Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A very common occurrence with internet troubleshooting is that once an individual fixes their problem they very rarely go back and update the troubleshooting thread. There is an XKCD about this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run PR's: 18:05 - 36:58 - 1:22:59 - 3:07

Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [PhxTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah,
I hear what your talking about...when it works great gives me an awesome barometer on how hard I'm working on hills but unfortunately it sucks with my Garmin 500 and drops the signal constantly so I"m just shooting for for inconsistency. Will be upgrading to the Garmin 520 for other reasons hopefully that fixes this unfortunate turn. Really not great and no consistent readings due to dropping the signal too often.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, I suspect that as mentioned elsewhere, Stages works well for the pro teams in part because they're pretty likely to have their balance well known and well trained....meaning the Stages might have pretty strong utility even compared to SRMs, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
v0coder wrote:
Meanwhile another world championship TT is won on a stages power meter.

But I know they will never be good enough for The Amateur Triathlete.

Are you sure he wasn't using one of the double sided prototype units?

Team Sky ran SRM with Stages when they picked them up as a sponsor so they know the offset differences and individual rider quirks. The rest of us aren't so lucky.

On a different note, I just picked up a Stages 7710 for the track bike because it was dirt cheap. I'll report back with what I think of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
v0coder wrote:

Are you sure he wasn't using one of the double sided prototype units?

Team Sky ran SRM with Stages when they picked them up as a sponsor so they know the offset differences and individual rider quirks. The rest of us aren't so lucky.

On a different note, I just picked up a Stages 7710 for the track bike because it was dirt cheap. I'll report back with what I think of it.

he would have won even if he was riding with ibike power meter...

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto here, how is this acceptable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
v0coder wrote:

Translation...

1) The winner doesn't need a PM to pace well...he's a world class athlete. Most all world class athletes just know how to manage energy output over the distance almost instinctively.

2) He is getting compensated to use the Stages.

3) He likely used another power meter in training as well.... or the training regimen doesn't rely on accurate power numbers.

You see that most Timex sponsored athletes for example are using their watches, which are pretty good, but still use a Garmin 500 or 510 on the bike because the Timex cycle trainer does not have power averaging. Trying to use 1s power for pacing is utter nonsense. You end up doing averages in your head. I have a Magellan GPS watch that's like that. Horrible smoothing to the point where the only good pacing info you get are when you are given splits

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
Trev wrote:
Alex, (if you are still on?), is this a problem with all power meters, or rather a Garmin problem, or is this a Stages only issue?

Someone emailed me and suggested it might be that the one on the wrist lost reception when the one on the bars didn't.

It's actually more rider/bike dependent than anything, though it manifests itself with certain combinations more than others. Typically speaking the most common combinations where drops occur are:

Stages + 910XT on aerobars
Quarq + 910XT on aerobars (much rarer, seems limited to older Quarq units)
Vector + 910XT on aerobars

It's virtually never seen on PowerTap, Pioneer, or others. It's also virtually never seen on road bikes, almost always triathlon bikes. And almost always when the watch is worn on the wrist. Rarely is it the Edge series seeing it, but again, really depends on placement.

Garmin and Stages have both tango'd on this for a while, with the consumer left out in the dust. It's hard to assign one company complete fault, as it's a bit of a combination of both, plus the reality of different bike configurations, user placements, and body types.

About the only thing you can really do is (if using a wrist watch) try mounting inside/outside of wrist, or on left-side. That tends to help, since it's more line of sight.

how can u expect them to figure out why the stages/garmin combo doesn't work when they can't even figure out why their pedals don't work!??!?!?!?

I am sure u have seen their vector forum... what a shitshow...

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
Trev wrote:
Alex, (if you are still on?), is this a problem with all power meters, or rather a Garmin problem, or is this a Stages only issue?

Someone emailed me and suggested it might be that the one on the wrist lost reception when the one on the bars didn't.

It's actually more rider/bike dependent than anything, though it manifests itself with certain combinations more than others. Typically speaking the most common combinations where drops occur are:

Stages + 910XT on aerobars
Quarq + 910XT on aerobars (much rarer, seems limited to older Quarq units)
Vector + 910XT on aerobars

It's virtually never seen on PowerTap, Pioneer, or others. It's also virtually never seen on road bikes, almost always triathlon bikes. And almost always when the watch is worn on the wrist. Rarely is it the Edge series seeing it, but again, really depends on placement.

