Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jack Daniels' Training Plan Question
Quote | Reply
Probably a stoopid question, but was hoping for some clarification form those who might know. Following the Daniels marathon training plan....15 weeks out from my race. My Q1 session this week is...

Quote:
Sets of 1,000M, 1,200M or 1 mile @ I Pace with 3, 4 or 5 min recovery jogs to total lesser of 6% of weekly mileage and 8K

So does that "total" (in my case, 6% of weekly mileage) include the recovery jogs, or does it just pertain to the intervals @ I Pace? 6% of my weekly mileage this week is 3.36 miles and I will be doing 1K intervals. If it is just the intervals, then that is basically 5 1K efforts. If it includes the recovery jogs, then it is only 3 intervals. Maybe I'll just split the difference and do 4.

The instructions can be interpreted both ways, IMO. Any insight appreciated.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Daniels' Training Plan Question [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Probably a stoopid question, but was hoping for some clarification form those who might know. Following the Daniels marathon training plan....15 weeks out from my race. My Q1 session this week is...

Quote:
Sets of 1,000M, 1,200M or 1 mile @ I Pace with 3, 4 or 5 min recovery jogs to total lesser of 6% of weekly mileage and 8K

So does that "total" (in my case, 6% of weekly mileage) include the recovery jogs, or does it just pertain to the intervals @ I Pace? 6% of my weekly mileage this week is 3.36 miles and I will be doing 1K intervals. If it is just the intervals, then that is basically 5 1K efforts. If it includes the recovery jogs, then it is only 3 intervals. Maybe I'll just split the difference and do 4.

It does not include the recovery jogs.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was going to be a follow up thread to the "Liquor makes you quicker" thread
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Daniels' Training Plan Question [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Quote:
Sets of 1,000M, 1,200M or 1 mile @
I Pace with 3, 4 or 5 min recovery jogs to total lesser of 6% of weekly mileage and 8K

It does not include the recovery jogs.

Hugh

Hmmmm...not the answer I was hoping for. Anyone else read it the other way? Wink

Looks like 2 extra doses of suffering at lunch today.

Thanks for the feedback.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The percentage refers to the amount of time/distance run at that pace so no it doesn't include the recovery. If you think it's too hard then maybe you're working from the wrong VDOT, or you should dial back the percentage. The percentage given is a max as far as I know, you can build up to this when you're new at it, so starting with three 1km intervals, or doing 5 times half a mile is not a bad way to start IMO (but then take less rest between also) There are a lot of different variants in the book :)
Last edited by: snaaijert: Jul 1, 15 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Daniels' Training Plan Question [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, I know my VDOT is correct and based on last week, I would say the workout is just about right (I did 5 intervals last week, but had the question when I was reviewing this weeks plan). I hit the first 4 with no problems (was actually under goal pace by 10-15") but struggled a bit on the 5th (7" over goal pace). So better pacing should allow me to hit all 5. I am also using the 5' recovery interval for longer rest, mostly due to injury concerns, so I am adjusting the workouts where I feel it is prudent.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the whole point of this workout is VO2, which roughly translates into "horrible but short, partial recoveries". Don't exceed 1:1 rest:work (and really should be more like 5:00 running to 3:00 rest). You don't want to fully recover between intervals, this is not a "run fast when fresh and feel awesome" workout, it is a "run sorta fast while f*cked" workout. But stick to the plan, I think JD's book is by far the best plan for the masses program out there. And unlike the $hit that the training bible guys put out, it actually works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question: Why are you choosing longer recovery periods to decrease injury?

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Daniels' Training Plan Question [goldentech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goldentech wrote:
So the whole point of this workout is VO2, which roughly translates into "horrible but short, partial recoveries". Don't exceed 1:1 rest:work (and really should be more like 5:00 running to 3:00 rest). You don't want to fully recover between intervals, this is not a "run fast when fresh and feel awesome" workout, it is a "run sorta fast while f*cked" workout. But stick to the plan, I think JD's book is by far the best plan for the masses program out there. And unlike the $hit that the training bible guys put out, it actually works.

Quote:
Question: Why are you choosing longer recovery periods to decrease injury?

I'm lumping my response to both questions together, since the reply kinda deals with both.....

1) My recovery is pretty much on a 1:1 ratio. My 1K times, based on my VDOT (46) are ~5' / KM. So a 5 minute recovery puts me @ 1:1. I will be looking to shorten the recovery time moving forward. I am definitely not choosing a longer recovery so I feel "fresh" for my next interval....

2) Achilles issues have been a problem for me and based on my experiences so far, a slightly longer rest period gives my calves a chance to relax a bit more, decreasing the overall stress I feel in my calves during and post-workout. Am I *correct* in my assessment? Dunno....seems to be working, but cannot definitively say it is causation vs. correlation.

I do know that in the past I get injured because I have run "too fast" and not enough at an Easy pace. So I am only dipping my toe into the idea of more structured tempo / intensity workouts, seeing what works and what may not (hopefully figuring that part out before I get injured!!) Absolutely a work in progress and I am open to input / suggestions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duh....I'm an idiot. My interval times for the 1K are 4 minutes, not 5. So I am over the 1:1 ratio.

That said, run went well today and I was sub-goal pace for all 5 intervals this week. I'll be shortening my recovery periods moving forward.

Thanks for the input.

Quote Reply