suggesting this is ever going to happen, but it seems much better than the drafting disaster that exists now

Jack

How does it change the 'drafting disaster'? Do you mean female pros not being able to draft off top AG / being swamped by packs of drafting AGers?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you not heard or seen the AG race stories the last few years. The majority of the AG field comes out of the water very close together which puts tons of riders on the road at the same time.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman announces new start times…. [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
It would suck totally to wait until 12:05 to start a 70.3.

I want every race to start at noon. Not everyone in the world rolls out of bed at 4:30 am.

Agreed. I'd love a noon start. A decent nights sleep and time to properly eat and hydrate.

Count me in!

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never say never. This has happened at the Chicago triathlon many times - pros going off at noon. I think one year an AG'er on a very crowded bike course crashed into Andy Potts ending his race. I agree it's a bad idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman announces new start times…. [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Have you not heard or seen the AG race stories the last few years. The majority of the AG field comes out of the water very close together which puts tons of riders on the road at the same time.

Jack

But how will starting all the AGers at 06:15 and later the pros at noon (as suggested in the earlier email) help this? You're still going to end up with a bulge of AGers on the road together as you describe. The only difference is that the pros will still be in bed and they only make up a fraction of the starters.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman announces new start times…. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Slowman and All,

If I had a vote ..... I would vote for keeping the 17 hour cutoff for us older folk ..... make it 00:10 (AM) or whatever it takes.

There are not many of us .......... which argues strongly for that policy ..... (although it also argues that if there are not many of us ..... who cares?)

Having the old folks in the races adds a dimension to the Ironman that provides some gravitas and tradition that is not easily come by.

I expect we will see a great deal of ink about Lew Hollander come next Ironman Kona.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In that scenario, the AG race could be broken up with 15min waves starting from 6:15 (3 or 4 waves max). That opens up the AG mass issue and still gets most everyone off the road before the pro race catches up.

Its fun to fantasize!

Jack

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman announces new start times…. [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
omg this is the most awesome idea ever! they get to sleep in, have to deal with moving through the packs (would make their legal drafting somewhat more challenging). wow! loving that idea!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman announces new start times…. [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Imagine this at Cozumel! I'd lover to see the pros coming in at midnight. It would keep the great Cozumel crowds out there.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Last edited by: Robert: Jul 2, 15 14:38
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman announces new start times�. [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
Imagine this at Cozumel! I'd lover to see r h e pros coming in at midnight. It would keep the great Cozumel crowds out there.

AS YOU well know, :) the ONE thing we have no problems with is local support. lots of crowds here even with rain.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman announces new start times…. [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Missed this comment earlier, but I give it a definite thumbs up. Why would they not only start the older age groups later, but then short them 10 minutes? Sometime, when the meltdown happens, and it will happen to almost everyone if you race for awhile, you might need that 10 minutes. I finished one race with only 14 minutes to spare. Of course, all my races are timed by sundial....

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Last edited by: Robert: Jul 2, 15 14:44
Quote Reply

Prev Next