Garmin and Stages have both tango'd on this for a while, with the consumer left out in the dust. It's hard to assign one company complete fault, as it's a bit of a combination of both, plus the reality of different bike configurations, user placements, and body types.

About the only thing you can really do is (if using a wrist watch) try mounting inside/outside of wrist, or on left-side. That tends to help, since it's more line of sight.

how can u expect them to figure out why the stages/garmin combo doesn't work when they can't even figure out why their pedals don't work!??!?!?!?

I am sure u have seen their vector forum... what a shitshow...

Yeah, the whole FW update on Vector is a fiasco, mostly because they just haven't offered a roll-back plan, which would fix it for the small (but vocal) percentage that's impacted.

That said, the things noted in this thread is actually a totally different team (Vector vs head units).

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
The actual device has been nearly flawless for me. Just change batteries and I only occasionally get a drop out. Maybe once every 30-40 minutes on average for just 3-5s.

And you are a coach?!

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
The actual device has been nearly flawless for me. Just change batteries and I only occasionally get a drop out. Maybe once every 30-40 minutes on average for just 3-5s.

And you are a coach?!

Yes, and I wife that I prefer to stay married to... so telling her "hey I need to buy a new $1000 power meter" isn't an option. I'd have to choose to race less, which would defeat the point. I choose the Stages for it's low price and accepted the consequences. But a few drop outs in a 60-300 minute ride on a power meter that already isn't accurate, isn't really a big deal. It's a pacing tool and little else. I accept it for that.

Seriously? Is losing a a few data points out of every 3600 that big of a deal? Really? I've also gone whole 2 hour rides and never seen it drop out. Other times, again every 30-40 minutes or so. If the battery is almost dead that (how I know it's time ot replace it even before I get a warning) It will happen every 5-10 minutes. Now that is annoying.

I prefer to focus on what my athlete's limiters are. Missing packets of data and spending hours pouring through power files, isn't what's limiting their performance. Getting the right mix of workouts at the right time and having a good race plan is.

I consider a major device failure, major software glitch, issues with battery life, difficulty calibrating it, short battery life, frequent and long dropouts. Getting some drops from vibration, EM interference or signal shielding of some kind, one every 1000 packets or so is less of a concern.

Now my Timex cycle computer that completely corrupted and lost entire ride files about 3-5% of the time. Ya... now that's a serious problem. It also had no power averaging.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
u can get a GOOD PM nowadays for 400-600

go to ebay and look for PT wheels, or quarqs... u can even get a p2max spider NEW for 600 nowadays.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a Stages PM almost since day one. I had issues with the first two (one fell off during a ride, it was an adhesive issue back then, and was replaced. Another had some issues and was replaced. rapidly) Since then, no issues at all. I do about 1000K a month and it works fine. I assume Sky did their homework when choosing to go with Stages, so I'm comfortable with it as well. Of course, now there are many options out there, including more crank arm based units, so it will force everyone to up their game.

Now, do I look at my Power Files with a microscope to see if there were dropped sections? No. Again, it Sky, who really focus on quality and reliability think it works for them, good enough for me

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does anyone have problems with high readings ?

i was moving to 165 crank arms and needed the whole crank so went for the stages option

today i rode for 3 hours at 340 watts , NP 375

i wish i was that good

i have contacted them as its brand new
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cervelo-van wrote:
I have had a Stages PM almost since day one. I had issues with the first two (one fell off during a ride, it was an adhesive issue back then, and was replaced. Another had some issues and was replaced. rapidly) Since then, no issues at all. I do about 1000K a month and it works fine. I assume Sky did their homework when choosing to go with Stages, so I'm comfortable with it as well. Of course, now there are many options out there, including more crank arm based units, so it will force everyone to up their game.

Now, do I look at my Power Files with a microscope to see if there were dropped sections? No. Again, it Sky, who really focus on quality and reliability think it works for them, good enough for me

“Gullibility is a knife at the throat of civilization.”
― David Wong
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta be honest and say I have had drops with the Stages on my road bike using the Garmin 520, but none when using my phone or another head unit. That said, the 520 works fine with my Stages on my mt bike. I know that the placement plays an issue. Those that ride with a 920 and have a far reach to the aero bars and have a BTA bottle, and food carriers, etc., you will likely have more trouble with the signal. Having SRMs on bike prior, I have to say, I never had these problems. Maybe I should get the SRM PC8 head unit...maybe that would solve any problems :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next