Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I never understand why some just go nuts about wires. My trainers have wires, they are routed, and I never touch anything.

Same thing on my computers around my house and TV's. All connected with hard wiring.

I frequently disagree with most of what you say on many topics. However, this is one I agree with you on. I'm looking at my CT now and the only wire I can see is the cadence sensor. Even then it's not something that I touch more than about once per month. My TT bike lives on my trainer except for racing so it comes off about once per month.

I love my CT for the simple fact that it's bulletproof. It just works, every time.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Looks like a cycleops powerbeam, I think people forget they exist

My thoughts exactly. With all the issues with the original KICKR and how archaic the CT is, I went with a Powerbeam and have been really happy with it. Got it for $800 NIB when they were on sale a while ago.

Though I'm glad to see this offering from Wahoo, more competition is good. Just look at plummeting powermeter prices, maybe electronic trainers will see something similar (albeit less dramatic, if at all).
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
I never understand why some just go nuts about wires. My trainers have wires, they are routed, and I never touch anything.

Same thing on my computers around my house and TV's. All connected with hard wiring.

I feel like now would be a good time to quote all of your posts about wireless shifting. Hypocrite much???

Wireless shifting = no wires/cables that create drag. This is not a factor on a trainer.

Is that offset by the larger battery on the FD/RD? With a proper stem and cable routing, the wiring is basically hidden from the wind. Id much rather deal with connectivity issues indoors vs during a race or long training ride.

PS...Dave doesn't care about aerodynamics enough to worry about the shifter cables. So he certainly wasn't looking for wireless shifting for that reason. He has heard stories of connection issues with the wires and wants wireless so it is more foolproof. Hence my comment about hypocrites :-)
Last edited by: Jctriguy: Jul 1, 15 19:35
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say both indoors and out; wireless is nice, but if optimized, wires are not that big of a deal. I think this was kind of Dave's point.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would consider the refurbished option with $150 saving. Same specs and comes with full warranty as a new one.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
I'd say both indoors and out; wireless is nice, but if optimized, wires are not that big of a deal. I think this was kind of Dave's point.
I think it depends how you use an indoor trainer. If you have a bike on the trainer permanently (or 3 velotrons like Dave) the wires aren't an issue. If you run a multi rider studio and have people in and out everyday, mounting sensors and moving trainers, wires are a bit of a pain.

I think the bigger issue people have with CT is the limited options for connecting to modern devices. That seems to be the main appeal of wireless, better connectivity to tablets and other software apps.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tablets, I agree. Software, I disagree as there are all kinds of options, including some specific to CT.
Last edited by: J_R: Jul 2, 15 5:59
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am also looking to do GPS file courses where the slope changes automatically
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Computrainer.

To watch Zwift on my home theater (120" screen, baby!) which is 20-25 feet away from my computer necessitates a long stereo cable from my computer to the handlebar controller.

I also don't have a dedicated "man cave", so after my indoor training ride, I have to pack up everything. Setting it up is also cumbersome with all the wires. Now, if I had a permanent place for the trainer (i.e., without the need for packing it up and all), I wouldn't mind the wires.

As it is, am very happy with my Computrainer, but the messy "wirey" set up is something I can live without.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have considered the refurbished ones & if I ever make the jump, I would definitely consider them heavily. The problem is they currently only have them in 10 speed on their site.

I also live in Atlanta only a few miles from Wahoo's offices & I have considered knocking on their door & asking if they had a ding & dent model laying around that I could have! Or dumpster diving behind their complex...haha
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alfalfameister wrote:
I have a Computrainer.

To watch Zwift on my home theater (120" screen, baby!) which is 20-25 feet away from my computer necessitates a long stereo cable from my computer to the handlebar controller.

I also don't have a dedicated "man cave", so after my indoor training ride, I have to pack up everything. Setting it up is also cumbersome with all the wires. Now, if I had a permanent place for the trainer (i.e., without the need for packing it up and all), I wouldn't mind the wires.

As it is, am very happy with my Computrainer, but the messy "wirey" set up is something I can live without.

The typical defense of the wired setup is that you are peasant and your opinions are invalid.

To the usual chorus of ardent CT defenders, if a CT works for you or anyone else personally that's great. The mere existence of these new products is not a threat to you or your manhood and no one is advocating that you be forced to give up your CT and purchase a replacement. Most of us bought CT's years before there were any viable alternatives and the decision to make that purchase is in no way invalidated by the existence of newer products.

That said, as the owner of both I could never in good conscious fathom recommending to someone who was new to the market to go out and purchase a new CT today for double the cost when the best defense that most people can offer is 'look at these specific scenarios where the shortcomings are not even that noticeable!'.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took advantage of the 10% off and ordered a Kickr Snap for $764. Seems pretty reasonable for something that's essentially very similar to a modern Computrainer.

Wasn't expecting it to get shipped right away (thought it was only available as of some time next month) but it turns out it is already on its way. Hopefully not too many bugs and more fun than my regular fluid trainer.

Quote | Reply
Yesterday I did my first ride on my Kickr Snap and rode my TT bike with Power2Max powermeter. I rode it in ergometer mode at 200 watts for the majority of time with a few short intervals at 300-310 watts. I was very pleased to see the 3s averages of my P2M showed to be pretty much spot on, at any given time the value from my P2M was within the Kickr value +/- 10 watts since the kickr has a more consistent braking system and slight changes in my cadence cause slight changes in power before the kickr has had a chance to correct for it. Note I rode for about an hour, in my garage (it was >90 degrees).

Now that said, the first 20 minutes I couldn't get my kickr to apply the right braking force and in the beginning when my power was set to 200w my P2M showed only around 140 watts. I found out it was speed related, riding in too big of a gear (i.e. too high speed) seems to not allow the kickr apply enough (or even any) braking. Played with tire pressure as well but that made very little difference. If the speed is slow enough it worked great.

Quote | Reply
Yes. Like a computer trainer with up-to-date software, that works on Windows, Mac, iPad, tablet, or phone, and has open protocols allowing the user to use any software written for it by any third party vendor. In the picture it looks kind of like a computer trainer . . but that's about it.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Mr. October wrote:
Yes. Like a computer trainer with up-to-date software, that works on Windows, Mac, iPad, tablet, or phone, and has open protocols allowing the user to use any software written for it by any third party vendor. In the picture it looks kind of like a computer trainer . . but that's about it.

Odd--CTs tend to do extremely well working with other applications. There's another thread that talks about the problem of writing applications for Ant+ trainers. The other big difference is that CTs actually work ;)

Not if you don't have a Windows PC. :)

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply

Prev Next